NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 10:07 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Chaos team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject: Yet another Hypnotic Gaze question...  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Since there's been a sudden influx of Vamp related questions, I thought I'd toss one in.

EDIT: This is a LRB 5 question...

Situation:

Vamp coach ends his turn by successfully casting HG on an opponent's player. (don't ask why he'd do it with the last player, just go with it Wink ) The player who was gazed cannot catch the ball, provide a TZ, etc... until that players next action. The opposing coach declares a move action for the gazed player, but does not actually move him, thus getting back the player's TZ's.

Question:

I understand that since a player during a move action can move any number of spaces up to their MA, moving 0 spaces could be considered a move action. However, since the player never moved, did any action actually take place? Does the player have to actually move or take some other action to release HG? Or is just ending the player's turn by saying he moved, though not moving, enough?

"Ho! stand to your flagons steady!
'Tis all we have left to prize.
A drink to the dead already,--
Hurrah for the next that dies."
- ancient Dwarf toast

Last edited by Rune_Master on Feb 16, 2007 - 10:17 AM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Yet another Hypnotic Gaze question...  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Canada
Unless the rules have changed for the HG, then the hypnosis takes place, the hypnosis ends once the vampire coach ends the turn. It is useful to remove tackle zones to prevent assists for blocking, picking up the ball, dodging, etc. but does not last into the other player's turn as well.

So Coach A moves his vampire and hypnotizes the catcher. Turn ends. Hypnosis ends.
Coach B starts his turn with all players available, including the catcher. Now I have not re-read the rules for hypnosis, so they may have changed it for LRB 5, but that is the way it worked before, and if they changed it.... then I might have to consider playing vampires! Smile

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Canada
      Code:
Hypnotic Gaze (Extraordinary)
The player has a powerful telepathic ability that he can use to stun an
opponent into immobility. The player may use hypnotic gaze at the end
of his Move Action on one opposing player who is in an adjacent square.
Make an Agility roll for the player with hypnotic gaze, with a -1 modifier
for each opposing tackle zone on the player with hypnotic gaze other
than the victim's. If the Agility roll is successful, then the opposing player
loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass the ball,
assist another player on a block or foul, or move voluntarily until the start
of his next action or the drive ends. If the roll fails, then the hypnotic gaze
has no effect.

The part that says "until the start of his next action or the drive ends" is in red, and is new. I would be inclined to think that if you declare a move and don't move him that the effect of hypnotic gaze is no longer in effect. That's what makes sense to me. But I'm no expert. Smile

Cramy

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 - 10:16 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You can choose to do nothing in a move action. Another example of this is with the BG who has failed his stupid roll you can declare a move action - roll for Really Stupid and then finish the action.

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Fair enough, that's how we've been playing it in our league. As long as opposing coach declares an action on the gazed player, either by actually performing an action or just declaring a 0 move action and ending that players turn, the gaze is lifted. However, if he does not declare an action with that player before his team's turn finishes, the gaze continues into the vamp coach's next turn.

Just asking to see if it's the "right" interpretation of the rule.

- ancient Dwarf toast

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Er, the Hypnotic Gaze ends at the end of the Vampire Coach's turn - the end of the same turn the person was gazed at...

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 10:06 AM

Canada
Apparently not. It did in LRB 4 - but as Cramy points out they have modified the rule so that it is like forcing a bonehad on someone.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Spazzfist wrote:
Apparently not. It did in LRB 4 - but as Cramy points out they have modified the rule so that it is like forcing a bonehad on someone.

My bad, I should have clarified at the beginning that this was an LRB 5 question.

- ancient Dwarf toast

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Wow... okey dokey! ;D
I read it differently...

If the Agility roll is successful, then the opposing player loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass the ball, assist another player on a block or foul, or move voluntarily until the start of his next action or the drive ends.

The end of the drive, since it is being used on the Vamp's coach turn, is the same turn as when the Vamp does the HG. From what I understad, it is good to disrupt Tackle Zones, stop pass blockers, tentacles, shadowing, etc...

A couple of things that key me to that, is the Intercept rolls - you don't generally intercept on your own turn (baring any wierd Dump Off issues... ;D )

Am I wrong?

Rune_MasterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 11:02 AM

DarkDancer17 wrote:
Wow... okey dokey! ;D
I read it differently...

If the Agility roll is successful, then the opposing player loses his tackle zones and may not catch, intercept or pass the ball, assist another player on a block or foul, or move voluntarily until the start of his next action or the drive ends.

The end of the drive, since it is being used on the Vamp's coach turn, is the same turn as when the Vamp does the HG. From what I understad, it is good to disrupt Tackle Zones, stop pass blockers, tentacles, shadowing, etc...

A couple of things that key me to that, is the Intercept rolls - you don't generally intercept on your own turn (baring any wierd Dump Off issues... ;D )

Am I wrong?

end of the drive is either the end of the half or when one team scores...

And no, you wouldn't intercept your own pass, but I could gaze one of your players as the first thing I did during my turn so that the now gazed player would not be able to intercept the pass I was going to attempt later in that same turn.

- ancient Dwarf toast

DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 - 11:06 AM

Right, exactly. You would gaze my player on your turn, to facilitate a pass with no intercept chance. Smile

It still doesn't affect my turn after - see what I mean? Smile

Edit : I see what you mean now - if that player is not tagged to do anything, i.e. I fail a block or pass or something before I even declare any action with the HG'ed player, then yes - he's still stuck by that wording. Very Happy

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2007 - 06:13 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Hypnotic Gaze was changed in LRB 5.0 to make the wording consistent with the Bone-head wording (so that the effect was exactly the same). This made it easier to understand.

It also had the side effect of making the Vampire team a little more effective which was an okay side effect.

And DarkDancer ... turn and drive are two different time periods. A turn is a single set of actions by all the players of your team or until you say you are done or a turnover occurs. A drive is a series of turns that ends when the half is over or a team scores. If memory serves (don't have LRB in front of me) ... we added the definition of drive to page 8 of the rulebook.

Galak

BuggritOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 - 04:51 AM

In your dugout pimping your cheerleaders!
When a hypnotic gaze is applied to a player they then lose their tackle zone until
a) they take an action
b) somebody scores / the half ends
Simple really.
I believe that the wording behind this is down to the fact that a 'gazed' player might not have the opportunity to take an action before his team suffers a turnover and would therefore continue to be hypnotised into his teams next turn.

StimmeOffline
30 Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Germany
I got another another related question. The situation: A hypnotised player of the opposite team is being blocked by me (or subjected to a chain push).

On a push result,
a) does the hypnotised player wake up?
b) If not, is he allowed to use skills like Fend, Stand Firm, Side Step?

And similarly:
c) Is a hypnotised player allowed to use the dodge skill to avoid the result of a "defender stumbles"?

Fangs a lot!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2012 - 07:20 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
RTCRP...

No
Yes
Yes

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic