NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 03:58 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 01:44 PM

Undisclosed
A shovel pass in NFL is still a 'pass' the ball is thrown albeit a very short distance. A 'hand-off' is just that, when the QB 'hands off' the ball to a full back or running back who then runs the ball. I think this debate is another case of the rules not 'specifically saying you can'y do a thing therefore you must be allowed to do it'. In reality (and yes I know this is fantasy) if you were standing right next to your teammate and wanted to given him or her the ball you would do so by the quickest (and safest) means possible. You would stick your hand out and place the ball in their waiting arms. It's a similar argument to people waiting one square away from the endzone while the rest of the team beats up your players. 'It doesn't specifically say I can't do it so I can'. It's just another cheesy interpretation. If you want your players to gain those SPPs be a 'real' BB coach and pull off a spectacular move to get it. Throw a long bomb for no other reason than to get the SPPs. That's earning your SPP.

Reply with quote Back to top
KarlLindemannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 02:38 PM

Peotone, Illinois
a shovel 'pass' isn't really a 'pass' it is a handoff because the QB would get no completion. . . Confused

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 03:49 PM

Sure it does! It's a forward pass. http://www.nfl.com/ce/recap/0,3762,NFL_20011203_GB@JAC,00.html
Check the link and you'll see a game recap of a Packers game in which Brett Farve is credited with a TD pass for a 13 yard gainer to Ahman Green.

-Oscar Wilde

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 04:28 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

ABigwood wrote:
In reality (and yes I know this is fantasy) if you were standing right next to your teammate and wanted to given him or her the ball you would do so by the quickest (and safest) means possible. You would stick your hand out and place the ball in their waiting arms. It's a similar argument to people waiting one square away from the endzone while the rest of the team beats up your players. 'It doesn't specifically say I can't do it so I can'. It's just another cheesy interpretation.

The BB pitch is 15 SQUARES across and 26 long.

Before you pull in the reality argument and declare it cheesy ... think about what you are saying.

That means if a BB pitch was applied to an NFL field each square would be 10.5 feet wide by 11.5 feet long. Which means applied to reality as you wanted to do the player is likely 10.5 feet away or it would even be possible to be 23 feet (almost 8 yards ... ie he could be almost the distance for a first down away for NFL rules and still be in an ADJACENT square if you had a grid on the field). If you know any quarterbacks with 10.5 feet long arms .... THEN I'll buy the whole stick out your arm and hand it to them argument. Basically what I'm trying to say is that a Shovel Pass done in the NFL WOULD be an adjacent square pass if you did the math for the distance.

Listen guys there is nothing at all wrong with an adjacent square quick pass and anyone who thinks its cheesy just doesn't get it in my opinion. I do adjacent quick passes often if I've already handed off NOT because I want to get any SPPs ... its so if I screw up and fumble or the catcher drops it there is a good chance to have 2 TZs on the ball. If you have an elf coach who is doing it to get easy SPPs ... more power to him ... thats the right way to play Elves and its also a great way to turnover over the ball on double 1s for two different events instead of one.

The reality argument really works against you on this one ... so I'd stay away from it. Its not cheesy, its not unrealistic, and I'd never disallow it any league I ran.

Galak (otherwise referred to on TBB as da Numba Cruncher)

SuMOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2003 - 08:11 PM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
I don't wanna "beat a Dying Dog", just to clarify something...
I don't wanna get yelled at... so instead of me creating another post, i thought it would be better to hike a ride on another post....

You are allowed 1 "Hand Off" per turn, and 1 "Passing Action" per turn???
Both are allowed???
Yes or No...

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2003 - 10:35 PM

Undisclosed
Yes, 1 of each.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic