NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 05:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Vote Varag for Warboss. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Handicap table  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2003 - 05:18 PM

United States of America

Anybody know if there is any plans to modify/substitute the handicap table. As it stands now, I'm not all that sure it plays a significant part in the game. I must say I missed the old cards!

Reply with quote Back to top
PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 - 02:15 AM

The other day I played a game with my TR 206 Skavens against a TR 140 Undead. I lost the game, mainly because of the handicap table which made all of my players with niggling injuries miss the game. A veteran team is bound to have a bunch of players with nigglings.

But no, I have no idea if there're any plans to modify the handicap table Embarassed

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 - 03:12 AM
Da Warboss

England
dunno if it'll become official but one of the BBRC (Milo) came up with a great handicap table that I think is under consideration.

NAF #60

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 - 04:05 PM

In our Leage we play with the old Death Zone cards... AND FUN WE HAVE!
We use the same handicap difference table and also roll for cards using the old table, so now you get extra cards = more fun! I think BB should be all about insanity, that makes it so enjoyable, faiorness is of no importance. It should be unfair. Twisted Evil

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 - 05:01 PM

My league uses a new set of cards. And I have to say that they're great.

-Chet

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2003 - 06:40 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Are you still using your famous grab bag cards or is this a new set?

lackeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 03:12 AM

zeuzism wrote:
extra cards = more fun!

Depends on your tastes. I've played most versions of BB, with and without cards, and have to say that, IMHO, the game is better without. I like knowing that, if I've played well (and my dice don't kill me Rolling Eyes ), then my opponent can't just play some random card to stop me scoring.

What I do miss from 3rd ed. is the extra MVP's you'd get from playing a better team. Sure you'd get a pounding (which you'd expect if Lancaster City played someone like Man Utd.), but you get plenty of experience and kudos for taking that beating.

Doug

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 06:36 AM

Quote:

What I do miss from 3rd ed. is the extra MVP's you'd get from playing a better team.

I agree absolutely. There is no more fun playing a better team. You don't get a lasting reward, just a pounding.

Sanne

mikeyc222Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2003 - 02:54 PM

i actually wrote a long email to andy hall(which he asked my permission to print in a future issue of BB mag...WOOHOO!!) about this. with the current system there is NO incentive for a lower TR team to participate in a league with higher TR teams. in 3rd ed there was with the extra MVP becuase eventually you would catch up. now, the ONLY way to catch up is to score more and hurt more. the problem is, if you're 50 or more points behind your opponent chances are that won't happen, so the rich just get richer(in SPPS that is)

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 03:10 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      lackey wrote:
What I do miss from 3rd ed. is the extra MVP's you'd get from playing a better team.

IMO dropping MVPs is a good thing. The handicap (whatever form it takes) ought to only even out the odds for the game being played

Effects like giving an extra apoth (magic sponge/iron man) are good for ensuring that you don't get hurt too much.

Lazerus_101Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 03:58 AM

Yeah I must say I liked the old SP cards. They added spice and variety to the games. They also meant even when things were going badly you would sometimes have a last ditch hope.

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 04:01 AM

We still use the cards AND the extra MVPS... This combined with a points handicap system and a modified SPP and ageing progression balances teams perfectly Wink and caps teams at 300-350 T/R (if they keep winning!)

However I would agree that in a league where all teams start at the same time extra handicap is not relevant...

But in a big league with TR between 100-350 I think extra MVPs actually make it worthwhile playing a big team, since you're not going to get any other SPPs on average!

I say - if your league doesn't like something, change it... Build your own handicap table or deck of cards Wink Its not like either will ever be used in tournaments....

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

mikeyc222Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 07:52 AM

noodle1978uk wrote:
However I would agree that in a league where all teams start at the same time extra handicap is not relevant...

not always true. i had a team that was fairly even in the league but then had a few games in a row where i lost SEVERAL players. i was hopelessly down and now i never want to play that team again because with the current system, there is NO way i will ever be able to compete with the other teams in that league. i ended up about 50 TR points down and just kept getting further and further behind with every game.

mikeyc222Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 07:54 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
Effects like giving an extra apoth (magic sponge/iron man) are good for ensuring that you don't get hurt too much.

while getting a result like "sponsorship" is pretty f'in useless most of the time.

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2003 - 10:21 AM

I've had something like that happen and actually had the handicap table save my butt with a starplayer sitout in my favor or a bit of bonus cash to recover with. Although I do agree it could use some revamping and as I now there aren't alot of fans of the dreaded "Cards" they did add some fun results to the game Smile. They took a bit of skill out of it though... Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic