NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 01:48 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
For sale: Stadium... slightly used. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lazerus_101Offline
Post subject: Furry Tactics vs The Green Horde  PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 - 06:51 AM

Hello there one and all. Im pretty new here and to blood bowl. But I already LOVE the beautiful game. The teams are great and its quick and relatively easy to play.
I do however have a problem. I have 2 teams. One of which my Chaos team the Wasteland Wanderers is doing great. However my Skaven team the No Good Rats frequently gets a thorough kicking by my friends Orc team. Is there any way I can protect my poor soft ratties from getting beat up on. Suggested plays and strategies would be great.
Ta and may all you dice roll Pow

Reply with quote Back to top
CoachGroddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 - 09:45 AM

In that I play Skaven most of the time, and usually against Orcs, I've got some advice to give.

1. Score quickly. The longer you take between scoring, the more hitting your opponent is going to get in on you before you score. Open a hole, get a gutter runner the ball, and head up field. Put some tackle zones on the orcs in the backfield, and you're golden (they'll probably get one hit on your GR, but with Dodge you're probably ok.)

2. Dodge Away. Minimize the number of hits your opponent can take in a turn if you're able, especially on defense. It never hurts to rely on good ole' fashion Orc ball movement incompetence rather than killing 2 or 3 rats to get at the ball carrier, especially if it's a rookie team. Optimally, your opponent will get his one blitz, and that will be his only block of the turn.

3. On the other hand, don't be afraid to hit back. They still only have a strength of 3. I've played many games where I end up scoring more casualties then I lose take from the orcs (the coaches were kind of inexperienced, but meh.)

Another message from the good people of Grodd Corp.

Obey Grodd.

Lazerus_101Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 - 03:50 AM

Hmmm thanks sounds like sound advice.
I think ive been underestimating the gutter runners ability to dodge and just looking at em for their speed.

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 - 08:09 AM

As opposed to trying to get a 1 turn TD scorer, I've been taking dauntless and strip ball on my GR's. That works freakin great. Most players only set up 1 or 2 players in the backfield and those GR's can make it back there and whap em.

Also, take Kick on a lineman, I took that even before block. Let's your GR's get the ball even easier.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 - 09:47 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
GR's with Horns and Dauntless are the best blitzers in the game.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 - 10:22 AM

What about Beastmen with Dauntless?

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 - 08:39 PM

Quote:

Not as good, they only move 6 and if they do manage to knock the ball loose they pick it up on a 3+. Plus, they don't come with dodge.

Now a beastman that gets +2 MA, +1 AG, Block, Dodge, Sprint, and Dauntless is a blitzer to contend with. Very Happy

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 04:24 AM

England
CoachGrodd tells you to dodge away to prevent being blocked into oblivion. You should realise that a 1 die block with a player without block has the same chance of doing the same as a 3+ dodge, with the added bonus that 1 in 2 Orcs will fall over from a successful block as well.

This has 2 advantages. First, it pushes the Orcs back toward their end zone, making it harder to slowly grind their way up field for an 8 turn TD. Secondly, if set up cleverly, the first block is 1 die, and the rest are 2, significantly improving your chances of success.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 06:37 AM

Don't forget that sometimes you just want to stand there. Good examples: You're locked up one-on-one with a Guard and don't want him free to go somewhere else (especially if you fall over).

-Chet

CoachGroddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 10:22 AM

Tutenkharnage wrote:
Don't forget that sometimes you just want to stand there. Good examples: You're locked up one-on-one with a Guard and don't want him free to go somewhere else (especially if you fall over).

-Chet

See also: my third point. The reason I suggest dodging away is that my offensive unit usually consists of three sacrificial rats up on the los just to satisfy the three men on the LOS rule. These guys are double and triple teamed, so dodge away. Under other circumstances, for instance when the gutter runner breaks into the opponent's backfield with the ball and is a turn from scoring, putting tackle zones on the opponent is the next step in the process. All I'm suggesting is that minimizing blocks when playing as an AV 7 team is usually advised Cool

Yes, the Orcs do have a one in 3 chance of knocking themselves down, but they also have an armor value that is two higher than yours, so the chances of an injury are much higher for your players.

Another message from the good people of Grodd Corp.

Obey Grodd.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 08:01 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Tutenkharnage wrote:

MA9, AG4 & Dodge. Even just the 3 extra MA make them better IMO.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic