NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
This happened to me only yesterday rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 07:43 AM

Tim wrote:
so as soon as the ball leaves the field squares DURING the scatter, it's treated as landing OOP.

But the ball doesn't LEAVE the field at all! How many times do i have to say it? I agree that if it left the field during scatter, it would be out of bounds. But it doesn't leave!

Reply with quote Back to top
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 08:47 AM

The official word came down as a result of the 2001 Rules Review.

Q. Is a thrown ball or kick-off that scatters off the pitch thrown back in by the crowd as soon as it leaves the field? Or do you track it all three squares and only throw it back if it finishes off the field?

A. As there are no squares located off the field you should stop rolling for a scattering ball as soon as it leaves the pitch. Although a bit of an abstraction (as the ball could scatter back onto the field if you kept rolling) this method has the distinct advantage of keeping things nice and simple.

As usual, house rule it if you don't like it. But that's the official answer.

-Chet

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 08:49 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Thanks for clearing that up Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 08:53 AM

It's ONE official answer. The other official answer is the one in the book, that says you should always roll scatter 3 times to see where it lands. It's the one that makes sense, it's the one that takes precedence and it's the one that i'm sticking to.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 08:54 AM

You're welcome. At some point, these rulings will be collected on-line. Most of them have been incorporated into the LRB, but not all of them.

-Chet

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 09:20 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Tim wrote:
Although i do understand Zombie's arguments, I'm amost 100% sure that Ian is right there and this has been officially ruled differently.

I remember the line of argument, that there are no squares outside the pitch, so as soon as the ball leaves the field squares DURING the scatter, it's treated as landing OOP.

That is exactly right. It was ruled on before by the BBRC exactly as said above by Ian. Unfortunately the FAQs from the RR have never been organized and I'm betting this one was only shown on the web site (where I KNOW it was at one point) and missed getting printed in the books.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 09:25 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

AH Ha ... found it.

Page 11 of the 2002 Annual from the 2001 Rules Review:

Q. Is a thrown ball or kick-off that scatters off the pitch thrown back in by the crowd as soon as it leaves the field? Or do you track it all three squares and only throw it back it if it finishes off the field?
A. As there are no squares located off the field you should stop rolling for a scattering ball as soon as it leaves the pitch. Although a bit of an abstraction (as the ball could scatter back onto the field if you kept rolling) this method has the distinct advantage of keeping things nice and simple.

And for the record ... I agree with the ruling.

Now ... I need to plead with Jake to get all the FAQs that never made it into the LRB text into a single appendix resource (even if its only online).

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 09:29 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Appears Chet bet me too it as I was trying to find my 2002 Annual ... oh well.

And Zombie ... you know the FAQs take priority over the LRB wording. Just because you don't like the ruling ... don't try to suggest something as completely off the wall as that its one of two official ruling. Because that's nonsense.

You don't like it fine ... its a house rule, but don't suggest to other readers that playing it that way is still an official rule. We have enough confusion at tournaments without you trying to suggest there are multiple official ways to play.

Galak

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 09:31 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Just another example of why we need the rules reviews putting into appendices of the LRB.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 09:39 AM

Galak, if there can't be two official versions, and the FAQs are always right, then tell me this. What's the official rule for using piling on on more than one player using multiple block? The FAQ says one thing that's impossible most of the time.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 01:43 PM

Undisclosed
I seem to recall it was also in an (admittedly 3rd ed.) FAQ in White Dwarf, around 187? I know that this FAQ was on the GW website at one point.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 02:53 PM

I believe you're talking about the FAQs in WD 182. I've got them on my computer, and they have nothing of the kind.

ToppyTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 03:14 PM

I actually can't find anything the states this rule. BBRC 2004 clarifications here it comes Rolling Eyes

However, in North American "Football" if the ball goes out of bounds at anytime it is to be called dead. Therefore in our league we say the ball is immedately tossed back in by the crowd.

Zombie, you have a valid point regarding the ball is in the air therefore it hasn't landed, therefore "unless the crowd intercepts" it should finish it's inaccurate path. So play it that way in your league if accepted by the commish.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2004 - 03:49 PM

No, you don't get it at all. It's not about it being in the air. It's about the fact that the ball never even visited that square, in the air or not! The three scatters aren't squares the ball moves through, they're a process to determine the square where it lands. The squares found through the first two scatters are never visited by the ball at all, not even in the air. How many times do i have to say this to make it clear?

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2004 - 03:16 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
Page 11 of the 2002 Annual from the 2001 Rules Review:

Q. Is a thrown ball or kick-off that scatters off the pitch thrown back in by the crowd as soon as it leaves the field? Or do you track it all three squares and only throw it back it if it finishes off the field?

However you want to look at it this is the official rule. Doing anything else is a house rule. I can't see any ambiguity about when this takes place.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic