NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 03:30 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Amazon team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 05:37 AM

Sweden
Khaine - we tried doing MVP rules based on actions (any player who earned SPP could get it).

It failed horribly.

Your system is nice, but way too much in the way of extra bookkeeping...and you KNOW it'll get mixed up with SPPs.

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 07:39 AM

England
Plus there is no way that you can account for players non SPP generating, but game winning, performances. I have had a Zombie man mark a Rat Ogre for an entire game whilst my cage rumbled through the rest of the team. He even KOd it a few time. It was by far the greatest individual performance of the game but would have been totally overlooked by your SPP based system.

Similarly there are those vital TD stopping blitzs that don't result in casualties and other heroic plays for which you get no SPPs. The system cannot be subjective, or you could end up with long arguments over whether that player really was the most valuable. Either due to genuine disagreement or down to attempted abuse by either coach.

Random is non-subjective and has the least scope for abuse. For that reason alone it is the best choice.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 08:05 AM

Undisclosed
Have to agree with Mordred there. Other in the PBeMBBL we started a 4 game knockout tourney, and one of the rules was that the losing coach would assign a Duff man-of-the-match award to a player on the winning side (in addition to the MVP).

In game 2, one of my catchers scored 2 TD, made a pass, and harassed the oppo thrower into making a fumble. My opposistion gave him the Duff Award. Under your scheme, this would have earnt him 8 pMVP points, and given him the MVP.
In game 1, he didn't score, but did KO a ball carrier who was about to score (on a 2d they choose block), then later in the game he dodged away from a player, went back into his TZ to pick up the ball, dodged out again, threw a long pass to the other catcher who walked in unopposed for the winning TD. Again, my opponent gave him the Duff, but under the points you listed the catcher who did next to nothing got 4 points, will the hard working fella got only 2.

So, as Mordred said, it's not subjective enough. Also, one of the agruements used against the EXP rules was that it was extra bookkeeping (and upto 16 extra dice rolls), so imagine what those people would say to having to keep seperate totals for SPP's and MVP points.

Nice idea though.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic