NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 02:47 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nuffle hates you. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KLKOffline
Post subject: stop fast players  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2003 - 12:24 AM

Colombia
the wood elf, and the skaven teams of the CBBL have players who can score in one turn. How could I stop them? did you have a similar problem in your leagues? If yes, what did you do?

I do the same question in the TBBL site, because I need advice.

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2003 - 02:02 AM

All you need to do is score more TDs then they do to win the game.

Score in 8 turns each half. In one half, they'll receive in turn one and will try to score in one turn. Let them. In the other half, they'll receive on the last turn and will only have one turn to equalize. Put three players on LoS, and put all your remaining players 2 squares from your end zone, one player every second square (yes, this will mean that two of your players will be touching the sidelines). Try to maximize your players with tackle and/or diving tackle so that hopefully every empty square will have at least one of them guarding it.

Either they'll fail to score in one turn against such a defense, in which case you win 2-1. Or they'll succeed and send the game into OT, where you have the best chance of winning because of all the damage that you've hopefully been able to cause to their team during the 16 turns that you controlled the ball.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 06:49 AM

If you know they're trying to score in one turn, you can defend against it with a setup like the one Zombie suggested. (It's the one I use in these situations.) If you're uncertain, just play normal defense. If your opponent scores quickly, he's targetted no more than 3-4 of your players. Turn around and hit him hard when he sets up on defense!

-Chet

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 07:07 AM
Da Warboss

England
make all 1TD scorers your primary target too - if they go down, foul the crap out of them.

NAF #60

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 08:03 AM

England
The Skaven/WElf players don't always make it easy to target their valuable one turners, hiding them in reserves on defence. It is certainly what every team with a one turn capability that I have played has done.

There are ways of damaging his chances of scoring in one turn without hitting that fast player directly though. Remember that he has to get the ball to him to score.

So, target his throwers. Most Skaven/WElf teams develop good ones as a matter of course, but often only have one. Force your opponent to field him, and then kill the git. Twisted Evil He will then have to use players that have not been developed for the near certain pass action.

Secondly, get a player with kick and boot that ball as far up field as you dare. If you are lucky it will go into the end zone on the opposite side of the field to the one turner for that maximum range pass. (But at all costs avoid a touchback). If you've managed to get rid of his thrower he'll probably fail the pass, and you won't even have to worry about the go for its.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 08:15 AM
Da Warboss

England
      Mordredd wrote:

So, target his throwers. Most Skaven/WElf teams develop good ones as a matter of course, but often only have one. Force your opponent to field him, and then kill the git. Twisted Evil He will then have to use players that have not been developed for the near certain pass action.

Generally though, even with the deep backfield punt, he can get the ball to the 1-turner with a pass and a handoff, all on 2+. Elf teams rarely need dedicated throwers and it's only rarely that I've seen them used in tourneys - AG4 across the board is pretty forgiving.

A combination of the tactics Zombie describes and then kicking the hell out of him has always been sufficient for leagues I've been in - they rarely last more than a game or two against teams dedicated to killing him, and generally the owning team relied so much on them they are stuck without him.

NAF #60

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 10:20 AM

England
That was in addition to the tactics Zombie mentioned, and for when you can't directly attack the one turn scorer because he's not been put on the pitch. Rolling Eyes

It's all about making it as hard as possible. Why stop at hoping the dodges/go for its will fail when you can also make it more likely that the pick up/pass/hand off will fail first. Yes, Elves, AG 4, passing linesmen Rolling Eyes but Skaven only have AG 4 on Gutter Runners. If all they've got left to fetch the ball is linemen and Storm Vermin they're in trouble.

The players in your leagues must be hopelessly inept and tactically one dimensional. The ones I have come across always protected the speedster (everyone wanted to kill them, all failed totally, for dozens of games), and always developed other methods of scoring.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 02:58 PM

Undisclosed
If they play the OTS only on offence, and stick him in reserve on defence, kill the rest of the team Twisted Evil . Nothing like putting an WE team down to 4 players to make a WE start deciding to field him more often Twisted Evil

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

AmokOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 25, 2003 - 04:43 PM

Netherlands
A way way to stop 1 turn TD players is

1 -if you get to choose the weather, choose BLIZZARD it always pisses me of when it happens to me, GFI fails on a 1 and a 2 and only quick- and shortpasses

2 -Put 3 of your Strongest players on the Line of Scrimage, make 4 lines of 2 players and place them so that they create an optimum of tackle zones, It wil look like this

-line of scrimmage-
-+--+--+++--+--+-
-+--+---------+--+-

- is one square
+ is one player

It's not a guarranteed succes but sure makes it a lot harder for your opponent.

3- Throw perfect defense or blitz for the kick-off table

That's all I'm gonna tell ya (you know, I Play Skaven to so I'm not giving away all my secrets Mr. Green)

I hope it's any good for you.

SteelThunderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 03, 2004 - 09:05 AM

United States of America
Idea Hello there all!

We've faces some of those teams in our league as well. High elves and skaven mostly. Everyone feared the skaven team except me. In the beginning, yeah, they scored quite often, untill I tried some tricks to slow them down.

I play a dwarf team, and the tactics mentioned before, about playing your players deep and spreading out tackle-zones is helpfull. Our skaven player tends to run a "gutter" offense, sending players down in a line protecting his runners with the ball. If you can spread out tackle-zones...players with guard will help, then you can try and break through his line.

If you can catch them just right, I've sent his rat ogre or other players out of bounds with a troll-slayer (or any player with frenzy & dauntless) on two push-backs.

If those options aren't available to you, see if your league allows secret weapons. In our league...bombs were made available to the dwarfs..and boy did that mess up their plans. Nothing is funnier than seeing a crowd of skaven get blown away and a dwarf blitzer running in to pick up the pieces.

If you don't have those options available to you, then just play them deep and start taking players out one by one. By the second half, it may be easier to stop them when they can only field six players.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic