NAF Logo
leftstar May 22, 2024 - 04:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Ribs! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hanging back for a couple of turns so the opposing coach will not be able to score....
Fair
62%
 62%  [ 108 ]
Foul
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
Depends...
22%
 22%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 172

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject: Shamefull way to win a match...?  PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 12:40 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

"I beat them last night with my Dwarfs by using a very shamefull tactic: Gaining the ball, running up to the endzone and then staying there while battering the enemy players so that I can win near the end of the half giving my opponent not enough time to score.... "

Is this a shamefull way to win or perfectly acceptable use of the rules?

I personally am a bit ashamed to admit to the fact that it was me who perpertrated such a thing but I did it in reaction to the way a regular opponent played me "Fight fire with fire".

Fair or Foul?

Reply with quote Back to top
aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 01:04 PM

United States
Yes, it's acceptable. Actually teams like Chaos and Dwarfs really can rely on this tactic to see em through. I admit it isn't any fun on the other side of the ball, but as an experienced coach you should have at least a plan or 2 to counter.

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
AgentrockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 01:09 PM

It depends.
I personally hate the tactic...there have been many games where the opponent has done it against me while my team suffered at not being able to get to the ball carrier while his team stomped mine into the ground. It makes for a poor looking and playing game for the team getting squashed IMO.
But then I've used the tactic...not intending to pummel what remains of the opponent's team on the field...but to use up time and score before they get close enough to be a threat.

It's a commonly used tactic...if you know you are playing against a player that uses it regularly then "fight fire with fire". It's a good debatable question...one that really doesn't have a answer of right or wrong. Just depends on what you as a player needs to do to win a game.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 01:40 PM

Absolutely fair. Dwarves just don't have the movement to play a speed game, and if they try to do so, they're likely to lose.

Now, gittish behavior would be fouling a team on turn 8 of the second half, so you can send it into overtime and foul the 3 remaining members some more. Not that I would ever do that... often.

-Oscar Wilde

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 01:51 PM
Former President

England
Clock management is perfectly acceptable. It's completely different if you're sitting on a 3-0 lead or something and opting not to score while destroying his team, but to run the clock so that your opponent hasn't got the time to level it or win it is fine IMO.

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 03:11 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Ok, so it seems that it is acceptable in 'extenuating circumstances' but then it really has to come to the crunch then:

Is tournament play 'extenuating circumstances'? I have not yet played an official NAF match to establish my team rating and that would be pretty important to me...

224th at The World Cup II

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 03:41 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
Fair to me. I would tell my opponent to try and get the ball. If he doesn't, I won't score, If he does, I'll score after a turn or two.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 05:08 PM
Former President

England
If you're playing for NAF rankings and you leave your opponent a couple of turns to score when you could close out the game by clock control then, well, you're a better man than I am Gunga Din! Very Happy

kjonesinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 08:43 PM

Toronto
everyone here has already said what needs to be said. It's perfectly acceptable, and very smart, it's just kinda evil if you're already up 3/4 to 0.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2003 - 08:59 PM

I don't like the tactic but it's legit. That said, I don't mind it in terms of clock control and winning the game. I think it's absolutelty deplorable to not score just so you can keep hitting the last few players your opponent has left and fouling the ones that are already down.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 04:41 AM

England
I have been on both sides of the tactic many times before. It's a perfectly acceptable tactic, especially for slow teams such as Dwarfs and Undead. If your opponent lets you get into this position, then it's his own fault and he deserves everything he gets. If he can't force you to score, then he can always run away or leave his players lying on the floor. This happens to be a quite effective way to beat Elves and Skaven.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 05:32 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Play the clock!

Admittedly not enjoyable if you are on the wrong end of it, but tough its a good tactic to win the game.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 06:59 AM

Quote:
Snotsngrots: I think it's absolutelty deplorable to not score just so you can keep hitting the last few players your opponent has left and fouling the ones that are already down.

If it helps any, I only did that with my Orcs against what was then the #1 casualty hunting coach in my league. Wink Freakin' Dwarves...

-Oscar Wilde

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 07:00 AM

"Playing the clock" is as cheesy as it gets, and I personally look down on any coach who does it. I can win the game WITHOUT playing the clock, and I do. Routinely. If you can't, you aren't a capable defensive coach, plain and simple.

-Chet

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 07:09 AM

Chet, in the past I would have agreed with you, but too many games have slipped out of my hands when I take a score against Elves and give them a chance to break back. If it comes down to passing up potential star player points for a sure win, I'll take the win every time.

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic