NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 12:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Chainsaws for everyone! Take action NOW! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pfootiOffline
Post subject: Starting lineup for new Pro Elves  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2003 - 03:44 PM

Now that the pro elves have NoS catchers instead of Leaping catchers, does that alter anybody's opinion about a starting lineup for a league?

The 60k linemen mean you can get 11 linemen, 1 'poth, 9 FF, 4 RR for 1,000,000. Each reroll you sacrifice will turn either one lineman into a blitzer or two linemen into a passer and a catcher.

I was thinking of going with three rerolls and a blitzer, or maybe two rerolls and one of each position player. Then again, there are a lot of people who advocate going for just linemen in the starting elf roster.

Any opinions out there?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2003 - 03:51 PM

Maybe OK on a Wood Elf team because of the speed (although I would rather start with one Wardancer as well) but with this team only averaging MA6 I would be looking for at least one player to breakout from the pack if needed.

My choices would be:

11 Linemen
1 Blitzer
3 RR
8 FF

or like you suggest drop a lineman for apoth and +1 FF

or:

10 Linemen
1 Catcher
1 Thrower
3 RR
8 FF

If yor're prepared to drop to two re-rolls you can get:

7 Linemen
1 Catcher
1 Thrower
2 Blitzers
2 RR
9 FF

Boom! He's on his back!

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2003 - 04:01 PM

So you would rather start with 12 players and no apothecary? That might be a better long-term strategy. I've been burned, though, with a game 1 death that just hurt me in the long run.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 03, 2003 - 04:31 PM

Long term is always my primary goal, i.e. getting to a full team in as few games as possible. I always start all my teams with 11 players, no apoth, 8 or 9 FF, and as many rerolls as possible without having more linemen than i'll need in a complete team.

With this team, this would mean going for :

8 line-elves
2 throwers
1 catcher
8 FF
4 RR

It's not necessary to start with a blitzer since it's easy to have anyone score 2 TDs in the first game, and then you'll have a player with block for your second game who can serve as a blitzer until you buy one.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 02:40 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I quite like:

2 Blitzers
9 Line Elves
3 TRR
9 FF (or 8FF & take a thrower instead).

Unlike Zombie I believe its the blitzers that really make this team work - at least initially. Give them both dodge and you've got such annoying players that opponents either devote too many resources to neutralising them or give you gaps to run through and pester the ball carrier. That blodge/sidestep combo really works well.

For longer term play catchers can be introduced later because its really easy to give them SPPs so they can catch up quickly. By then your line elves have skilled up so everyone else has block and/or dodge.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 07:03 AM

I like DS's roster, only I'd take the Thrower and the 8 FF. But all the rosters posted so far are quite good. (I wouldn't take 2 Throwers and 1 Catcher like Zombie would, but I understand where he's coming from.)

Just go with whatever suits your style. If you want to develop a "lunch bucket crew," go with all Linemen. Heck, load up on Catchers and Throwers if you want to play a passing game right out of the box. Whatever floats your boat, really. That might not be the key to winning with your team, but it's definitely the key to enjoying it.

-Chet

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will end up going with two blitzers and a thrower, and no 'poth. I'll even post occasional game reports from my league.

pfootiOffline
Post subject: Match Report  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 09:24 PM

I went with the lineup Chet recommended. Block early on seems like an edge, and I can pick up catchers and level them quickly.

My first match with this team was against a rookie goblin team. I figured, lucky me, right? Well, maybe.

The Blitzers were definitely useful, since all those dodgy gobbos didn't have Block, so I could still knock them over. Sidestep made them even more useful/annoying.

That's the good news. Bad news is, first block of the match, a lineelf got a Broken Neck (64) SI. Dangitall, I knew I needed that 'poth.

On the other hand, I used all three rerolls each half. I didn't need four in the first half, but did in the second (at that point I was down 2 or 3 players, so had more chancy actions). So it seems like 3 rerolls is about right. I don't forsee buying any more until late in their lifetime when I'm not saving up for more positional players, and at AV7, that day may never come.

So overall, very strong starting lineup. I think this team will be very competetive in tournament play, where the AV7 is less of a long-term hindrance to development (no MNG/Death, right?)

These guys play really well. Smooth. I played an adjusted 3-4-4 on defense (with a tight center 3 to prevent reblocking), and scored with pass/handoff plays (where I used almost all of my rerolls.

I can't wait to get some Catchers and give them Leap. That will be awesome.

Zombie
Post subject: Re: Match Report  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 09:41 PM

pfooti wrote:
Bad news is, first block of the match, a lineelf got a Broken Neck (64) SI. Dangitall, I knew I needed that 'poth.

Not at all. It's way better to have an AG3 elf (perfect for putting on the LoS) than to start with one less reroll and have to buy it at 100k later on.

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2003 - 01:48 PM

Okay, next question is for advancing the team. My original plan for the first three advances (with doubles in parentheses):

Blitzer: Dodge, Strip Ball, Tackle (Mighty Blow)
Passer: Accurate, Safe Throw, Sure Hands (Strong Arm)
Catcher: Leap, Dodge, Pass Block (Dump Off, Jump Up)
Line: Block, Dodge, Diving Tackle (Guard)

Right now, I've got one advance for a lineman, but after the next game or two I'll have a couple more (I've got a bunch of 3+ SPP players).

I was thinking about it, and it seems like putting Diving Tackle on all my linemen first, before block, might be an interesting move. What do y'all think about getting Diving Tackle before anything else? In a pretty short amount of time, I'd have a lot of diving tackle out there, which could really deform my opponent's strategies, but then again, I'd get knocked over a lot.

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2003 - 03:25 PM

Diving Tackle: In small amounts i don't think this would be effective, but across a large amount of your team this could really be useful in hampering your opponents mobility.

Think about all those tackle zone corners you cut across to get the extra movement. One of my friends recently played a FUMBBL gobbo team with this and it was surprisingly effective.

Don't know how it would pan out for elves, Block may still be a better choice, but it would certainly be interesting. Maybe you could try for three Blodgers for the LOS and DT for the rest.

Your skill choice looks sound to me but I would consider Kick on one of the linemen.

Boom! He's on his back!

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2003 - 03:43 PM

pfooti wrote:
Catcher: Leap, Dodge, Pass Block (Dump Off, Jump Up)

Your catchers need blodge before anything else.

As for diving tackle, who runs away from AV7 elves instead of hitting them? This would only come in handy against other elves.

Better to just give it to your blitzers who, with blodge and side step, can really put it to use. To top it off, give them shadowing as a third skill. People will hate them.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2003 - 02:41 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'd give the blitzers Guard as a double Skill. Block, Dodge, Side Step & Guard will really annoy your opponents.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2004 - 02:27 AM

I decided to go and try to elves in a league I just joined. Thought I'd try out the nefarious all-lineman team:
11 line-elves 660K
4 Rerolls 200K
1 apoth
9 fan factor

It definitely is not the best choice, but I thought I'd try it out. Just to confuse my opponents by not having any position players at first. The idea is to develop a set of experienced linemen and slowly complement that lineup by position players.

We'll see what happens. The first game's today... but it's against wood elves which made me resent my decision of buying the apoth. A positional player would've been better instead, but as the league contains many esperienced teams, I thought to rather be safe than sorry and take the apoth.

Member #52

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Undisclosed
The apoths probably not a bad idea. You know full well the first time you take a hit from a non-bashy side, you'll suffer a SI or death Wink Laughing

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Last edited by Darkson on Jan 12, 2004 - 09:49 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic