NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 03:31 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Astro-granite helps break strong bones 12 ways. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: BB Graveyard Rules  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 03:30 PM

Canada
Hey all,

I thought I would include rules here for the special graveyard pitch that I am going to be using at "The Challenge of Q'ermitt" tourney. I will be playing on the board tomorrow night (Friday Nov 19th) at the Okaville Battle Bunker if any want to come down and check it out.
Here are the rules:

Graveyard Pitch:

Each player will receive 4 gravestones to place on the opposing player???s side of the pitch. One player will begin and place the gravestone in the desired location. They will then place the scatter template over the grave and scatter it 1d6 squares away. Should the grave end up in the crowd then it will come back as per a thrown ball until it finds an empty square on the pitch. Should the grave end up in the placing player???s half of the pitch, then this is acceptable, and it shall remain there. Once the first grave is placed, the other player will then take a turn placing a grave and so on until all the graves are placed. One exception to the grave placement is that graves should not be in adjacent squares. If this is the case, then move it back 1 square at a time in the direction it came from until there one square between the graves. If this will not allow for one space between the graves then move it one square from it???s scattered position so that there is one square between the graves (scattering player???s choice).

The gravestones will serve as an obstacle to the players, and should be treated as prone players in the effect that they cannot be stepped over, but also in that they do not exert tackle zones. If a player wished to rid himself of this nuisance he can elect to block or blitz any gravestone he wishes. The grave is treated as a player with S4 and mighty blow and stand firm. If the player attacking the grave manages to get any result that would knock it down, then the gravestone is removed (but the grave plot remains ??? see below). If the player suffers an ???attacker knocked down??? then he is knocked flat with the necessary armour roll (with mighty blow). If the player gets the ???both players knocked down??? result, then the grave will be knocked down (as will the player if he lacks the block skill).

Braaaains??????
The grave plots on which the stones sit also serve as potential entry points for zombies during the game. There is a kick off result (#5) which is called ???Living Dead???. If this result occurs, then a zombie will emerge from one randomly determined grave plots on the pitch (roll 2d8 and match the number rolled to the plot). The zombie uses the following stats:

M S A AV Skills
4 3 2 8 None

The zombie will move towards the closest player (prone or standing) as soon as he emerges. Once emerged the zombie will move at the beginning of each of the kicking team???s turns. If he is able to reach the player then he will perform a blitz action. He will not ???go for it??? in order to make any blitz or foul actions. Once he has the player prone (assuming they weren???t to begin with) then he will start gnawing at their skull in an effort to eat their brains (treat as a foul action). Players should overlook the obvious problem with this when fouling skeletons or trolls.

Players from the opposing team may assist in the zombie???s block or foul as normal. In fact it is assumed that they will be unless they specify otherwise.

The zombie may be removed in one of four ways:
a) beat him up - by KO???ing or causing a casualty
b) pushing him into the crowds
c) ending the half or getting a touchdown (in which case an undertaker will wrestle him back to his resting place)
d) the zombie is pushed back (or knocked onto) his grave plot in which case he is returned to rest.

Weather Table:
The lands of Sylvania are a dark and gloomy place where dense fogs have been known to swallow up many an unwary traveller. For undisclosed reasons the stadium owners have insisted that all games be played at night. This has the advantage of avoiding some of the harsher effects of the sun, but does have its own drawbacks. The following weather table should be used for this table:

2-3: Pea soup fog! The field is covered in such a dense fog that it is extremely difficult to even see your hand/hoof/claw/tentacle???.. appendage in front of you! All players are treated as bonehead as they fumble around the field. No passes may be attempted (hand offs are allowed) and all dodge rolls will be at +1 as the players slip into the mist. No ???go for it??? rolls are allowed.

4-5: Foggy. A low fog hangs over the field which obscures vision but still allows a relatively normal game of Blood Bowl. Because of the difficulty seeing, only quick passes may be allowed. ???Go for it??? rolls will fail on a roll of 1 or 2.

6-9: ???Nice???. It???s chilly, gloomy and extremely spooky. But nothing is messing with your blood Bowl game.

10-12 Storm. There is a downpour of rain, and the rumbling of thunder. All attempts to handle the ball (including handing it off, catching and picking it up) will be at -1. Furthermore, roll a d8 at the beginning of each player???s turn. If the result of the dice matches the turn the player is currently on, then one randomly determined player from their team, (on the pitch or in the reserves box) has been struck by lightning. Roll for an injury for this person immediately adding +1 to the result.

Kick off Table:

To represent the occurrences unique to the area of Sylvania, the following table should replace the regular kick off table for all games played on the graveyard pitch:

2 ??? ???Scavengers??? ??? a pack of cannibalistic and very hungry ghouls have come to feast on the dead and dying. Unfortunately, ghouls are not the brightest of creatures and cannot often tell the difference between dead, unconscious and just resting. Any players (from both teams) who are in the K.O???d boxes should make another injury roll and accept the result of it. If the result is ???stunned??? then they have been awoken by the frenzied gnawing on their body parts and can now be put in the reserves box. If there is no-one in the K.O???d box then they will attack any reserves you may have, if there is no-one else there, then the ghouls will leave, hungry and disgruntled.

3 ??? ???Where???s da Ref???? Reports come in of a wolf running outside of the stadium sporting a striped shirt while others say that saw a pale man in a long cloak call the ref into a shadowy corner. Whatever really happened, the fact of the matter is that the ref is gone. Foul at will, boyz!

4 ??? Perfect Defense ??? as per normal kick off rules

5 ??? ???Living Dead??? - a zombie emerges from one of the grave plots (randomly determined). He will move to attack the nearest player (standing or prone). Full rules above.

6 ??? Bad Kick ??? as per normal kick off rules

7 ??? Weather - as per normal kick off rules

8 ??? Quick Snap - as per normal kick off rules

9 ??? Brilliant Coaching - as per normal kick off rules

10 ??? Blitz! - as per normal kick off rules

11 ??? Vampire Bat Swarm ??? The flapping of thousands of wings is heard, and the moon is eclipsed by a huge swarm of vampire bats. Roll 1d3. That many players from each side are attacked by the bats. Roll against their armour, and if beaten roll for injury.

12 ??? ???Restless Dead??? The dead do not rest easily in the land of Sylvania. Even without the direction of necromantic magic, the dead have been known to rise again. Both players will roll 1d6 for each of the players in their ???dead and injured??? box. If the result is a 4,5 or 6, then they will rise again to play for their own team as a zombie (see necro team for stats). Note ??? this may take them above their original strength, but they will also be losing all skills and original stats that they may have started with. If neither team has any players in the casualty box, then treat this result as a ???5 ??? Living Dead??? result instead.

I tried to keep the rules simple, without upsetting too much the balance of a normal game while adding the special Sylvanian twist.

Let me know what you think.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Last edited by Spazzfist on Nov 25, 2004 - 01:04 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 05:12 AM

England
For the storm you could roll to see if a player is struck at the beginning of each player's turn and make it a wizard's lightning spell attack on a random opposition player (or one of that teams own players but always the same so as both teams are equally threatened).

Also there is a problem with equating highest AV with "most metal". Compare Mummies (helmet and shoulder pads) and Wights (head to foot armour). The one who clearly has the most metal also has the least armour.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 06:13 AM

Canada
      Mordredd wrote:
For the storm you could roll to see if a player is struck at the beginning of each player's turn and make it a wizard's lightning spell attack on a random opposition player (or one of that teams own players but always the same so as both teams are equally threatened).

I had thought about this, but what I am going for is a gameof Blood Bowl with a flavourful twist. I do not want to overpower the game with funky rules.

Mordredd wrote:
Also there is a problem with equating highest AV with "most metal". Compare Mummies (helmet and shoulder pads) and Wights (head to foot armour). The one who clearly has the most metal also has the least armour.

And don't forget the grand example of the treeman! AV10 and only a shoulder plate! I know, I know, but what are you going to do? I don't want the calculators broken out as people calculate the percentage of armour on their players, and thought this was a fun way to do it. Usually the armoured players are the most protected, so I thought I would let them sweat a bit! Besides, it fits with the fluff.

Spazz

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 07:04 AM

England
I just thought the idea of lightning only striking at kick off was a little bizarre, plus it will probably hit the same team, if not the same player, every time which is even more bizarre (assuming that it happens more than once or for that matter at all). You could make it a roll of 2 or 12 on 2d6 or something like that if you are worried about it potentially happening too much.

And isn't the Treeman's shoulder plate made of wood too? I think a single random player would be fairer. (And I don't think that where lightning strikes is that greatly influenced by percentage metal composition of the available 'targets'.)

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:12 AM

Canada
Hmmm.....

I can see the points you are making, and I think your suggestions would probably be more fun.

Sometimes things look better on paper then in real life! I am going to be playtesting the graveyard for the first time tonight, and will see how things go.

Thanks for your suggestions! This is why I posted this! Smile

Spazz

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:20 AM

United States of America
I hope you are planning on more than 2 hours per match in your tourney Wink

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:26 AM

Canada
      Melifaxis wrote:
I hope you are planning on more than 2 hours per match in your tourney Wink

Why do you say that? Is it because of the set up time for the stones on this board or the rules? I could always make the stones in set places at the beginning of the game. Just liked the random element idea.

I do plan on sending all participant a package with the rules for all of the boards, and there will be reference cards for each board as well - hopefully things will go smoothly! (Fingers crossed)

But if you can forsee something, I would appreciate hearing about it!

Spazz

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:52 AM

Toronto, ON
Just keep in mind that most normal games with rookie teams take 2 hours to play. If you are adding special rules people are going to take longer. Some people can't even finish a normal game in 2 hours *coughOldManMonkeycough* Laughing

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 09:07 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Just keep in mind that most normal games with rookie teams take 2 hours to play. If you are adding special rules people are going to take longer. Some people can't even finish a normal game in 2 hours *coughOldManMonkeycough* Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Funny,Cruel,but True!

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 09:16 AM

United States of America
      Spazzfist wrote:

Why do you say that? Is it because of the set up time for the stones on this board or the rules? I could always make the stones in set places at the beginning of the game. Just liked the random element idea.

I do plan on sending all participant a package with the rules for all of the boards, and there will be reference cards for each board as well - hopefully things will go smoothly! (Fingers crossed)

But if you can forsee something, I would appreciate hearing about it!

Spazz

Time to review the rules on each pitch before you play. Time to set the board up. Then time to play the game. No way it will happen in 2 hours for every attendee. I think youll just nned to plan ahead for it. Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 10:21 AM

Canada
I guess the prioblem is, the more time you allow, the less games you might be able to play in the tourney. I would really like to do a 6 game tourney.

Maybe I will have the gravestones pre-set for this pitch. The other pitches will not have any funky things on them like that that will require extra set-up.

As for reviewing rules, mostly it will just be kick off tables. There will be the odd rule that might come into effect, but hopefully careful reading prior to the event will clear that up. Also, as the boards are built, I will post the ideas and rules for them so that hopefully everyone will be wuite familiar with them come the tourney.

But thanks for all the feedback!

Spazz

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 12:04 PM

Undisclosed
      Spazzfist wrote:
hopefully careful reading prior to the event will clear that up

The eternal optimist! Laughing

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 12:21 PM

Canada
      Darkson wrote:
The eternal optimist! Laughing

Well, I do try to give credit to the general level of intelligence of the NAF members! Smile

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 12:49 PM

United States of America
Mistake number one... Wink

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Canada
Played two halves on the board tonight and overall I am very pleased! There needs to be a few rules put in for clarification on some points, but otherwise, I think it was all pretty smooth.

Did have the storm weather, but with the appearance of a pesky zombie, we kinda forgot about it - which goes to support the argument about not throwing in too many rules to remember!

The gravestones were quick and easy to set up, and once there you kind of got used to them. We didn't end up trying to knock any of them over, but not that that would have made much difference.

More playtesting will be done, but overall I am pleased with the initial results!

Spazz

Last edited by Spazzfist on Nov 24, 2004 - 05:47 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic