NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:17 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
12 men on the pitch? You've just been Egged! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jejaatinOffline
Post subject: Sweltering heat  PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 08:40 AM

Swelterin heat says that you must roll a dice after a touchdown to see if your players get a heatstroke or something, but wouldn't you have to throw the sweltering heat roll after half-time also, or is it just as it is written, and players only collapse after a touchdown, but not after a half ends?

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 08:53 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
yep.

THey have plenty of time to recuperate during the half time tea break.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 10:14 AM

As a basic rule of thumb, I read any "after a touchdown" text in the LRB as "at the end of the drive." That's how it's all intended, for simplicity more than anything else. This may be an exception, but I doubt it.

-Chet

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 01:36 PM

Canada
So you mean we have to roll at the end of the half, Chet?

Fred

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 02:06 PM

SBG wrote:
So you mean we have to roll at the end of the half, Chet?

That's what I'd say. It's been added to the RR's FAQ, so it should be sorted out when we publish the results.

-Chet

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 04:32 PM

Quote:

Roll a D6 for each player on the field after a
touchdown is scored.

Does that mean that it only aplies to players that were actually on the pitch at the end of the drive? Or to all players that were on the pitch during that drive (even if you were knoked out or pushed out during that drive and missed the end)? Or maybe it aplies to all players, on or off the field?
It's not clear to me...
What do you guy's think?
tnx, Sanne

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 05:37 PM

I've always played that you don't roll for it at the end of a half. This makes more sense, because as was already said, the players had enough time to recuperate inside and get plenty of fresh water.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 05:40 PM

zeuzism wrote:
Does that mean that it only aplies to players that were actually on the pitch at the end of the drive? Or to all players that were on the pitch during that drive (even if you were knoked out or pushed out during that drive and missed the end)? Or maybe it aplies to all players, on or off the field?

Only players who were on the field at the ned of the drive. The others got plenty of water and recuperation time.

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 08:42 AM

I always wondered how a skeleton could be affeced by this event. Shocked

But maybe it only complicates the game! Very Happy

Same with lizzies in a blizzard....

Sputnik

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 09:15 AM

Canada
I agree with Zombie here: I think that at the end of the half, players get proper attention (some gatorcade, a few bananas...) so that the effect of swelthering heat is canceled. Anyway, we played like that in our league.

Fred

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 11:58 AM

SBG wrote:
I agree with Zombie here: I think that at the end of the half, players get proper attention (some gatorcade, a few bananas...) so that the effect of swelthering heat is canceled. Anyway, we played like that in our league.

Just curious: did you allow all KOd players to come back automatically?

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 01:45 PM

KOs are a different story entirely. A KO is much more dramatic than just being tired from the heat. Players will sometimes miss the entire game because of a KO suffered on the first turn.

Swealtering heat only affects the players who were on the pitch at the end of the drive (it says so in the rules crystal clear) and can only keep them out of the next drive at worst. They're garantied to come back the other drive if they're out in this one.

So a KO is hard to recuperate from, and gatorade won't do it. But swealtering heat just means you need one turn on the bench to gather your energy, that's all. The halftime break is more than enough in this case.

Besides, the rule has always been written that way, and nobody ever complained about it. Why? Because it makes sense!

jejaatinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 12:29 AM

"Because it makes sense"? Is something really making sense in BB rules? I don't think that the ordinary real world logic can be applied to a game like this. I mean take a look at the interception and pass sequence...

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 06:30 AM

Zombie69 wrote:
Besides, the rule has always been written that way, and nobody ever complained about it. Why? Because it makes sense!

No, the rule hasn't always been written "that way." The rule says you roll after a touchdown - which means that if the first half ends on a touchdown, you make the roll. That's obviously inconsistent. It's up to the league to decide which way to flip that inconsistency.

Your league has decided that halftime equates to recuperation, and that's cool. Others have certainly done the same. My league and others have sided with history, that's all. Almost all references to end-of-drive sequences in the vanilla 3E set declared "after a touchdown." GW issued repeated rulings that changed these passages to "at the end of a drive," which made the application universal.

So if "no one ever complained about it," it's not because the rule has always "made sense." It clearly doesn't as written:

* First half ends on a touchdown: Roll for sweltering heat.
* First half ends without a tocudhwon: Don't roll.

An official ruling will clarify the issue later this year, which will solve this discrepancy. And, as always - if your league doesn't like it, don't use it! Smile

-Chet

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 08:15 AM

Canada
      Tutenkharnage wrote:
      SBG wrote:

Just curious: did you allow all KOd players to come back automatically?

-Chet

No. But I think they are two different things: KO is a minor casualty, as swealthering heat is only a temporary condition. THis is how I see it, though I may be wrong.

Fred

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic