NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 12:05 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Rat knows Borak. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2004 - 04:47 AM

Well, the four rerolls definitely were a worthwhile investment. Faced a TR126 wood elf team. Although the TR was definitely not a good representation of the teams ability as he had two MNG's.

I won 3-1 and did manage to gather SPP's pretty well - 8/11 players now have points, although only one (the MVP player) gained a skill (dodge). Got 80K of money, thought I'd save it and buy a blitzer after the next game. Killed his wardancer... teaches him to keep that important players from standing next to the sideline Wink Razz

In the next game the plan is to get another TD for those who already scored one in this game, and get at least a completion for every lineman in order to ensure a useful MVP. In addition to winning the game, of course Smile

In retrospect, taking the blitzer over the apothecary would've been a good idea. But not getting injuries definitely wasn't guaranteed, so I suppose it was an ok decision to take the apoth.

Member #52

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2004 - 07:28 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
My personal opinion is that the 11 line elf roster is too weak to compete - and you'll end up in a negative cycle. A team giving up 2 handicap rolls when missing 2 players isn't going to be the hardest to beat - especially as you killed his best player.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2004 - 09:31 AM

I agree with Doubleskulls to an extent. I think you can compete with this roster for a few games, but your position players are very expensive. You'll be waiting a long time to complete your lineup, and you might find yourself in trouble long before that happens.

-Chet

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2004 - 03:12 PM

Additionally, unless you think you're going to get a player killed in the first match, I'd go with no 'poth. A reroll and 'poth are equal in cost at team start, but with winnings, that reroll is going to cost 50k more. So only if not having a 'poth costs you 50k is it worth taking the 'poth over a reroll. And if 4 rr is good for you, turn that 'poth into a blitzer.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2004 - 10:25 PM

Well, I wouldn't go as far with the claims about being uncompetitive. Although I admit that this was not the most geared starting lineup, I would say that four rerolls go a long way to prevent problems - Filling the lineup may take time, but you couldn't take that many position players anyhow, especially if you wanted any rerolls.

And having usually started elf teams with about 10 linemen, and having been quite succesfull, I must say that if one manages to avoid the injury cycle, the negative cycle will not happen. With more rerolls and far better advanced linemen than the average elf team, the team will have good chances after the lineup is somewhat filled.

With average luck with the winnings, I should have 2 blitzers or a blitzer and a catcher after game 3, and most certainly 1 blitzer after the next game. And if I manage to give out SPP's well in the next game, there should be quite a few experienced linemen.

Member #52

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2004 - 03:09 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Mestari wrote:
Filling the lineup may take time, but you couldn't take that many position players anyhow, especially if you wanted any rerolls.

My current team on ECBBL started with 2 Blitzers, 1 Catcher, 1 Thrower, 7 Line, 2 TRR, 9FF. After 14 games I've got 4 TRR and have just bought my 15th player - the 3rd catcher.

I probably could have been a lot worse off (iirc only a couple of deaths and no stat decreases).

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2004 - 10:43 AM

Mestari wrote:
With average luck with the winnings, I should have 2 blitzers or a blitzer and a catcher after game 3, and most certainly 1 blitzer after the next game. And if I manage to give out SPP's well in the next game, there should be quite a few experienced linemen.

This is true enough. I started my Elf team with two blitzers and a thrower, and managed to get a 'poth and two catchers by game 4. In my league, the rookie teams get a 4 game "preseason" where the wins don't count in order to bulk up a little before entering the regular season (against a mix of rookie and vet teams), so I go into the regular season with a 126 TR, a thrower, two blitzers, two catchers, six linemen, three rerolls, a 'poth and 11 FF. Only bummer is my last match of the preseason was against khemri, so I have 11 instead of 13 players on my roster. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 14, 2004 - 12:36 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
My current team on ECBBL started with 2 Blitzers, 1 Catcher, 1 Thrower, 7 Line, 2 TRR, 9FF. After 14 games I've got 4 TRR and have just bought my 15th player - the 3rd catcher.

I probably could have been a lot worse off (iirc only a couple of deaths and no stat decreases).

My idea about starting with only a low amount of position players is based on the thinking that at AG4 the linemen should be capable of pretty much everything required. Additionally, skills opposed to TR's says that if you take position players, the linemen have a lot less potential due to the smaller amount of TRR's. Also, when you get position players, the linemen should already have enough skills that you don't have to rely on the position players to do things for you.

But regardless - the fact remains that with their AG, elf teams are very versatile and forgiving. If you manage to avoid injuries, any setup will do.

Member #52

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic