NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LordCruSelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2003 - 06:08 PM

Ok I can understand that it was a group of coachs who asked for this change but from the sites ive visited it seems that alot of coachs dont like the change, Also I know that halflings are supposed to be a bit naff but why does that make it right to make them even worse?

I agree halflings and gobbos are fun teams first and winning teams almost never but surely removing one of the few players they have will just make all halfling and gobbo teams ideantical and thus boring (and remove variaty). If your playing players who keep playing cheese teams you penalise them not everyone that plays that team.

I

Reply with quote Back to top
coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 04:13 AM

Caveat: This is not personal, far from it. I'd just like to see an end to this interminable thread with one straight, official answer.
______

Right guys, i'm going to pursue this one last time and see if anyone can give a straight answer:

I'd like to know the thinking behind the removal of Ogres from the Orc team.

Pretty straight forward question as i'm assuming the removal was proposed to the BBRC by one of it's members, discussed, and then executed. The initial proposal would certainly make interesting reading, as would the finished statement of intention. So, the BBRC's statement of intention would make a good answer, rather than anything else Smile

Why am I still confused, well there's not been a straight answer posted yet. Chet said that it was:

"Character and balance"

Which is fine standpoint, but at what point is it unbalanced?

"If the differences are really that small, Andy, then you (as an Orc coach) have no real gripe with the balance; you're left with the character issue."

I'll assume that was 'Orc Coaches' as I don't play Orcs. I don't have much of a problem playing against them and have always seen them and the Humans as the premier, tough, starting teams. No gripe with the balance, well that's true too, so where then does the 'removal for balance sakes' reason come in? Enquiring minds need to know...

Character then?

"That can be argued both ways, but Orcs are definitely closer to Trolls than they are to Ogres."

Er, where? Why? In the Handbook it states that they have an affinity to strength and brute force (see my quote earlier this thread). This is stated before the Trolls & Goblins. Character? Remove the Goblins...

Moving on to Zombie's post now...

"One, the goblin and halfling teams are supposed to suck"

Amen to that. Comedy over competitiveness.

"... we never saw any trolls or treemen in any team the way it was before. Now we'll see them. This added variety (and added flavor that comes with it) is why they removed the ogres. That's always been very clear."

(1) Reduce the Big Guys to ONE on the Goblin/Halfling teams, but keep the TWO option for Trolls/Treemen. This gives coaches the option to play in character and get the advantage Smile To be honest though I agree with the total removal of Ogres from these two teams as they weren't there in the first place!

(2) We'll see variety by REMOVING players? Oh dear. And - as can be seen by this thread (and Mestari's reply above), this have never been 'very clear'; particularly for those coaches (i.e. the majority) who aren't online, or don't subscribe to this list!

"Three, we (the coaches) are the ones who asked for this change!"

I'll refer back to my point above. I'm online now and then and I haven't seen a general poll on this topic. Ever.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 05:01 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

coachblacknife wrote:

I'll refer back to my point above. I'm online now and then and I haven't seen a general poll on this topic. Ever.

When TBB comes back up Andy ... I'll link in the poll and/or discussion threads. I know there was a larger thread on TBB on this topic for a while.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 05:23 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

LordCruSel wrote:
Also I know that halflings are supposed to be a bit naff but why does that make it right to make them even worse?

Experimental rules for moving Take Root onpitch ... Andy has suggested that we might see an onpitch Take Root varient when the playtest vault goes live. Which would make the Halflings reasonablely playable again.
      Quote:
Before taking any action with a player with this characteristic, roll a D6. On a 2+, he is fine and may continue his action as normal. On a 1, he loses track of the game and takes root. For the rest of the drive, he is considered to have an MA of 0 and cannot Go For It. He will still be able to block adjacent opponents without follow-up.
If it version goes in the playtest vault, something along these lines is being considered.

Combine onpitch Take Root with the new Master Chef and Fling become playable again. My Halfling team is currently retired because I agree that Flings are unplayable even for fun with the current ruleset (which is the worst Flings have ever had it since 3rd). I look forward to onpitch Take Root so I can break them out again.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2003 - 10:26 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      coachblacknife wrote:

When TBB comes back up Andy ... I'll link in the poll and/or discussion threads. I know there was a larger thread on TBB on this topic for a while.

Galak

Found it ... poll was late April 2003:

http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5910

But besides the poll ... there was a lot of other discussion on this topic in order from newest to oldest:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9191
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8191
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8176
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8182
1st post by Thrads tells you it was common knowledge on TBB: http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6061
Good thread: http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6000

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:24 AM

England
The poll was hopeless. All it achieved was some vague consensus that Ogres should be removed from some teams, but not specifically which ones. I don't have the time to read through all the posts to find out if the possibility of limiting Ogres to 1 per stunty team was discussed. In any case none of this discussion made it over here.

coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for that Galak. I totally appreciate the effort.

LordCruSelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 06:03 PM

Ok having seen the poll I have to agree that alot of coachs wanted the change cheers for putting the link up. I personaly dont like the changes but I see that it was a majority vote. Lets just hope that changes to the take root skill come in next time.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 16, 2003 - 09:31 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
While all of these discusions were going on on TBB very few Orc coaches spoke up. There were far more Dwarf coaches trying to save the Ogres for them. But even they were grossly outnumbered. But then once the change happens every Orc coach acts like they were blindsided by it. Rolling Eyes

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 09:27 AM

England
I was damnit Evil or Very Mad . However I don't even read TBB yet alone post on it so I guess there's no real surprises there then Rolling Eyes .

westonwyseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 11:17 AM

Zombie wrote:
Three, we (the coaches) are the ones who asked for this change!

None of the coaches I play with asked for it. They are mostly pretty upset about it, actually. I know I certainly never asked for it. So just because some coaches -- far, far from all coaches -- asked for something doesn't mean that the idea doesn't have opposition (as this thread obviously demonstrates). I mean, seriously, what were we going to to do? Complain to the BBRC that we like a rule? That's kind of silly, isn't it?

And if you want to get treemen on halfling teams (which, BTW, should not be designed to suck, especially if you plan on actually selling the minis) and trolls on gobbo teams, then it's a lot easier to make a limit of one ogre on those teams than it is to cut them completely and piss off a great many players who absolutely did not want them removed.

That's what's called a compromise. They work wonders sometimes.

"Us Dwarves may be short, but I prefer to think of myself as 'in weapons range of your groin.'"

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 12:17 PM

westonwyse wrote:
I mean, seriously, what were we going to to do? Complain to the BBRC that we like a rule? That's kind of silly, isn't it?

The rule change was announced almost a year ago. That's when you should have complained if you didn't like it. Now it's too late and complaining now won't achieve anything.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 03:37 PM

Random thoughts:

1. The Halfling team shouldn't be designed to totally suck, assuming we define "totally suck" as "have zero chance of being fun, challenging, and remotely competitive." The Halfling team shouldn't be designed on a level with the "real" teams, however.

2. Many coaches like the Orc teams losing Ogres; many don't. That's all well and good. The BBRC didn't poll anyone on this issue; it was raised to us, we discussed it, and we took a vote. If you don't like the decision...house-rule it!

3. That said, Zombie's assertion that "complaining now won't achieve anything" isn't true. That statement assumes that the BBRC would never overturn a previously published rule. That's not the case.

-Chet

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 05:25 PM
Former President

England
      Tutenkharnage wrote:
That statement assumes that the BBRC would never overturn a previously published rule. That's not the case.

-Chet

Bring Back OSPA!!! Razz

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 05:36 PM

OSPA wasn't made by the BBRC.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic