NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:22 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Leap over this you Wood Elf scum! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 08:25 AM

Undisclosed
We had a coin toss at the end of normal time, but only because we didn't have time to play any OT. Luckily, none of the play-off games needed to be decided by that method.

If we had the time, I'd keep playing 8 OT turns until someone won, though I like the Blitz idea Zombie mentioned.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 10:41 AM

England
We don't play OT for time reasons as well. So far our knock out stages have been draw free. Chances are we would opt for a replay rather than OT.

With regard to Zombie's blitz thing. I can't really see much advantage to receiving there. I personally would always opt to kick, especially if I had a player with the kick skill available. Balls in the opposition half and I get the first chance to grab it. I reckon my opponent would be on the back foot straight off, defending from the start. I doubt we will be adopting this in our league.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2003 - 08:16 PM

Don't forget, the "receiving" team gets to set up last. Whatever "offense" the kicking team can show, the "receiving" team can react to with its own set up. That's still a big advantage. The chance of you getting through his line, when he knows that the blitz is coming, are very slim. Other than getting the first hits in, there isn't that much of an advantage in kicking. Don't get your hopes up too much on getting your hands on the ball right away.

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2003 - 02:24 AM

Quote:
there isn't that much of an advantage

With my Skaven Gutter Runner turned one-turn-scorer and a player with the kick skill on field there is.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2003 - 02:45 AM

And how is he gonna get through when after seeing you put him on the line, the opponent sets up 3 ST4 guys in front of him? And one of them has tackle and the other one has diving tackle?

I'm telling you, it's a big advantage being able to set up last.

Also, remember that you ain't gonna score in one turn, because the ball hasn't even touched the ground yet by the time you're done playing your turn. Even if your gutter runner does go through my line, he'll be in pretty big trouble all alone out there!

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2003 - 07:12 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
It doesn't always give you the quick score oppurtunity but puts your team in a much better defensive situation. Getting the jump on the recieving team is a big advantage but not an overwhelming one. I still think even with these rules it is the recieving teams game to lose. With careful coaching and a lil luck you can't fail, but that goes for all things in bloodbowl I supose.

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2003 - 02:24 AM

Zombie69: touché! Wink

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2003 - 07:53 AM

England
I had not forgotten that the receiving team sets up last. How dumb do you think I am? Wink I play hitting teams mostly, so my opponent contesting the line usually plays to my strength. Provided that the ball does not end up deep in the oppositions half chances are that I will be sitting on it, or next to it, from turn one. If I were using an agility team then I would have speed and the ability to choose where to punch through to surround the ball.

The fact that I know it will be a blitz means that I can set up to attack anywhere along the line, meaning that my opponent must defend the entire line. So no setting up deep to get the ball because you will be vital players down on the line.

In my league whenever I got a blitz, provided the ball was in reach, I always ended up with the ball, or at least contesting for it. IMO the only advantage in receiving is if there is a touchback.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2003 - 10:45 AM

You still don't grasp the extent of the advantage the receiving team has. Not only do they set up last, but they know it will be a blitz, which is a huge advantage compared to a normal blitz. It means that they usually won't set up offensively at all. Rather, they'll look at your setup, figure out where it is you seem to want to attack, probably put only 3 guys on the line (unless you put only 3 yourself, in which case place 5 guys in front of them to overwhelm them), and generally have a defensive position.

The goal is to make sure that you don't get through the line. Once that is accomplished, they can start thinking about picking up the ball and setting up some kind of offense.

The only real advantage the kicking team gets from an ANNOUNCED blitz, is that it makes it so the receiving team takes longer to set up a decent attack. It doesn't in any way give the ball to the kicking team, unlike what an UNANNOUNCED blitz often does.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2003 - 07:28 AM

England
I totally grasp the extent of the advantage that you think the receiving team has. I just don't agree that it is.

As the kicker I know that I will go first. I also decide more or less where the ball goes.

I don't know where the opposition will set up, so I need to set up to attack anywhere along the front line. This means only 3 on the line of scrimmage, and everyone else 1 square back. Whole team nice and central. There is, after all, no need to defend the sidelines quite yet.

The receiver cannot commit himself to left, right, or centre because I am not committed either. If he concentrates his team in the centre, for example, and the ball ends up kicked to the left or right then it's mine for the taking. If he wants to put up 5 guys on the line of scrimmage then he has pretty much set up a flat line defence. Most strength teams can punch through that and most agility teams can dodge through.

Overall it is still going to be a big brawl for control of the football. IMO the important part is whose half the brawl is in. All things being equal, you are much more likely to win if the ball is closer to the endzone that you score in than the one your opponent scores in.

This is almost the same as an automatic perfect defence, except for which half the ball ends up in. So would you rather kick and blitz, or receive against a perfect defence?

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2003 - 08:26 AM
Da Warboss

England
      Mordredd wrote:
As the kicker I know that I will go first.

Er, the kicker goes second matey Wink So THAT'S how you beat me Razz

I agree with Zombie on this one. Even with PerfectD, the receiver dictates play and it's only bad luck or coaching that hands that over to the kicker.

Blitz is bad, no doubts about it, but a well planned attack should still not be utterly ruined by a blitz unless the receiving team has already taken a pasting. Just as much as you say "I have not committed myself", when you blitz you DO commit yourself and that can work to the receivers advantage.

NAF #60

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2003 - 09:14 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Pay attention Indy - they are talking about a free blitz at the start of OT.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2003 - 10:55 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I have another solution which is fun instead of the 'dice off' which the official rulebook proposed for overtime.

I think it should be faster than _yet_ another (the 4th) half.

So istead we run with the Sudden Death Throw Off.

http://www.geocities.com/blood-bowl/throw-in

I've had some fun with it such as a troll throwing to a goblin (goblin range reductions make trolls the more logical thrower) against a dark elf team and winning.

I reckon that the agility team should have the (slight) advantage after coping with 3 halves against the opposition!

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 02:24 AM

If you do that, it's not fair at all for 2 reasons.

1. One team got to receive in the first OT. You should give the other team the same chance in the second OT.

2. It's way too slanted towards agility teams.

Also, multiple OTs can be fun! They sure are nerve wrecking!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 02:36 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
This is just too favourable to AG teams. Reasonable HE teams wont even break sweat.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic