NAF Logo
leftstar May 01, 2024 - 04:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Lizardman team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: An idea to try and bring out more diversity in races.  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2015 - 01:02 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
What is your thoughts for awards at a tourney, being instead of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place overall it is Gold Cup, Silver Cup and Bronze Cup.

The Gold Cup goes to the highest ranked Tier 1 team
The Silver Cup goes to the highest ranked Tier 2 team
The Bronze Cup goes to the highest ranked Tier 3 team

The tourney would still run normally and be a Swiss style, and all other Awards be the same (Casualties, TD's Sportsmanship ect)

So for example if there was 24 teams at a tourney, you may see more equal spread of teams entering instead of the usual mostly Tier 1 races. If for example out of the 24 teams 17 were Tier 1 , 4 were Tier 2 and 3 were Tier 3. It would be much easier to win a Cup in tier 2 or 3 but a Tier 1 team would have a 1-17 chance opposed to 1-4 or 1-3 chance.

I think with this award system you'd see much evener spread out numbers of the 3 Tiers.

Any thoughts? Have I lost you?

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Reply with quote Back to top
ChewblockaOffline
Post subject: RE: An idea to try and bring out more diversity in races.  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Undisclosed
I like where you are going with this. Dwarfrunner and I were discussing a different award system at tournaments in order to acknowledge coaches who don't normally place on the podium, or who don't win other awards because they might be a jack of all trades, but master of none. We were talking about how to recognize a player based on their overall involvement in the tournament and hobby. Similar to 40K tournaments I used to attend, we discussed the merits of an "overall champion." This would be someone who has a decent game record, has a nicely painted team and is a good person to have a game against.

We thought of having your basic awards that you would have at a normal tournament, but have a combined score of game points, painting points and sportsmanship points to go to an overall champion. Each category would be weighted equally and the coach with the highest overall score would be an overall champion. I don't know if it would encourage race diversity, but it would give those who might take a tier 2 or 3 team a chance at an award that shows their overall commitment to Blood Bowl.

With regard to trying to increase race diversity, I've found that allowing tier 2 and 3 teams access to more skills during team creation does help. Tier 1 teams already have a lot in their "tool box" to work with already; by allowing T2 and T3 teams to take extra skills, star players, and/or inducements, they then have more tools to work with as T1 teams do.

grant85Offline
Post subject: RE: An idea to try and bring out more diversity in races.  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Canada
it's a neat idea. might be cool to try out for next year's warpstone...

for the most part I agree with Zap that more money for T2 and T3 teams to buy fun stuff helps a lot to encourage players to try new teams and bring different races each tourney.

this all being said I did play woodies for like 3 years in a row, so, ya know, Im lame lol

NAF NTO, Canada
NAF Membership Coordinator, Canada

natsirtdmOffline
Post subject: RE: An idea to try and bring out more diversity in races.  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Canada
Some great ideas here...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic