NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 01:35 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Ankle! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is this idea worth the money?
Great, I'd pay more for it!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Good, I'd buy one.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Looks interesting, maybe a little expensive.
33%
 33%  [ 15 ]
Far too expensive.
53%
 53%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 45

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Wales

I'm thinking of making some fantasy football pitches (that would work for bloodbowl) with relief cut markings and sculpted detailing. I'd probably be looking for between £100 and £150 for each board but this could include a number of seperate details such as a zombie crawling from the ground or some dead players.
Other possibilities are for personalised sponsors in relief upon the pitch itself.

This topic is just to guage interest and see if people are willing to spend that much or think it is too much/too little.

These are the general idea, they'd also have dugouts and turn counters and score markers and such along the sidelines.
Other possibles would be the inclusion of pillars or trees or waterlogged areas for different teams home grounds.

Please have a look and reply if you like or don't like the idea.
Thanks, Jon.

Reply with quote Back to top
arturinOffline
Post subject: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 - 10:09 AM

Tudela, Spain
Which material are you using? What size will the squares have?

The price looks pretty high, so some more details would be helpful to judge.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Anchorage, Alaska
Very expensive, and your pitch is one square too long in each direction. The endzone should only be one square deep, not two.

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Wales

The pitch has an extra touchdown square which makes no difference to the game. Each square is 30mm on a side at the moment but will be matched to a bloodbowl pitch once I've measured one.

For pricing you should consider that this is going to rival forgeworld quality, I'm a professional modelmaker and the basic pitch pics I've displayed are an hours mockup on rhino.

There will also be stands, team specific dugouts, pitch details, score counters, different variations on pitches (Eg. Temple pitch, dungeon, raft, wood, marsh, paved . . .) Personalised sponsors (you get to choose).

Materials:

The originals will be made in chemiwood, densities of which will vary according to which pitch I'm building. The details will be sculpted in greenstuff or plastilene and cast in F15 or F18 resin (the resins forgeworld uses).

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 07:38 AM

Canada
The idea is good, and I am sure the quality is equally good, I can appreciate the need to charge a significant smount for each board, but do not hink that you are going to find enough people willing to pay this to make it worth your while.

I wish you the best of luck though!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 08:52 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

jonluke wrote:
The pitch has an extra touchdown square which makes no difference to the game.
Problem is when you demo product doesn't even match the current official rules ... it does make the buyer think you are not clued in. Its all in the marketing ... my friend. 2 1/2 years in this business has taught me that.

Oh and your response of "it doesn't matter" ... that doesn't lend itself to me to think that you work well with customers as that's a pretty poor customer service remark.

I'm one of the collector types that would purchase such a thing ... but not with what I've seen with what you display as a demo and how you respond to inquiries. I'll pass now ... thanks.

Galak

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 09:45 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
I'd have to see a finnished pitch to really have an opinion on yes or no...

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 10:13 AM

Wales

Galak:
Oh and your response of "it doesn't matter"

Jonluke:
Where's this response?

Galak:
I'm one of the collector types that would purchase such a thing ... but not with what I've seen with what you display as a demo and how you respond to inquiries. I'll pass now ... thanks.

Jonluke:
_ I apologize if you think that as a customer service remark this was impolite, the board itself would be marketed through independent stores online, it also is not allowed to be the same set-out as a bloodbowl pitch due to copyright infringement, the extra squares in the touchdown zones make no effect to any gameplay other than if desired you could make an even longer pass action into the touchdown zone - as far as I can tell this has no advantage.
I'm not looking to make a large amount of money out of this product, I'm interested in serving the bloodbowl community and hopefully making peoples games even more interesting, this isn't a demo product, it's a probing discovery into a social network for bloodbowl enthusiasts.

In answer to other queries, I'll be producing a small number for my teams and local tournaments anyway, the public offer will be forwarded if the response here is good enough and I'll modify what I'm producing in accordance with your views, costing will be more accurate once I've built some stuff.

I'll get some pictures of a more complete board as soon as possible.

Thanks for you comments, keep 'em coming.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 12:38 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

jonluke wrote:
Jonluke:
_ I apologize if you think that as a customer service remark this was impolite, the board itself would be marketed through independent stores online, it also is not allowed to be the same set-out as a bloodbowl pitch due to copyright infringement

Now see ... that is a good customer service answer ... much better.

Quote:
the extra squares in the touchdown zones make no effect to any gameplay other than if desired you could make an even longer pass action into the touchdown zone - as far as I can tell this has no advantage.

However if you market them as Blood Bowl pitches ... you are going to have the same IP issue even if the layout has the extra endzone squares. So I wish you luck. It really comes down to if GW deems you worth squashing.

I wish you luck ... as I've been down this road for a different yet extremely similar item already as well.

Galak

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 01:35 PM

Wales

"However if you market them as Blood Bowl pitches ... you are going to have the same IP issue even if the layout has the extra endzone squares. So I wish you luck. It really comes down to if GW deems you worth squashing."
I'd sell them under fantasy football pitches, or see if one of the independent online stores wanted to pick them up, such as elfball.

Never know, if it's good enough even Forgeworld might consider it.

We can dream right?

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 01:54 PM

Anchorage, Alaska
One square makes a difference between a push and a crowdpush. Fun to find a catcher who is standing in the endzone waiting for the ball and give the crowd a birthday present all giftwrapped in a BB uniform. Doesn't happen often, usually as a result of a fumbled play elsewhere on the pitch, but I've done it once in the last 10 years so I wouldn't mind doing it again.

jonlukeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodb  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Wales

AK_Dave wrote:
One square makes a difference between a push and a crowdpush. Fun to find a catcher who is standing in the endzone waiting for the ball and give the crowd a birthday present all giftwrapped in a BB uniform. Doesn't happen often, usually as a result of a fumbled play elsewhere on the pitch, but I've done it once in the last 10 years so I wouldn't mind doing it again.

I stand corrected, there is an advantage. Very Happy

I could put a spike pit there or somesuch evil nasty that'd have the same affect.

Darkson
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodb  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 03:19 PM

Undisclosed
      jonluke wrote:
I'd sell them under fantasy football pitches, or see if one of the independent online stores wanted to pick them up, such as elfball.

Impact already sold fantasy Football pitches - those are the ones that Galak mentioned being pulled (I got one thankfully).
And seeing as Impact own elfball, and they've already had GW on to them about one pitch, I doubt they'd be interested in taking on another.

As for me, it might well end up looking wonderful, but at £100+, it's way out of my league of what I'd pay (that buys a lot of figs).

Oh, and unles you're going to make the squares exactly the same size as the BB pitch, you're going to need a resized passing template, which is something else GW frowns upon.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Last edited by Darkson on Nov 01, 2008 - 03:20 PM; edited 1 time in total

PunkpogoerOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bl  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 03:20 PM

United States of America
I'm sure the pitches would look very cool, but I would consider myself the "average" Blood Bowl enthusiast and $160 to $240 is just way out of my gaming budget.

Darkson
Post subject: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Pitches suitable for Bloodbowl use.  PostPosted: Nov 01, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Undisclosed
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
However if you market them as Blood Bowl pitches ... you are going to have the same IP issue even if the layout has the extra endzone squares. So I wish you luck. It really comes down to if GW deems you worth squashing.

Doesn't GW still own the IP from their 2nd edition pitch? Question

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic