NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 05, 2024 - 08:28 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Any day now. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 06:39 AM

I herby claim worst luck, and most fun. I tied 2 consecutive games simply because of bad luck.
First game, all I needed was my Rat Ogre not to roll double skulls and
then my Gutter Runner could go in to a TD. I rolled double skulls. (Tie)

Second Game - Last play, needed my gutter runner to recieve a clean handoff. Rolled a 1. (Tie)

3rd Game- Open play, Rat Ogre double skulls, then stopped the Orcs cold, had 8 of his players trapped against the wall. Then Thrud turned on me in second half. Very close game. Final result 0-1 loss.

4th Game. Oh I got sick.......

Every time I fouled using anyone BUT Thrudd, I got caught and failed to break amour.

Best part was watching my opponets figure out how the heck they were going to stop my front line. Thrud, HeadSplitter, and RatOgre.

Gots lots of colpliments on my paint job. So guess what..... I'm putting the whole team on Ebay for auction. 2 Rat Ogres, 2 Storm Vermin, 7 Linerat, 2 Throwers, 4 gutter runners, 1 apothocary, 1 head coach.

Last edited by jmccubbin on Jul 28, 2003 - 09:10 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 07:42 AM
Da Warboss

England
so does anyone have any pictures to share? or who the winner was?

NAF #60

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 08:32 AM

Undisclosed
My pics will have to wait for return to Florida - but what a great great time! Not enough space or time to convey all the thoughts of the tournament, the convention, or the players. Just a wonderful time playing Blood Bowl.

James, you may stake claim to the worst luck (though there are rumors of other contenders . . .) but I'll definitely challenge you on who had the most fun - there's hopefully 50 or so other guys who feel the same! Very Happy

And though I'm certain I will say this more than once in more than one stage, I'll start first here - THANK YOU, Galak, for organizing, promoting, and conducting a first class event - it exceeded all expectations.
Well done!

-OMM

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 10:24 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I typed a massive documentation on the tournament and the TBB system ate it without posting it (which I was going to copy over here) .... I'll try again later guys.

Well until I get time to retype all that here are the 4 most important pieces:

1) Results: http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/GenCon2003Results.htm
2) Race Results: http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/GenCon2003RaceResults.htm
3) Winning # for the contest: 59 ... which means Deathwing won the mini (we had 69 people pay for the tournament but had 10 no-shows)
4) No team with Star Players took any of the 5 performance trophies (ie 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Most TDs, or Most CAS) ... and only the Humans had a team with a star player place higher than all the teams from the same race without them. .... ie the NEW SYSTEM WORKED!!!!

I'll retype all the other stuff later ... d*mn TBB board eating my post.

Galak

Other last note ... found a caster with a booth at GenCon ... his figs looked good, his price was reasonable ... sooooooo .... sent the blood-bowl.net limited edition fantasy football fig to the caster on Saturday. He expected I'll have the 300 I ordered in by the end of the September at the latest. So Melfaxis/Indigo/Deathwing ... your prizes will be coming soon.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 10:45 AM

United States of America
It sounds like a great event!!!

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to attend (same for Chaos Cup). Next year...

Cool news on the mini front as well, thanks for the update Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 01:33 PM

Toronto, ON
Same here, bad timing for me. I won't miss the next one! Our TBBF representatives did us proud, Dave placed 10th with Goblins Shocked and Jason came in 26th with his Undead. Way to go lads!

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 01:43 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Same here, bad timing for me. I won't miss the next one! Our TBBF representatives did us proud, Dave placed 10th with Goblins Shocked and Jason came in 26th with his Undead. Way to go lads!

Anthony ... I'd love to hear from Jason if he still think bringing Luthor for 260k on his Undead was a good investment after playing the 4 games at the tournament.

Also just to show you how close Dave was to WINNING the tournament with his Goblins. ONE more TD in ANY 2 of his 4 games would have given him 233 points which would have won the tournament.

Galak

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 02:19 PM

United States of America
With Goblins!??!!
Shocked

WOW!

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 28, 2003 - 04:12 PM

Toronto, ON
Dave plays Gobbos almost exclusively in our league, he's learned to use them well! At the last Orion Cup he cleared the pitch with them against a Chaos team. I mean literally cleared it. check out the Chaos dugout:

Only 3 guys left on the pitch near the end:

Go Gobbos! Smile

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 - 01:47 AM
Da Warboss

England
lol thats a sight
nice pitch & dugout too

goblins - team for the future?
Very Happy

NAF #60

OmbiOffline
Post subject: The Mighty Goblins!?  PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 - 05:55 PM

I feel lucky about the game I had against Dave's goblins. I was up 2-0 thanks the the dice rolls, then hung on for the 2-2 tie game. I was the only coach that he didn't beat. Shocked It was a great game with tons of laughs. I just wish I was able to talk during the tourney, stupid hoarse throat.

Anyway, I had a great time, and I WILL drag local coaches with me next year. Thanks for organizing a great tournament, Tom!

Now hopefully Dave's Gobbos won't be at Gamesday Chicago. Very Happy My Chaos Dwarfs are hungry for the trophy.

Ombi

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 - 07:05 AM

Toronto, ON
      Indigo wrote:
lol thats a sight
nice pitch & dugout too

goblins - team for the future?
Very Happy

Yup, Dave's pitch is somethin' else. It's the one that won the Best Pitch award at GenCon. He has a lot of little touches that are added over time, everytime I see it it has something new on it Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 - 07:29 AM

United States of America
This proves it: Goblins are too powerful...they need to be STR 1 Wink

Laughing

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 - 02:51 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Guys ... everyone has times in their lives when they go ... oh for the love of Pete you have to be kidding me.

I just had one of those today.

Chet and I were going through the GenCon results to try to decide if the system worked ... how to improve it ... etc, etc. etc. Chet is a great guy for looking a numbers similar to what I like to do.

In the process of looking over the numbers I realized that I had factored in the wrong number of drops when I double checked that everyone who had played had their Painting and Sportsmanship votes entered into the spreadsheet. I was off by one, which meant I missed the fact that one person's votes were never entered. I would like to mention at this point that I've reprogrammed the spreadsheet to seriously red flag if this happens again for next year.

The person whose sheet I missed was Jaylazer's (Jay Deckman). Who as Nuffle and Murphy would perdict had played one of the top 3 players. In fact Jay had played Wolfgang (aka Oakinava on TBB). Jay's combined Sportmanship and Painting points for Wolfgang were 12 points. Which means he won the GenCon Bowl with 241 points, Matt came in second with 231, and Ben in 3rd with 230.

At this point there is nothing I can do to erase the awards of the day. However, I have already contacted Wolfgang and trust me when I say that I'll make it right by Wolfgang ... in fact between the 3rd place finish and the stuff that I'll hook him up with, the overall effect will be pretty good.

Also when I write the article for BB Mag. I will make sure that Wolfgang is given proper credit.

Finally before someone like Tim mentions it. YES, Wolfgang had a 3 win - 1 loss record AND that loss was actually to Ben who with these new points he would have placed 1st over while Ben got 3rd. All I can say to that is that I have revised the system for next year because I realize that winning needed slightly more umph! in the scoring. The revised system that I'm currently looking at for GenCon 2004 would have Ben in 1st (301 points), Wolfgang 2nd (299), and Matt 3rd (287) with the same game data. As a sidenote, Khankill would get 4th under the new system (285) But that is all hindsight AND futuresight in the same paragraph .. sorry!

The bottom line here ... I screwed up. I'm making it public, and I'll make sure that my site and the BB Mag article mention the error as well. In addition, I'll make sure Wolfgang gets a Championship trophy of some type. It may not be as good as the real one, but it will be something for the mantle since for the rules of that tournament he was the winner of the day.

And me ... I'm going to now shot people who drop out of my tournaments which is what made me not realize that I was off by one on the Sportsman/Paint votes, and I'm going to make sure that next year the spreadsheet has several double checks so that this won't happen again.

I'll leave this humbling post with the thought that Wolfgang now joins the distinguished club of "robbed" coaches for major BB events.

Chet Z. for going undefeated, allowing no TDs against him, and only one player to cross the LOS with the ball the entire Resurrection tournament and not even placing in the top 3.

Geoff Porritt who would have won the Resurrection tournament if not for an error on his scoring sheet.

Now we get to add Wolfgang to the list ... I'm glad everyone is saying they had a great time. Sorry for this error on my part (going to hunt down and kill the drop players me thinks) ... and I look forward to trying again next year with a lot more idea of how to run a major BB event.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 - 02:51 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

GenCon pictures are now loaded at:
http://www.blood-bowl.net/GenCon/2003/

Also ... if you have questions on what a pic is ... please ask.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic