NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 09:48 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Deathwing is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
richy376Offline
Post subject: Resolving Blitz kick off result  PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 06:19 AM

Hi all
I???ve just started back in the game after a ten year-ish hiatus, so apologies if this is a bit of an old chestnut. In a game last night on one of my kicks I placed the ball, scattered it, and then rolled a blitz on the kick off table. The ball was heading into a square on the line of scrimmage occupied by one of my opponent's players.

It was at this point we had a discussion, as I argued that I should take my blitz turn before he rolled to catch the ball, as we hadn???t fully resolved the kick off table result yet. My opponent argued that we had resolved the result by rolling the blitz, he should roll to catch the ball, and then we should carry on with my blitz turn. His argument for this was that otherwise the ball had temporarily disappeared. I suggested thinking of it as a high kick that hadn???t come down yet, but he didn???t think this was realistic.

We played it his way to get the game going again (and his player caught the ball), but thinking back I???m not sure this was right. So again, apologies if this is received wisdom, but if anyone can clear up how to play this situation I???d be much obliged.

p.s: was still a great game despite this little dispute ??? as soon as I played again I couldn???t work out why I???d been away so long!

Cheers

Rich

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Resolving Blitz kick off result  PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 06:30 AM

Canada
I am sure that someone else (who has the rulebook before them) will be able to point you to the xact page number and statement where it shows that you were right. All the kick off results are resolved before the ball lands. Otherwise, there would be such abuse as an elf team getting the blitz! in their favour, moving one player to wher the ball is and then throwing it back to their own side - essentially getting a free offensive.

Tell your friend (as Clan-Skaven is so fond of saying) that heis playing a game with werewolves and mummies and green skinned humanoids. "Realistic" does not always have a starring role!

P.S. Let's just hope that he never encounters an interception attempt..... Smile

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 07:23 AM

Vancouver, BC
Sequence of Play for kick-off, Note the last two steps:

LRB5 Pg. 18 wrote:

The Kick-Off table is used to recreate these unforeseen but fairly
common events. After both teams have set up, follow this
sequence in the order below:

??? Place the ball on the pitch
??? Scatter ball to determine where the ball is about to land
??? Roll on the Kick-Off table
??? Resolve the Kick-Off table result
??? Bounce/ catch/or touchback the ball

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 08:51 AM

Eric R is pointing you the right way. I think of it this way: The ball doesn't "land" until the kickoff is resolved, so no player can catch it until then.

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 09:09 PM

Port Hope Ontario
As for "realistic" isn't the blitz about starting the offensive pretty much as soon as the kick is made? So basically as soon as the foot hits the ball for the kick the kicking side is already on their way. This leaves the receiving team no chance "realistically" of properly setting up their defense.

Then again I may just be speaking out my behind. I am so fond of doing so Rolling Eyes

richy376Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thanks very much for the quick replies guys, all really helpful. Makes sense to me, and now I've got some extra backup to help argue my case the next time it comes up!

Cheers

Rich

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 31, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Undisclosed
      richy376 wrote:
and now I've got some extra backup to help argue my case the next time it comes up!

That's not just extra back-up, that's the official rules, and has been for sometime.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic