NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 03:31 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dodge this! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
seanh1986Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2019  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2019 - 06:01 AM

Canada
      Gaixo wrote:
Well, the Open Series description says they must have a clearly defined geographic area, but I suppose it leaves some room for argument on exactly how clear that needs to be. We've never split a state before, but I suppose it's a possibility.

The NYC organizer think BEAST is a more sensible fit for them, so I'm not too worried about it being a progressive issue in which we're steadily ceding territory. If Gary and Sean are both pretty sure this is what they want to do, I'm cool with drawing a line somewhere in NY. Let me know!

Sorry for the confusion. I just took over the tournament series this year so I may have been mistaken. Anyways, we'd be happy to follow whatever decision you feel is best. We would be happy to have gjnoronh and his tournament as part of the GLAM TS but we also understand if you decide otherwise.

I have a couple of questions/thoughts on the topic of state-splitting. Specifically, I can envision scenarios (e.g., bordering cities) where it might make more sense to be associated with a different tournament series than the state that the tournament is currently in (e.g., depending on the size of the state and where the bulk of the tournament activity is concentrated).

Is having an event being associated with multiple tournament series a possibility? For example, if a tournament is located in Buffalo, it could attract crowds from Southern Ontario, Ohio, Michigan, and other places in NY (i.e., possibly individuals from GLAM and BEAST).

If the goal of the tournament series is to encourage participation/attendance in tournaments, then allowing a tournament to be part of multiple series could be a good way of doing so. Then, we could consider a tournament to be part of a series if it satisfies the following criteria:
  • Is within a reasonable commute
  • If the tournament organizer desires
  • If it is approved by the tournament series organizer

Thanks for the clarification/thoughts!

Reply with quote Back to top
GaixoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2019 - 07:05 AM
Former President

United States of America
The sanctioning document does address that scenario to some extent. It says:
      Quote:
A tournament must receive advance permission (from the TD/TSD) if it wants to take part in more than one series. This will usually not be permitted.
As I recall, there was some anxiety about tournaments in the UK suggesting that they were extra important by signing up for several overlapping series.

This case might be unique in that most of Gary's tournaments take place at conventions, so they're not eligible for BEAST consideration anyway. With that in mind, I think it's most sensible to just let him run as part of GLAM.

(I had broached the idea of having 2 concurrent series in the BEAST zone: the current structured series we're holding and another "round-up" Open Series for all of the rest, including those taking place at conventions. The TSO thought it was questionable and no one volunteered to run it, so that plan never went ahead.)

seanh1986Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Seri  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2019 - 09:30 AM

Canada
      Gaixo wrote:
As I recall, there was some anxiety about tournaments in the UK suggesting that they were extra important by signing up for several overlapping series.

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking of how that rule might affect the European market. Thanks for the insight! Smile

I will add Gary's tournaments to the GLAM list. Welcome aboard, Gary!

TojurubOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament   PostPosted: Jan 22, 2019 - 11:56 AM

Germany
This is what I told Caio as a recommendation: The geographic boundaries of the series don't need to be the same as States borders. The issue in the UK was that there were tournaments participating in two series and/or the was no clear boundary, northern cities were supposed to participate in the southern series. Me personally I would habe no issue if Buffalo takes part in GLAM and NYC take part in BEAST, but the opposite I would not allow. I told Caio, that he needs to talk to the TSO and TOs to come to an amicable solution, which makes sense.

In Germany, for example, we have a split State (Hessia), the southern part takes part in the SBBM and the northern part in the NBBM, just because it makes the most sense geographically. there is no overlap, but a nice next-to-each-other and coaches close to the split line enjoy participating in both series

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Garion26Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2019 - 02:18 PM

United States of America
Hey sorry for being quiet. My NAF membership expired earlier this month in the midst of this thread so I couldn't respond until the re up had taken hold.

I'm happy to do whatever. Sounds like GLAM it is! I'm happy to be part of the field.

To be clear our upstate NY events are mostly held at multi event tournament weekends - mostly Warhammer (AoS/40K) Grand Tournaments and Kings of War. Respectively Crossroads GT, Da Boyz GT, and Beef and Wing Brawl. They aren't conventions per se (there's no convention fee for example like there is at Origins or NOVA) but I am not sure what the dividing line for a 'convention' BEAST is.

Beef and Wing Brawl is run by someone else Nogle.

Gary

caioOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2019 - 01:41 PM

Uruguay
So are we all good for Gary's tournament going into GLAM?

Im not from the us, so i dont feel comfortable drawing a line in the state by myself. BUT, as rules are written by now, we must do that.

I prefer if you gentleman get to a consensus on that. So please, let me know where the line shouñld be draw, and update your series rules accordingly.

We may retake this conversation in a couple of months, when every TSO will be called to talk about the series rules.

Garion26Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2019 - 02:30 PM

United States of America
To me I think what's most important is my two events appear not eligible for BEAST as they aren't stand alone events.

So i'd like to be in some series. I think both GLAM and BEAST organizers are on board based on their posts here.

I'm willing and it appears Nogle who runs Beef and Wing (about an hour west of my Da Boyz and 3 hours west of my Crossroads events but still in NY state) has already decided to be part of GLAM.

Do we need a line on the map or can we just review each event as they come up? Geographically our upstate events are much closer to the GLAM events (closest is about 90 minutes from me and 30 minutes from Beef and Wing) then we are to the NY city ones (about 6 hours from me.)

If by policy we need a line on the map I'll defer to others to set it -New York is an oddly shaped state but maybe 4 hours from NYC?
But I think maybe we just do it on a case by case basis.

Gary

Buffalo_ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2019 - 12:01 PM

Canada
Hello guys!

This is fantastic news that only the top 5 tourney will count for ranking!! Now we are talking!

I just want to let you know that 2019 is mine!! Cool

The era of players like grant doing 200 tournaments per year to make sure they win something IS over!!!! (Love you grant!) SmileSmile

Good luck everyone!

grant85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2019 - 07:54 AM

Canada
      Buffalo_Chris wrote:
Hello guys!

This is fantastic news that only the top 5 tourney will count for ranking!! Now we are talking!

I just want to let you know that 2019 is mine!! Cool

The era of players like grant doing 200 tournaments per year to make sure they win something IS over!!!! (Love you grant!) SmileSmile

Good luck everyone!

bah hahahahahhahaha

bonne chance

NAF NTO, Canada
NAF Membership Coordinator, Canada

Buffalo_ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2019 - 11:24 AM

Canada
Hello guys!

Question regarding the achievement system : Let's say i do level 2 on one achievement.. do i get 2 pts.. or 1 pts (for first one) + 2 pts (for the second one) ?

Are you planning to do a ranking for the achievements ?

Dagger bowl is now compiled on the NAF... so you could update the ranking Smile

Sorry.. i'm excited!!

seanh1986Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2019 - 06:45 AM

Canada
      Buffalo_Chris wrote:
Hello guys!

Question regarding the achievement system : Let's say i do level 2 on one achievement.. do i get 2 pts.. or 1 pts (for first one) + 2 pts (for the second one) ?

Are you planning to do a ranking for the achievements ?

If you do both Level 1 and Level 2, you get 3 total points (1 + 2).

There will be rankings for achievements. I had to re-code the entire process to support the new ranking and achievements. I officially have the achievements working and calculating properly, now I just need to work on the best way of visualizing it on the website.

I'll try to put something out temporarily in the next couple of weeks.

Buffalo_Chris wrote:
Hello guys!
Dagger bowl is now compiled on the NAF... so you could update the ranking Smile

Glad to hear that it was finally updated! I have been asking daggers on facebook for the score files since the night of the tournament so that I can run my automated script and have not heard back yet.

I will be sure to keep harassing him and get you your updated rankings as soon as possible!

Buffalo_Chris wrote:
Hello guys!
Sorry.. i'm excited!!

I'm glad you're excited! Smile

runki_khrumOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2019  PostPosted: May 23, 2019 - 11:23 AM

Canada
No results for Fruit Bowl yet? Also can we get a link to the standings in the initial post of this thread?

Rats gone wild! (.)(.)

bilbon007Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2019  PostPosted: May 26, 2019 - 09:29 PM

Canada
Hello Everyone, Oasis Bowl in Québec City is comming 8-9 june. Nice place to have fun and make GLAM points Smile

Buffalo_ChrisOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2019  PostPosted: Jun 10, 2019 - 08:34 AM

Canada
Oasis Bowl completed this week-end Smile

3rd place for 11 pts.. so i have 36 pts in 3 tourney..

Be affraid... VERY affraid!! (Evil Laugh)

Smile

Buffalo_ChrisOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Great Lakes Amorical Tournament Series 2019  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2019 - 07:49 AM

Canada
Hey sean.. did you receive the results for the Oasis Bowl?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic