NAF Logo
leftstar May 28, 2024 - 08:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
A knee in the groin is worth two in the face. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VirralOffline
Post subject: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2008 - 11:51 AM

Australia
I've been tossing up with the idea of running a new batch of Weather Dice and I wanted to see who was interested. I had a limited run of these made last year for the Australian Blood Bowl community.

They are black 16mm dice with the images etched in and then painted. You roll both dice (or one at a time I suppose), and if you get a white cloud the weather is fine. If you get a red cloud then you take the result from the other die. After determining the weather you can then put the relevant die to one side face up as a reminder.

Cost would be $20 AUD for a set of two dice (one of each type).

The cost of postage will be (all in Australian dollars):

1-5 Sets: $10
5-10 Sets: $18
10-15 Sets: $25

Add $5 if you would like registered post which includes a unique package ID for tracking purposes. I am happy to combine orders where possible to save postage costs for people.

So price and postage for one set would be around $30 AUD which is currently equivalent to roughly 20 USD, 13 GPB or 16 EUR.

Right now I am looking for expressions of interest. I would need to order 50 sets of dice to make this cost effective, and it would not be an insignificant cash outlay on my behalf. So unless I get sufficient interest ahead of time I won't be able to go ahead.

If I get enough interest I'll go ahead with the order, and contact everyone who puts their hands up once I have them on hand.

Any questions/comments would be most welcome!

Reply with quote Back to top
AK_DaveOffline
Post subject: RE: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2008 - 11:56 AM

Anchorage, Alaska
Do these dice offer the same statistical probability of adverse weather as the normal weather table? Doing the math in my head, I don't think so but I don't know what the dice surfaces show.

skritterOffline
Post subject: RE: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Geelong Australia
Surprised To QUOTE Virral

Arrow Another tread another forum:

The first dice would have 5x White Cloud (Fine Weather) and 1x Red Thunderbolt Cloud (Bad Weather)

The second dice would have 1x Snowflake (Blizzard), 2x Blue Rainclouds, 2x Yellow Sun (Very Sunny) and 1x Red Sun (Sweltering Heat)

Currently the plan is for 16mm Black dice. The other size/colour options are:

16mm ??? Opaque (Green, White, Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, Ivory) or Translucent (Red, Green or Blue)
19mm - Opaque (Green, White, Red) or Translucent (Red)

How do you use them?

Using them would be simple, you roll both dice. If the first dice shows "Fine Weather" then it's fine. If it shows "Bad Weather" then you take the type of weather from the second dice. You could also just roll the first die, and then only roll the second if you roll "Bad Weather".

After determining the weather, you could then use the dice to indicate the type of weather by putting it on the side of the board.

What are the odds?

The chances for each type of weather are exactly the same using these dice as using 2d6 and then checking the result against the weather table. Here is the proof:

On a 2d6, these are the odds:

Chance of Blizzard/Sweltering = 1/36
Chance of Rain/Bright Sun = 2/36 = 1/18
Chance of Bad Weather = 1/36 + 1/36 + 2/36 + 2/36 = 6/36 = 1/6
Chance of Fine Weather = 30/36 = 5/6

On the Weather die, these are the odds:

Chance of Fine Weather = 5/6 (first die)
Chance of Bad Weather = 1/6 (first die)
Chance of Blizzard/Sweltering = 1/6 (bad weather) * 1/6 (second die) = 1/36
Chance of Rain/Bright Sun = 1/6 (bad weather) * 2/6 * (second die) = 1/18

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: RE: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2008 - 04:26 PM

Wales

I'd like a set if they become available please, if possible in a colour other than black, but black is good too.

VirralOffline
Post subject: RE: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2008 - 04:02 PM

Australia
jonluke, I'll check about colours but I think they need to all be the same (the only way this is feasible is via a bulk order so they might insist on all the same type of dice). I have some sets of these dice already and I can assure you that the black gives a very nice contrast to the images.

And yes as skritter has posted they are the same odds. Basically there is a 1 in 6 chance of bad weather (indicated by the first dice). Once you have determined that the weather is bad, you then have 2 chances of rain, 2 chances of sun, 1 of heat and 1 of snow. So the second dice provides the same odds of each type of weather.

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: RE: Weather dice - potentially for sale  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2008 - 12:38 AM

Wales

Black will be fine, I'd like a set in any colour - it's just that I always seem to have worse luck with black dice.

bb_nutOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2008 - 10:32 AM

England
I'm very interested, I'll ask around my group before I state how many I'd want, I maybe able to put in a big order (but I wont know until after xmas).

Thanks

VirralOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2008 - 08:43 PM

Australia
      Corax wrote:
I'm very interested, I'll ask around my group before I state how many I'd want, I maybe able to put in a big order (but I wont know until after xmas).

Thanks

Hey Corax, I current have 6 sets left and that's going to be it. I'm happy to wait until after xmas to collect payment but I would recommend locking in how many you want ASAP. Once they're gone, they're gone for good.

Cheers,
Virral

WallyTWestOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Nottingham, NH

I would be happy to get a pair of dice (In the united states(maine)). Could I be contacted on the price/anyone willing to split a set?

draigOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 - 09:52 AM

I'd be interested in a set of these, posted to the UK.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 - 12:24 PM

Undisclosed
You realise this thread is nearly a year old?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 - 03:39 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I hope sometime in 2010 Impact! will have weather dice ... we wait to see if we can afford to add them to our store.

Galak

draigOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 03, 2009 - 04:08 PM

Wow that's what I get for posting after a nap, sheesh. Cheers Very Happy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic