NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 12:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tooter Booter rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 11:01 AM

Toronto, ON
it doesn't really matter what the rules are IMO, I go to tourneys to have fun and play a little BB with people I don't normally get to game with. In the end, I couldn't care less what the rules are.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 - 11:15 AM

Undisclosed
But would you still have as much fun if you were down to 6 players after 2 games?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 - 12:49 AM

Darkson wrote:
In a tournamnt like this then, I'd probably run dwarves. OK, so they won't score loads, but they probably won't take half as much punishment as the other teams.

You've got a point. Still, there must be some leagues consisting not entirely of Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves. And surely some of these other races manage to win a league once in a while?

Only if you're a very careful or defensive player will the choice of Dwarf or Chaos Dwarf be the only one. Choosing a Skaven or Elf team will put you at risk of being beaten to pulp, but that's nothing new. That's Blood Bowl.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
reventlovOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 - 01:30 AM

Well, I hope you get a great number of coaches to test your rules but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure more people than me won't spend the time with that tournament when the chances of being demolished first game (or second) would take out a lot of fun from the game.

Tournaments ar for fun but I play to win also. If I feel the rules are not making the best coach win but the luckiest coach win I see no point in being there.

Please, Puckohue, don't take this the wrong way, but I hoped for more and was really disappointed with the ruleset. Wasn't the rules at Lincon ok? Next year no painting/convertion etc will be counted. Sportmanship though will have some impact.

How will you handle or control cheaters? I must say with your system it's very tempting to just modify some dices like gate, injuries etc....Will you trust people or have a judge at every table?

I still think your system favours luck instead of skill. I play halflings first match and get some critical upgrades and wow I have a good chance in the tournament but did I get there because I played well? No just luck.

See ya next tournament perhaps.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 - 02:54 AM

The reason I like the rules seen in most tournaments is the fact that it ensures matches between even teams. It maximises the amount of happy coaches and minimises the threat of unhappy coaches in the tournament.
Permanent injuries and possibly wrecked teams in turn result in unhappy coaches who feel that their chances were ripped off just because they were a bit unlucky with injuries.

Member #52

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 - 03:12 AM
Da Warboss

England
true.
if you are at a disadvantage in future matches due to injuries, then the pairings are not fair. Say I was playing Mestari, but he had lost 3 players for our match - if I won, it wouldn't have shown who was the better player, it would simply have shown I can take advantage of a depleted, under-strength team.

Fair enough, this game is based on luck, but where possible a coach's skill should be used to decide the outcome of a match. SPPs were designed for long term league structures, where player loss and injuries tend to be averaged across all teams, but in a 6 match tournament they are too unbalanced. I know you want to take a pure LRB approach, but bear in mind the league rules are NOT for tournaments and this WILL show on the day.

still, it'll be interesting to see what happens... I just don't think I'd want to participate in a tournament where one bad result would ruin my chances for EVERY match in the tournament, rather than just one.

NAF #60

CapuletOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2003 - 09:11 AM

Heres my five cents of wisdom...
I have run tournaments using the standard league rules before and it has worked out just fine. The major concern here seems to be that a better coach can loose a tournament because of bad luck or the opponents good luck. If you win because you calculated all the moves in the right way or because you took advantage of the other teams weaknesses really doesn't matter to me, it's just different strategies - the winner is still the winner.
I guess you could crunch all the numbers and lay out the statistics, but at the end of the day I really don't think it matters that much what rules you use - the great coaches will still win over the mediocre and incompetent. My only hope is that the mediocre and incompetent coaches had a lot of fun in the process.

Hopefully we will get enough coaches to run the tournament and then we'll see if we did the right choice... Laughing

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2003 - 02:19 AM
Da Warboss

England
must... resist....
sorry but I couldn't!
What if a team gets a pitch invasion that does a reasonable number of BH, SI or RIP results? There is a difference between playing skill on the pitch and then sheer luck when it comes to rolling skills & permanent injuries.

NAF #60

LouisXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2003 - 02:49 AM

Undisclosed

Capulet wrote:
      Quote:
I guess you could crunch all the numbers and lay out the statistics, but at the end of the day I really don't think it matters that much what rules you use - the great coaches will still win over the mediocre and incompetent. My only hope is that the mediocre and incompetent coaches had a lot of fun in the process.

Hopefully we will get enough coaches to run the tournament and then we'll see if we did the right choice...

I must say you're wrong. Like it happened during the BB or the RDV BB, i destroyed at least one of my 6 opponents teams... Rolling Eyes What are these people chances after that (when you have 2 deaths, 4 SI.....)? Shocked

It's not fun. The normal system works fine for a league. For a tournament, it's not the best system. You either end up with only having strong teams or people being frustrated. Don't tell me that winning against 6 high elves with orcs or dwarves shows how you play... Confused

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
CapuletOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 31, 2003 - 05:41 AM

Well, obviously there are different ways of looking at Blood Bowl... I like to think of it from more of a roleplaying perspective, i.e. it's the better team that should win not the better coach. Bad luck is just bad luck and if I get struck by it I at least have something to blame Wink
I understand all of your concerns if you look at it in from a board/stategic games perpective, where the the skill of the coach is what counts...
Spettcake is however a tournament that takes the roleplaying perspective since there seems to be few, if any, other tournaments doing that and I for one think that uniformity is an evil thing Twisted Evil

CapuletOffline
Post subject: Spettcake review  PostPosted: Aug 04, 2003 - 12:28 AM

The first Spettcake Bowl was finished this weekend and the general comments from the attending coaches were positive. The number of coaches attending was rather small, eight to be exact. We had one team that got half of its players injured during the first game and the coach chose to leave the team and start with another. We also had one coach leaving the tournament after two games since he wasn't doing very well.
The winning team was a High Elf team and the runner up was Skaven.
I suppose it is impossible to say that the league rules work perfectly fine after running one tournament with only eight teams, but at least we can say that it is not imossible and that we will do it again!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic