NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:16 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Lizardman team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2003 - 12:56 PM

To expand on my previous message: I'm leery of statements like "these are the only teams above X%" because it would only take one or two losses or bad rounds to completely invalidate that statement. Take the CP MBBL teams as a collective example. They're at a winning percentage of 70.45% right now - in other words, a .500 round would completely invalidate that statement. And that result is more likely than not.

-Chet

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2003 - 01:24 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Sorry ... guess, I should have expanded. Its not just the MBBL stats. I'm seeing reports from other leagues also.

Example FUMBBL, if you take the win percentages of races in FUMBBL (all 15 official LRB and the 9 experimental teams) ... currently its:

Old World 49%
Wood Elf/Lustrian 48%
Chaos Dwarf 47%
Skaven/Amazon 46%
Undead/Chaos Pact/Elf 45%
Lizardmen 44%
Dark Elf/High Elf/Necromantic 42%
Dwarf 41%
Orc/Khemri 40%
Human 39%
Norse 38%
Nurgle's Rotter 37%
Vampire 36%
Chaos 35%
Ogre 34%
Goblin 32%
Halfling 21%

Again ... the Pacts teams are at the top of the report.
So far we've had consistent reports that these 3 races are doing very well in league play. I've seen a lot of different leagues reporting in how well the teams are doing. If there is evidence to the negatives of the team, I'll be the first to be happy to see it. But I've just not seen the evidence so far that suggests that the teams are on the side of too good.

And yes Chet I understand that statistics can be deceptive, but I'm just collecting what I've been seeing. I'm not saying that the axe should be put to the Pact teams, but I do think they need at least one more year of testing to see if they balance out at all.

Galak

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2003 - 02:16 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

But what can be done to balence them out? Expensive re-rolls only goes so far....

224th at The World Cup II

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2003 - 02:59 PM

Undisclosed
Maybe they should all get the Creeper's dug-out rule?

http://www.blood-bowl.net/MBBLTeams/UnderworldCreepers.html

Or something along those lines?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 - 11:27 AM

I'm more concerned about the ease with which Chaos Dwarves, Wood Elves, Dwarves, and Skaven seem to claim so many victories than I am with the mixed-race teams being on that level. Why? Simple. Mixed-race teams can be tweaked without much fuss; the others will raise a big stink, even if it's obvious that they're out of whack. (Same applies to the old Undead.)

As I see it, a number of factors can be used to tweak a team. These include:

* Overall TR
* Position limits
* Skill access
* Re-roll costs
* Special rules (e.g., no Apothecary for Rotter teams)

When looking at results, you have to analyze more than simple wins and losses. For example:

* How much of a role has luck played?
* How good is the coach at the helm?
* What other rules or teams are in play?
* How well can a poor coach do with the same team?
* How well can the same coach do with another team?
* How much variability is acceptable?
* At what point does a team become "too good"?

(It's that last point that causes the most contention, I think. Clearly, some team is going to sit atop the latest tournament results ladder. It's just the way things work.)

Specifically, I don't regard the mixed-race teams as problematic. I understand that some folks do, but I believe this is because they expect the team to struggle "just because," ala Big Guy and Stunty teams. I don't expect any such thing; in the hands of a good coach, I expect each of those teams to be good. They're roughly on par with Human, Norse, and Amazon teams, although they're definitely different than those teams.

How different? Well, that depends on the roster you construct. I know most coaches would say, "Hey, Chaos Pact teams get a Gutter Runner. That's not cool - you can't mix ST4 and AG4." But one of the best teams in Tom's MBBL, the Horde D'Ouevres, is a Chaos Pact team with a Skaven Thrower and an Orc Thrower. My own Chaos Pact team has no Gutter Runner (although I was fortunate enough to roll AG +1 on a Skaven Kicker.) In other words, this team's success is not dictated by the presence of a Gutter Runner, so criticism of the team on this count sounds better than it plays.

(It doesn't hurt the Horde's chances that they're coached by Rich Kelly, either. As I mentioned, many variables determine a team's success. My own team features four AG +1 players and a ST +1 Beastman.)

The trick is setting a level and deciding whether the team meets that criterion or not. Everyone has an opinion on whether Team A is "balanced" or not. Having coached (or coached against) Team A isn't a requirement for having that opinion, but it helps inform that opinion. I am in no great rush to make these teams official, but I've asked my own league mates many times whether they think these teams are too good. These guys (and gal) have faced off against my squad exactly 20 times, but I have yet to hear, "Yes. The team needs to lose one Big Guy." Or, "Yes. The re-rolls need to be pricer." Or, "Yes. The Chaos Pact team shouldn't have access to Skaven." And these are from coaches who would know better, given that my record is 15-5 in the NFL.

In looking at the mixed-race rosters, there are plenty of variable points that can be "dialed down" (or up) to adjust the team's strength. Among them:

* Allowed races
* Big Guys
* Position limits
* Secondary race limits on the base roster
* Re-roll costs
* Special rules

I don't think these teams need the adjustments - if they do, they'd need to be minor to keep the team attractive, which is why I suggested one Big Guy and a 70K re-roll cost. But the less attractive a team gets - whether due to ineptitude (Halfling, Goblin) or difficulty to coach (Khemri) - the better the coaches it attracts. And the better the coaches, the better the winning percentages...so you have to watch your conclusions.

-Chet

kaltenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 - 05:17 PM

mmmm...intresting debate. My view on it is that the teams are unbalanced, but not to a bad extent, no worse than the amazons at least. In tournament play all the races play differently. It seems to me that the balance between league and tourny play still needs to be met for a lot of the races. The original races from the original rulebook all work against each other, but after the new races got added things started to go downhill. I believe it's not too far out, but a few things still need tweaking.

Whilst I'm on the subject of tweaking, why do the mummies in the Khemri team cost more than the mummies in a normal undead team? Same stats, different costs....Chet?

Download the SWARMM BloodBowl League Spreadsheet!

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 - 06:55 PM

One question while there are so many Chaos Pact Questions floating around. Can you take two of the same big guy <eg 2 treeman for an old world team> for a team?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 - 03:29 AM

England
I would quite like the pact teams with 1 big guy and 70 k re rolls, although I would prefer a more even balance of the 2 main lineman positions. I just don't think that they deserve 2 big guys, not having the disadvantages of the stunty teams.

My guess on the mummies is that when there is more of them they are harder to escape, and therefore more effective. Hence the higher cost. What I would like to know is, which joker gave the Tho-Ra pass?

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 - 06:52 AM

Off Topic: The Mummy has a different price because this is a more accurate price, really. Remember that Khemri, Necromantic, and Vampire teams are intended to replace rather than supplement the old Undead team. If you use all of these side by side in your league, I suggest you bump the Undead team's cost by 10K to equal things.

On Topic: In the posted mixed-race rules from the Annual, you're allowed one of each Big Guy listed. In the revised rules used in the MBBL, I believe Tom is playing two total but one of each. In the NFL, it's two of any combination.

Regarding Big Guys, I started my team with a Troll. I lost that Troll (dead, no regen) in Game #5, by which time I was 5-0. I played the next 12 games without any Big Guys and went 9-3. I picked up a Troll before the Season 2 championship, lost, and lost my next game before buying a Minotaur to complement the Troll. I promptly beat an Ogre team. Just some notes.

-Chet

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 - 02:22 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Ok then, so what about this tweak to their rules then:

Every 'alien' member of the team (i.e. not the 0-12 or 0-2 baseline choice) has to make a 'so has he turned up this match?' roll. On a 2+ the player turns up but on a roll of a 1 he is missing.

The background to this roll is that it represents the hostility that these 'alien' members of the team feel towards the rest of the guys. This type of player is often isolated from the group because of their race and lack of common ground with the rest of the team and this kind of player is far more likely than any other player apart from a Star to pull what is commonly known as 'a sicky'. Such is life on mixed race teams.....

What this would mean is that players of mixed race teams would have a choice:

a) Hire loads of different races for your team and expect to have at least one or two not turn up at any given game (normally at a crucial time!).

b)Only have one or two different races on the team and develope your 'base race' players to make up for any deficiencies in your line up.

This would really make the team a bit less cohesive, which is what a mixed race team is meant to be. What do you reckon?

EDIT: If you reckon this option is a bit too harsh, the dice could be rolled again at half time, on a 2+ he / they turn up... Or the roll could only be for the first half and so regardless on how many guys are missing, they all manage to turn up in time for the second half.

224th at The World Cup II

RIPNEIOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 - 06:25 PM

I hate the pact teams! it destroys the flavour of the game... you have a team with 2 guys at strength 5 ,2 at strength four, your linemen all have block and you also get a gutter runner!! re-roll cost aside this is stupid! Skaven have to deal with a team of str 3 and 2 av 7, access to only 2 players with block and skilless linemen to balance out their gutter runners...

again... a team with block tackle longbeards and a wardancer? dwarves are ment to be slow... this balances their fanatastic starting skill set... you give them a wardancer and it all goes out the window...

not to mention the fluff... pah it's wrong... wrong I tells ya... if these teams become official it'll be the death of Blood Bowl as we know it!

someone mentioned the fubbl stats earlier... I now refuse to play in DivX( the division including the experimental teams) because all anyone plays is pact teams.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
kaltenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 15, 2003 - 07:07 PM

I've got to admit I'm with RIP on this. I used to play in a league (way back in 1994) where you could mix two races together and take upto 4 players from a single other race - re rolls were dictated by the base race. I ended up running out 12-0 winners in the league and winning the knockout cup we held without letting a single TD go past me with my Dwarf / Human mix. It was awesome. (I won the final 7-0!)
After that we didn't really want to play BB for some time as it kinda destroyed the feel of the game. There was a Dwarf / Elf mix, but we found that the lower armour of the elves generaly left a bunch of dwarf linemen on the pitch and not much else, whereas the humans had that little bit of extra staying power.

The whole mixed race thing should either be done the same way the old chaos all stars were done (second ed) or by allowing a max of (I dunno, say...) 2 non base race players in the team who can't use team re rolls.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2003 - 02:02 AM
Da Warboss

England
or not allowing mixed races at all...

NAF #60

anthraxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2003 - 08:57 PM

Pact teams are broken

the only way they might work is if all players were 10,000 more expensive.

You can justify it by saying that it is the extra money the manager had to offer them to play with other people they don't like as opposed to their own race.

This makes pact teams really hard to play in short comps because the start team will need to be mainly skillless linemen and with some expensive re-rolls.

So they will start weak but be able to buy kickass players once the tourney goes on.

I still think they break the game and should be left out of the revision, but if you take them in they need to be forced into using the least number of good players at the beginning (kinda like elf teams)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
WadediditOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 16, 2003 - 11:55 PM

Australia

I had a Chaos Pact team (with the Dark Elf included later retired due to rule change) I played 14 Games and won everyone of them.
I started with lots of FF and ReRolls. I was lucky enought to have a very good Skaven GR and a Dark Elf thrower. The two combined for a 24 TD record from there games together. The GR then continued after this to score 50 in 14 games. With a Minotaur and Ogre at the same time was very damaging as you could leave you Minotaur behind the lines to prevent ganging up. They are if created right the best side going at the moment. Now I have an Orc Thrower which isn't as effective but will do!
I agree with Galak, way too powerful. (The team is now retired after an undefeated season!)

Wade

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic