NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Concussion! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Passing Sequence Question...
YES
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
NO
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 31

MasterOfChaosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 02:11 AM

I say it IS broken.

It's more intense to roll your pass and see it as accurate then have it whipped away at the last minute by an un noticed player on the field. Happened to me in the weekend, I rolled a six to complete long pass after an impossible set of manouvres and his intercept roll seemed to go inslow motion.

It won me the game and broke every statistic principle int he book.

Reply with quote Back to top
MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Have you already stopped beating your wife?

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 10:55 AM

Umm, first of all, the YES/NO logic reverses itself in your poll question and the description. Specifically you ask
      Quote:
do you agree with the way the throw sequence currently is

and list the LRB pass sequence.

But later you say:
      Quote:
YES
Although the throw sequence is a game mechanic, it is broken and should be changed as a whoel instead of written off as simply 'house rule it'. By answering yes I admit that the sequence is a game mechanic but does need to be changed instead of house ruled.

Which is sdrawkcaB. Get it straight.

Furthermore, I vote for the excluded middle. The pass sequence is fine as is. It isn't broken, and houseruling it is foolish.

Why? Chet has already addressed this. If you want to change that one bit, you're going the slide down a slippery slope to rewriting passing in general. Why is a bomb more likely to fumble than a quick pass (not counting enemy TZs which make sense)? Shouldn't you wait to determine intercept validity until after you've determined the actual target of an inaccurate pass (it might not pass overhead anymore)? Could the original target now intercept it if it is overthrown? How does that interact with Pass Block? Can you decline to pass block move and wait until you see where the ball goes?

So chill out. Leave it alone. Deal with the real issues, like how WA sucks now, or how there are 4 elf teams and only 1.5 dwarf ones, and 1 skaven. Or how the fumble rules are written to discourage Long Bombs for gameplay reasons, and not fluffy/realism ones.

So I too, abstain. The current pass sequence is not broken. Broken is four position players that start with catch and nerves of steel.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 02:23 PM

Undisclosed
      Tutenkharnage wrote:
Am I the only one who understood this to be a joke? (A slightly nasty joke, but a joke nonetheless.)

Personally, after playing a season or so with an AG 2 Fimir team, I think everyone's had it wrong so far.

Passing should always end in an interception for my team unless I decide you've fumbled!

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 09:25 AM

Canada
Hmmmm... Actually, I didn't get the joke until I saw Chet's comments. Sorry ! But the point is, although I understand game mechanic and all, I think you should:
a) roll for pass;
b) if no fumble, roll for interception;
c) roll for catch.

It's just logic to me: how can you try to catch a ball that isn't in mid-air yet?

Just my 1.5 US cents, or 2 CAN...

Fred

BloodBowlCommishOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 12:10 PM

i love it when people still see it is a joke, but continue on. I am not sayign that they are wrong to voice their opions. Mine is jsut liek what you said SBG....pass...intercept...catch...but after 10+ years of GW games, logic never plays a role when you open up the game mechanics. Ok, sure, it looks liek it, but unless we all dawn our armor and get out on the pitch it will simply be a game.

House Rules here I come!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2004 - 05:14 PM

I have a suggestion, which is:

- Pass and scatter roll(s) should be made BEFORE the intercept attempt. Measure from the passer's square to the landing square.

I feel this would be more realistic, as well as more fun. At the moment it's easy to cover a throw from a low AG player. In a situation where anything but a 6 is a fumble or a scatter, shouldn't the intercept be quite hard to read?

Well, that's just my tuppence worth.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2004 - 09:18 PM

Doens't an accurate pass somehow mean the ball is being thrown to AVOID the other team? I use the rules as written (right now) but I am leaning towards the thinking that only an INACCURATE pass can be intercepted... Previous editions only allowed interceptions, fumbles, or misthrows if the pass was not accuate and complete.

1) state intention to pass, and measure distance
2) roll of pass -- check for fumble
3) if pass is accurate, check for a catch; if pass is NOT accurate, check for interception (or missthrow)

In a REAL football game, the two teams make around 30 complete passes, and at least that number of incomplete passes. There is normally less than three interceptions out of more than 60 pass attempts -- 5% or less. Do we really NEED to have so many interceptions???

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 02:45 AM

Undisclosed
      garth wrote:
Do we really NEED to have so many interceptions???

How many do you see? I don't see that many. Iirc, in our last season (about 50 games or so) we had 3 interceptions, and no-one had taken Safe Throw.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 02:57 AM

United States of America
      garth wrote:
Doens't an accurate pass somehow mean the ball is being thrown to AVOID the other team? I use the rules as written (right now) but I am leaning towards the thinking that only an INACCURATE pass can be intercepted... Previous editions only allowed interceptions, fumbles, or misthrows if the pass was not accuate and complete.

3) if pass is accurate, check for a catch; if pass is NOT accurate, check for interception (or missthrow)

In a REAL football game, the two teams make around 30 complete passes, and at least that number of incomplete passes. There is normally less than three interceptions out of more than 60 pass attempts -- 5% or less. Do we really NEED to have so many interceptions???

If you want to talk REAL football, then tell me again why an accurately thrown ball cant be intercepted by a good corner who anticipates where the ball is going?

The rule as it is now does not cause very many interceptions. We have had 2 this entire season in our league and 0 in the preceeding season. Are you putting the -2 modifier on the interception attempts? If you aren't, there's your problem. If you are then I would say you need to be more selective in your pass attempts.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 10:39 AM

garth wrote:

You must be an Argos fan (Michael Bishops anyone?) or maybe a Stampeders fan (they think that Khari Jones is a solution?) if you think that a quarterback normally throws more incomplete than complete passes. Anyone with an average below 50% should be replaced by someone more competent.

If indeed you are an Argos fan, you must be used to a lot of interceptions! Bishops has about twice as many interceptions as TD passes.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Zombie wrote:
      garth wrote:

You must be an Argos fan (Michael Bishops anyone?) or maybe a Stampeders fan (they think that Khari Jones is a solution?) if you think that a quarterback normally throws more incomplete than complete passes. Anyone with an average below 50% should be replaced by someone more competent.

If indeed you are an Argos fan, you must be used to a lot of interceptions! Bishops has about twice as many interceptions as TD passes.
Ha, ha! No an Ottawa fan. (Remember: Ottawaorc Renegades!)

How ever you slice it, the number of interceptions is BB is too high -- in my very humble opinion!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2004 - 11:57 AM

Melifaxis wrote:
      garth wrote:

If you want to talk REAL football, then tell me again why an accurately thrown ball cant be intercepted by a good corner who anticipates where the ball is going?

Good point. OK, OK, it's fine the way it is. Smile

I am still remember the method for interceptions from previous editions... Rolling Eyes

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic