NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 03:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Wood Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: To varnish or not to varnish?  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 - 05:50 PM

United States of America

Some recommend not varnishing a nicely painted team is the best thing to do because varnish may yellow with time. Personally, I put a lot of time and effort into painting my players and I want to make sure the paint stays. I painted and varnished my first team about 6 years ago and so far I haven't noticed any yellowing. Usually, the first coat is gloss varnish for protection. The second is a matt varnish to remove the shine and avoid figures that resemble traffic lights.

What do the painters think? And if they do varnish, what varnish do they use?

Reply with quote Back to top
KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 - 06:52 PM

I'm not bgy any stretch of the imagination a por painter, but i tend to use a ral partha spray gloss lightly fir fixative, then use matt brush on generic matte to take off the sine....

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
ChargerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 - 11:29 PM

I have a friend who used some kind of art supply varnish on a White Scars Warhammer 40K army. I believe it's a special varnish used in a specific art application (not sealing minis) but I don't know what the brand was. His Rhino and Predator tanks DID turn yellow in a few months. I use some cheap spray I get at Micheals (a craft store in the US) and I've never had a model turn colors.

Chris

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2003 - 08:30 PM

Woah thought that was a local store in my area Smile. That's where the "generic" varnish I use comes from. It's actyually for sealing porcelain and it's made to last FOREVER. I have minatures from high school 12 years ago that are still around and in perfect condition.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic