NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 05, 2024 - 09:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
In Roze-El we trust. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject: San Diego Comic Con Tourny?  PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 08:55 AM

Hey all you SoCal BB Players,

Any chance we can organize a tourny at the San Diego Comic Con? That would be a blast! (Plus, I can't afford to travel to much, and I want to play in a tourny, dangit! Embarassed )

Chris

Reply with quote Back to top
biggdorkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 12:19 PM

I was just about to post something about this, I am all for helping to organize one. Also, coming up I believe in May, is Kublacon in the SF area. Last year, and I think this year as well, Andy Chambers and Gav Thorpe will be attending, so maybe that would help the BB draw. I don't know, but maybe.

I think all we need to do is contact the North America or US tournament "director" with the NAF, ask his approval, then contact Comic Con and see if they have some space for us, get some times, costs, etc worked out and we are off to the races!

Any and all guidance/help/thought would be much obliged on this subject!

Eric

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 12:46 PM

The more I think about this, the more I think we can do this. Getting in touch with the Con people shouldn't be that difficult. I was thinking of a one day event, between 8 to 10 hours for the whole thing (I've never done this before, is that a good amount of time?). The only thing I see as a real problem is boards. I only have access to two boards. Does anyone know a good way to get just boards for use during a tourny?

Chris

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 12:56 PM

United States of America
Ask people to bring their own. It's not that much to pack.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 01:16 PM

United States of America
Most tournements ask you to bring a board. The Gen Con tourney, is even proposing a prize for best home-made pitch. Hope everything comes together and you get a great turnout.

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 01:29 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'll do that. Maybe I'll even work on a custom pitch of my own for use in the big final.

Chris

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I'm getting into this now. I have a contact with the Comic Con who's in charge of gaming. Now, I need people to help run the event. I'm going to ask people from my league, but I'll need more. Who here that's going would like to help me run the event?

Chris

biggdorkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 05:49 PM

I'm in. I wasn't positively planning on attending, but if there is a reason, and I can be a part of a BB tourney, I'M IN!!!!

I'll try to brainstorm some ideas this weekend and come up with some ideas about costs, boards, prizes, merchandise, format, size, times, days , etc.

This is exciting (on paper anyway)!!!!!!

Let's get this thing rolling!

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 06:12 PM
Former President

England
Have you guys checked out the 'How to run a successful BB tourney' article?
Format wise we could probably get you the rulespacks for the various tournies held so far, which might help or provide a starting point that you may want to modify. (Once the Blood Bowl's been and gone and I get the time I intend to collate all the various formats so that potential organisers can access them from one place.)
Go ahead and brainstorm some ideas, and yell out loud if you need any advice on various aspects. Hell, that's why we're here. Good luck!Smile

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 - 06:22 PM

Deathwing wrote:
Have you guys checked out the 'How to run a successful BB tourney' article?
Format wise we could probably get you the rulespacks for the various tournies held so far, which might help or provide a starting point that you may want to modify. (Once the Blood Bowl's been and gone and I get the time I intend to collate all the various formats so that potential organisers can access them from one place.)
Go ahead and brainstorm some ideas, and yell out loud if you need any advice on various aspects. Hell, that's why we're here. Good luck!Smile

I have, actually, checked that out. I also have the guidelines from the Blood Bowl downloaded from www.bloodbowl.com. But, anything else you have would be appreciated, as I have never done anything like this before. Smile

One thing I do need to mention. The company that runs the con is a Non-profit group, and doesn't normally charge extra charges for events taking place at the convention, so I'd like to make this as low cost as possible and free to participants. Paying to get into the convention can be expensive enough as it is. Shocked

Chris

ggierschOffline
Post subject: Anything I Can Do to Help!  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2003 - 06:26 AM

Howdy,

I'm the U.S. Tournament Organizer. Feel free to contact me with any other questions you have so that we could get you set up to be an officially sanctioned NAF event! If you'd like to start a dialogue, feel free to do so at giersch@sbcglobal.net

Looking forward to seeing another tournament here in the U.S.!

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 09:45 AM

Okay, guys, here's what I got so far.

The tourny is going to be called the San Diego Bowl. I'm going to try and find a trophy that's an actual bowl, as opposed to the standard cup. Smile

I like the way the Blood Bowl is set up, so I think I'll use that style. Three rounds with 2 hours per round, and the top two teams at the end of the third round will play for the tourniment championship. I like the scoring system they have too, so we'll probably go with that. I have a couple of guys from my league willing to help, and they'll probably be referees.

As soon as I hear back from the Con guys, I'm going to head to a couple local stores to see if I can't get prizes from them, so we can have Best Coach, Best Painted Team, etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? Anything that seems to be missing from this?

Thanks to everyone for all the support too!

Chris

YzermanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 11:57 AM

Any chance this WON'T be held over the weekend (as in Saturday or Sunday)? I know that probably doesn't make much sense from a logistical standpoint, but I wanted to check.

Jon

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 12:55 PM

Yzerman wrote:
Any chance this WON'T be held over the weekend (as in Saturday or Sunday)? I know that probably doesn't make much sense from a logistical standpoint, but I wanted to check.

Jon

Well, I was hoping to do it on Saturday, as a one day tourny, to get the majority of players, but it depends on what the Con says. Also, I've thought that maybe Friday would be better, as Saturday is often the day with the most things going on, and to ask people to ignore all the cool stuff going on at the con to play BB might be unfair. So, I'm still open on the day as of right now.

Chris

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 07:44 AM

I'd probably be able to make it if you got it put together.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic