NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 04:36 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Bonehead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rickardoOffline
Post subject: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 - 02:52 AM

so basically is it against the rules?

Here's a little scenario that happened last night...

Opposing coach moves his black Orc 4 squares, the coach picks him up moves him 4 squares and scores a TD. I point out he's got to make a dodge roll as he's passing the corner of my tackle zone. Therefore he chooses to move his black orc back and moves a line man from beside the black Orc out of the way so he can go round my tackle zone.

Is this allowed? I personally say no but the rules do not state otherwise (that i can see)

Reply with quote Back to top
SebcoOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 - 02:55 AM

France
I don't know if it's really official but in french tournaments, we usually consider a player can't be moved back as soon as dices have been rolled or another player has been moved after him.

Bowl des Neiges XIX : 2022 february 26th & 27th

rickardoOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 - 12:49 PM

i would personally have considered a player wouldnt do it as it being unsportsman, obviously not Smile

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 - 02:37 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Not allowing the opponent to correct the move - when no dice were rolled - seems a sporting thing to do - that I'd expect everyone to allow.

rickardoOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 - 10:04 AM

The move was allowed, for the same reason, it's sporting on my behalf. But I guess I choose to just take it on the chin that in a game such as blood bowl if I move a player, make a mistake I deal with it rather than moving something back. I.e My own fault for not realising and moving a player back a little cheeky . nothing was said to my opponent I just wanted to know if there was anything that states it's legality

But thanks for the opinions. Smile

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 - 11:19 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Technically he'd have to roll, but making someone do it would be unpleasant IMO. I'd never voluntarily play that person again.

rickardoOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2011 - 01:24 AM

Completely agree.

bobmanOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 03:54 AM

I would alllow the coach to take back the action of a player. But not move another player and return to that player. In this example I'd let the coach retry the move of the Black Orc, maybe making a GFI rather than a dodge or something, but not move the lineman and then return to the Black Orc. In short once you start a player action that player either takes an action or forgoes.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2011 - 10:34 AM

United States of America
With us ....
If he declared an action (other than move) that player owns that action .... IE black orc will blitz (weither he blitzs or not ...) If he is not at the point of adding str for the block he can re set his move or even go Before that blitz I will move this guy. If he is at the point of adding str and finds out he is short he is screwed. Now with the movement, he can reroute his guy (and use the GFI) but as the Dodge was pointed after he clearly moved he has to go around or dodge or not do it. It all has to do with the absent dice roll, (he moved out of the square) so that player is committed to do something (or nothing and pass his action)

ConspyreOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 - 12:29 PM

United States of America
Generally I'd say that yes, going back and re-moving the active player to allow for avoiding a forgotten Dodge (perhaps to get better odds on a GFI, as mentioned above), would be the friendly thing to do. Allowing the player to go back before the current player's activation and move someone else to prepare for the move, however, seems a bit much. One of the things that I find most appealing about Blood Bowl, as in sports, is that between the clock, and the potential for things to go wrong, sometimes you just have to take a chance on a risky move- allowing for too many takebacks and that sort of thing dilutes that feeling, along with dragging the game out longer. In tournament play, I would more likely step back to the move that required the Dodge roll, make the roll, and continue from there, lest a forgotten roll lead to "forgotten" rolls. By the point at which someone is playing in tournaments, they should be able to look at the board, recognize tackle zones, and not make those kinds of mistakes, and if they honestly missed it, they should be willing to fix their error with the least adjustment to the game possible.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 - 05:16 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
So if your opponent runs a player up and says blitz ... and its only 1 dice - would you let him move another player up to provide the support?

ConspyreOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 - 05:28 PM

United States of America
Certainly not in a tournament game- order of activation is a key skill for strong play, that kind of mistake is what differentiates weaker players. In a friendly game, I might permit it for a player that's new to the game, or hasn't played in a while, but planning for Blitzes is key.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Changing your mind on an action??  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 - 09:33 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I can't think of any circumstances off the top of my head where I wouldn't allow my opponent to do that. In tournaments I'm more likely to be forgiving - its easier being a pedant with friends Smile

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2011 - 05:18 AM

British Columbia, Canada
Yeah I'm with Ian on this that I have never had to win a game that badly that I wouldn't allow an opponent to take a move back, provided of course that no dice rolls have been made and the player is the recently active model.

The league I play in has our fair share of guys who never allow take backs, call IP constantly, and even withhold information like forcing a guy to commit to choosing the "block" result and then springing Wrestle on them after they forgot to ask - even if the active player was carrying the ball if you can believe that.

Luckily for you guys none of these members are on the Thunderbowl World Cup team. Wink

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2011 - 05:25 PM

United States of America
wimpy east coast guys Razz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic