NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 01:42 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Any day now. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fnord23Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2003 - 09:27 PM

I'll check it, but I think that was if he was on his way to the reserves box if
he could not get to a thrall.

sangraal

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2003 - 10:43 PM

Undisclosed
Nope, not cheating at all.

A correct move (and well coached). Just remember that the TD is not scored until after the thrall has been injured though.

@ Zombie - Some people may take offence at being told "You cheated", when at best they're correct, and at worst, misinterepted the rules. not everyone here knows your style of posting, so let's be polite? Thanks. Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2003 - 11:59 PM

Me, polite? You should know better than to ask that of me!

RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:39 AM

Xtreme wrote:
...if you have access to The Lord....

Taken out of context, this can be kind of fun Laughing

On topic however, removing Count Luthor might upset Undead (and Human) coaches who tend to use him as a starplayer (not me). Other than that I see no problems, so a better solution might be to say that no Vampire Lord would want to see another Vampire Lord in his team and simply to ban Luthor from Vampire teams. This would really be appropriate fluff-wise and having two Luthors on one team would also be prevented...

R

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 03:19 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Zombie69 wrote:
You cheated. The vampire can't at any point move through the end zone while going after the thrall. At least that's what i remember reading at blood-bowl.net.

I don't think that's quite right. If you fail OFAB and enter the endzone with the ball no TD is scored - unless you can feed. So having a thrall next to the endzone is very sensible.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 05:16 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Doubleskulls wrote:
      Zombie69 wrote:
You cheated. The vampire can't at any point move through the end zone while going after the thrall. At least that's what i remember reading at blood-bowl.net.

I don't think that's quite right. If you fail OFAB and enter the endzone with the ball no TD is scored - unless you can feed. So having a thrall next to the endzone is very sensible.

Yup with the current rules that just good vampire coaching.

Galak

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 06:36 AM

Quote:

New Racial Characteristic and Rules:
OFAB:
A player with this characteristic must occasionally feed on the blood of the living. At the start of any action, roll a D6. On a 2+ the player may carry out the action as normal. On a '1', however, the player is overcome with a desire for blood. The player's team loses the declared action for that turn and the player must instead make a Move Action. If the player ends his action standing adjacent to a Thrall from his own team, immediately roll for unmodified injury on that Thrall (an injury to the Thrall is not a turnover). If the player does not end his action next to a Thrall from his own team, then he runs into Reserves to find a pretty maiden groupie to quench his thirst. Place him in the reserves box, this is a turnover.

this quote was taken from blood-bowl.net, I assume these are the correct rules. According to these rules in combination with lrb, you need not put a thrall in the end zone. Because lrb:
      Quote:

A team scores a touchdown when one of their players
ends an action standing in the opposing team???s End
Zone while holding the football. As soon as this
happens, play stops

A vampire can even ignore the fact that he rolled a one and run to the end zone, because play stops immediately. He doesnt need to suck a thrall even if he ended his move next to a thrall. It doesn't matter play is stopped and even if he was send to the reserves it doesn't matter, you can deploy your reserves for the next kick off as normal.
I know a few lines down lrb say's:
      Quote:

Note, however, that in order to score a
touchdown the player must end his action standing in
the End Zone; if the player failed to make a Dodge roll,
for example, and thus fell over in the End Zone then he
would not score a touchdown.

this note is not about ending his action (you couldn't finish a Blitz move either) it's about standing with the ball as opposed to being on the floor on top of the ball.

So concluding:
a. why do you need a thrall?
b. why do you have to suck the thrall first?

The rules state otherwise, IMO.

Grr, Sanne

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 06:55 AM

IIRC this was dicussed on TBB and the general consensus was that it was fine.

As the Vamp ends his move in the endzone (and bites the thrall thus staying on the pitch) it is a TD, there's nothing in OFAB that says he can't move into the endzone.

Of course if the thrall is not there he leaves the pitch and does not end his move in the end zone so there's no TD.

Boom! He's on his back!

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 07:02 AM

Yuo guys are right (except for zeuzism). I checked blood-bowl.net, and the TD is valid if you can feed on a thrall. Otherwise though, the action is not ended and there is definitely no TD.

Sorry for the confusion.

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 08:21 AM

Based on the rules I quoted, I don't understand your comment:
You do not need to end your turn in the End Zone because if you are standing or moving into (not falling into) the End Zone your play end automatically and as soon as you do it.
      Quote:

Of course if the thrall is not there he leaves the pitch and does not end his move in the end zone so there's no TD

If the vamp is holding the ball and coincidently passes through the End Zone while looking for a nice bite it is still a TD, lrb is quite clear about that.

Or are there other rules applicable then the ones I quoted above?

Sorry for bugging Wink

Sanne

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 08:38 AM

Your second quote says it all. The action hasn't ended, therefore the TD doesn't count.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 09:39 AM

England
It does not appear to be totally obvious.

The Vampire is not removed from play until the end of his compulsory move action. If he is standing, with the ball in hand, in the end zone then he both scores and is removed from play.

The LRB also states that any player that picks up the ball in the endzone scores immediately. So if the Vampire goes into the endzone and picks up the ball while making the compulsory move he scores before his action is ended.

However this seems wrong, and rather 'rules lawyerish'. Under this interpretation of the exact wording a player with frenzy could block his way into, and then out of, the endzone and fail to score. Shocked Well, he didn't end his action in the endzone, did he Rolling Eyes .

phinalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 09:54 AM

i'll just put my Reserve box next to my end zone so i'll tell my opponent that he runs with the ball to the reserve box and in turn makes a touchdown automatically Rolling Eyes

i don't recall seeing anywhere that your vampire drops the ball if he fails to suck a thrall. he is just placed in the reserve box. so what do you do ... just scatter the ball? it should be a little clearer or perhaps i'm just missing something that states a turnover always means the ball scatters or shoot i donno i should look over the rule book again.

anyway i played a game yesterday with a starting vamp team 8 thralls 3 vamps and boy they suck with the lack of skills. i did get 2 touchdowns all of them were with vampires and one was because he went into the endzone after rolling a 1 for OFAB. my opponent said it was ok after he read the rules. but i think perhaps if they want OFAB to show that the vampire really needs blood then perhaps he must move towards a thrall. this might make it a little harder to ignore it.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 10:15 AM

England
If I recall correctly the vampire drops the ball in the square he ends his move action in, if he fails to stop next to a Thrall.

I do not think it necessary to force the Vampire to move toward a Thrall. If they ignore it it is a turnover, if they don't a Thrall gets it. That is already a fairly high level of compulsion.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 10:44 AM

As I see it:

* Zombie's right: much better to ditch the Lord as a concept and simply run with Luthor. Use your imagination and call it "bribing the ref to let your VLord take the pitch."

* The entire "Is It A TD?" question leads me to believe that the current on-field OFAB is simply poorly worded. "Oh, look, I got out of my bad roll by scoring a TD!" The bad roll ought to penalize the rolling player, not give him a free pass just because he's holding the ball within scoring distance of the end zone. What kind of penalty is that?

-Chet

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic