NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff fancies Zara! Heard it from Varag..... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:02 AM

Undisclosed
Well, iirc correcty, the BBRC hve been discussing WA since the RR, so if they've come to a consensus on a rules change, and the LRB hasn't bben updated, imo it makes sense for them to release it.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:23 AM

United States of America
      pfooti wrote:

I was looking at the LRB here, and I disagree. It is beardy (and we've all talked about that already), but it might not be cheating.

LRB wrote:
However, when you use this rule, one player per team turn is allowed to take a Foul action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square

If you must lay the boot because of this wording, then I'd argue that you must also move your full MA.

The other actions in the game also give precedent to the may-use action in move-act type actions. In a pass action, the LRB actually says that you move some squares, after which you may pass the ball. The blitz action is similar. You are not required to throw any particular block, but you are able to throw a block during your move. You don't even have to designate a blitz target when you start moving.

Player actions like Foul, Pass, Blitz, and Handoff should remain of the move, optional action sort rather than the move, required action simply because sometimes people screw up. You forget that that guy there has Guard, Foul Appearance, or whatever. You fail to break away from the guy with Tentacles. Lots of reasons you might start by saying "Okay, this will be my Blitz/Foul" and end up not wanting to do it after all. You've still burned the team's one Blitz per turn, but you shouldn't be penalized for this.

In the case of the WA, you could add an addendum: if the WA doesn't block or foul someone during an action that was declared as a Block, Blitz or Foul, he gibbers in boundless rage, making him lose his TZs until he stops gibbering.

I don't think we should fix the WA loophole by requiring a Blitzer to throw a block somewhere in their run.

On the other hand, this is an example of why I posted above that I don't like how the rules can get changed between review sessions. The point to the rules review is to allow more time for everybody to talk about this kind of stuff, rather than us finding out about it after people figure it out. I tried to make a point to this effect in another thread about how any rule change will have unforseen consequences, simply because the people making the rule changes can't possibly think of everything, in a sufficiently complex game.

I think the spirit of the rule is crystal clear.

*Move UP TO your MA.
*You must foul.

The wording can be cleaned up to stop the "powergaming". If you don't deliver a foul, it's not a foul action, it's a move action and you don't get the +2 on move actions.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:30 AM

Undisclosed
      LRB p.24 wrote:
Normally, players that are prone cannot be attacked.
However, when you use this rule, one player per team turn is allowed to take a Foul action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square.

So, to call a Foul action the fouled player has to be both in the WA MA and prone.

So if the opposition has no prone players, or none within range, you cannot call the foul action to get the +2, and to do so is, imho, cheating.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:56 AM

pfooti wrote:
And as for the new WA/LRB3.0 rule being different from the rules listed in the October Rules Review, I don't like this precedent.

The published Rules Review has always been a point of reference for the Annual. We release it at that time so we can gather feedback before publication. It's been done in the past, and it could happen again. Changing something in August - well, that's a bad idea.

I imagine that the RR paradigm will shift again once the Playtesters Vault is up and running.

-Chet

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:12 PM

What if you declare a Blitz to get the +2 to get up and don't hit anybody?

What if you declare a Foul in general (WA or not) and miscount the number of squares it takes to get to the oppo, or decide that the extra TZ you'd have to dodge through (and didn't notice at first) isn't worth it? Or what if you get ready to foul and then remember that the Eye is on you? Should you be forced to GFI to foul?

I think in non-WA cases, a coach should be allowed to "take back" the Foul/Blitz action. You've still burned the Team Foul for the turn, but you shouldn't have to foul (note the caps) anybody. What happens if you say "this is my Blitz" and run around and forget to actually hit anyone? Should you turn back time? Should you suffer a turnover? Should be you be ejected from the tournament or league?

And if you allow things like that (essentially making the game friendlier), you have to expect some people to abuse those things. Now it is up to you if you care enough about the abuse of a particular rule to make a change to it. You can't just go and say "this rule applies this way in one case (WA) and differently in others (non-WA)". That's being beardy in the opposite direction, and is symptomatic of a poorly designed rule.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:19 PM

Melifaxis wrote:
      pfooti wrote:

I was looking at the LRB here, and I disagree. It is beardy (and we've all talked about that already), but it might not be cheating.

LRB wrote:
However, when you use this rule, one player per team turn is allowed to take a Foul action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square

If you must lay the boot because of this wording, then I'd argue that you must also move your full MA.

I think the spirit of the rule is crystal clear.

*Move UP TO your MA.
*You must foul.

The wording can be cleaned up to stop the "powergaming". If you don't deliver a foul, it's not a foul action, it's a move action and you don't get the +2 on move actions.

There's a difference between the spirit and letter of the rule. Neither you nor I know what the spirit of the rule is unless we ask JJ or whomever wrote the rule. We do, however, know the letter of the rule, which is unclear in the extreme.

If you call "Foul Action", roll a 2, and move (without fouling), do you instead go back and make the rat ogre stay prone? It is only after ending the RO's turn that you know he broke the rules. If you call "Foul Action", roll a 4, and move, do you keep it, but call the action actuall a "Move"? What if you call "Foul", get up and trip in a dodge (or fail a GFI, or fail to break from a tentacle player)? What do you do then?

I don't know of any other rules that have a "turn back time" effect. Too many weird side effects. So, besides calling the opponent Beardy, and perhaps shunning him/her, is there any real in-game effect that can counter this?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:22 PM

Tutenkharnage wrote:
      pfooti wrote:
And as for the new WA/LRB3.0 rule being different from the rules listed in the October Rules Review, I don't like this precedent.

The published Rules Review has always been a point of reference for the Annual. We release it at that time so we can gather feedback before publication. It's been done in the past, and it could happen again. Changing something in August - well, that's a bad idea.

I wish I had known. I'm in a league where we fix our rules to whatever is current at the beginning of a season, and only change between seasons. This is great if you only have rule updates once a year, and less so the more frequently you change the rules on us.

Personally, I would rather put up with a bad rule (even the 3LOS one) for a year than end up with a game that is like the WizKids line (an extreme case, I know) where the FAQ comes out monthly or more frequently, and can change the rules significantly from month to month.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:39 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Darkson wrote:
      LRB p.24 wrote:
Normally, players that are prone cannot be attacked.
However, when you use this rule, one player per team turn is allowed to take a Foul action. This allows the player to move a number of squares equal to his MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square.

So, to call a Foul action the fouled player has to be both in the WA MA and prone.

So if the opposition has no prone players, or none within range, you cannot call the foul action to get the +2, and to do so is, imho, cheating.

That sure as h*ll would be my ruling as a referee or commish.

I agree with Chet 100%. Calling a foul action and not fouling is cheating and I would not allow a coach to do this in my leagues or tournaments. PERIOD. If you want to argue this ... you are nitpicking rules that I agree with Chet are not nickpickable. There must be someone to foul in range to declare a foul action in the first place and you have to try to get to them or its cheating. Plain and simple. I don't see the confusion point here really.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:50 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

pfooti wrote:
We do, however, know the letter of the rule, which is unclear in the extreme.

I really disagree with this statement completely.

Quote:
If you call "Foul Action", roll a 2, and move (without fouling), do you instead go back and make the rat ogre stay prone?

YES, because it wasn't a LEGAL move. If someone has already blitzed and then declares another blitz and blocks you and you remember that he already used his blitz ... what do you do? ITS THE SAME THING! You make him take the move back and do a legal one. For pete's sake, its not like illegal movement has never occurred in this game before this WA ruling.

Quote:
It is only after ending the RO's turn that you know he broke the rules. If you call "Foul Action", roll a 4, and move, do you keep it, but call the action actuall a "Move"?

No because a foul action was called which means two choices:
1) He fouls an opponent at the end of the move or fails his movement getting to him (ie falls down or fails a Stand Firm Dodge)
2) You put the player back prone because he performed an illegal movement.

Again, I don't see the issues here. Its very clear cut to me.

Quote:
What if you call "Foul", get up and trip in a dodge (or fail a GFI, or fail to break from a tentacle player)? What do you do then?

This is no different from declaring any other action where the movement stops the action. If the player cannot reach the player through LEGAL effort ... then that's fine. Usually that will be turnover with tentacles and failed Stand Firm dodges being the rare exceptions to this fact.

Quote:
I don't know of any other rules that have a "turn back time" effect.

Really ... I can list a whole bunch.

1) Blitzing when a blitz was already declared
2) Trying to hand off twice
3) Trying to pass twice
4) Forgetting to roll for a dodge during a player movement after he's been placed in his final square.
5) Forgetting a player has Side Step and after moving him having to have his position redone by the other coach.

I could really go on and on here.

They are called mistakes. All mistakes have a "turn back time" element and we've all handled them just fine for years and years. Declaring a foul that the player tries to use only as a move action is a "mistake" or "cheating" ... in this game ... we fix mistakes and move on.

I really just don't see the problems here.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:53 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Forgive my tone.

We get screamed at about how bad WA is and shouldn't something be done.

We do something and the SAME folks screaming that something should be done are on this thread complaining about the fix. GEESCH!!!

pfooti that may not be you, but your posts make this sound like such a confusing rule when its about as clear cut a rule as I've seen.

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:56 PM

United States of America
thank you galak. damn rules lawyers.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 12:57 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

pfooti wrote:
I think in non-WA cases, a coach should be allowed to "take back" the Foul/Blitz action.

Guess this is one of the part company items.

I don't let coaches on non-WA take back actions they declare once they start to move that player. Either as an opponent, a commish, or a tournament judge.

Galak

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 01:05 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      pfooti wrote:
We do, however, know the letter of the rule, which is unclear in the extreme.

I really disagree with this statement completely.

Really. The letter of the rule says that you "move a number of your squares equal to your MA and then make a foul against an opposing player who is both prone and in an adjacent square". The common interpretation replaces equal with up to, despite the fact that on page 8, the LRB describes the move action as may move his MA. A conditional not present in the foul rules.

I'm not saying you should have to move exactly your MA in order to foul, simply that the exact niggles of the fouling rule are unclear in the rulebook.

But I will defer to you, Galak, since you are one of the few people who are qualified to discuss the "Spirit" of the rules.

GalakStarscraper wrote:

Quote:
I don't know of any other rules that have a "turn back time" effect.

Really ... I can list a whole bunch.

1) Blitzing when a blitz was already declared
2) Trying to hand off twice
3) Trying to pass twice
4) Forgetting to roll for a dodge during a player movement after he's been placed in his final square.
5) Forgetting a player has Side Step and after moving him having to have his position redone by the other coach.

All of these need to be handled at the moment the error was made. "This is a Blitz action", "no wait, you already blitzed once", "Oh, okay then this is a Move action". You don't get to say "wait, that was your second Blitz" after the player has gotten up, dodged around, thrown a block, rolled armor/injury, and moved on. Or at least you don't in our league. Maybe you should be able to.

So, I want to know what happens if I do the following:

I declare a Blitz action with one of my (non-WA) players. I move my guy some squares and end up adjacent to an opponent. I count assists, whoops, it's a half-die block instead of a one die block. Never mind, not going to throw the block. Am I forced to? If not, does this burn my team's Blitz action?

I declare Foul action, do the same, and realize the Eye is on me. I don't foul after all. Does this retroactively turn the action into a Move, freeing up my Foul for a different player if I decide that one is expendable (and I don't mind the turnover at that point?)

I declare Foul with my WA and make the roll (barely). I miscount squares and don't make it into fouling territory. Being a good sport I say, "Whoops! I'll just put my WA back down. Oh, now where did he go? I sure don't recall, does my opponent? No, now what do we do?"

From what I hear, it is okay to make a mistake and turn back time to turn actions from special actions into move actions. What about the other way? Can I say, "oops, this was supposed to be a Blitz!" Why not?

Again, I'm not exactly in favor of either interpretation of Foul/Blitz. This is similar to my Long Boring Rant about DT. I want a set of rules that are internally consistent, and not riddled with special case rulings. And from an aesthetic point of view, I don't think you should ever take back moves, at least from the point of view that I've seen reasonable people disagree on where a player originated.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: as stated b4  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
As I have stated before I like WA better now than before.

Its fits the fluff of the nature of the Rat Ogre!

Only thing I guess , I think maybe should be considered as change, is the rolling over from stunned to prone (for all Big Guys). Personally I think waking up from being stunned has nothing to do with how inteligent or wild you are. So rolling over to me anyway should be a free action. Standing up however, you should still roll.

But WA now? Its awsome, don't let those people who cry bloody mary bother you!

Rod

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 01:10 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      pfooti wrote:
I think in non-WA cases, a coach should be allowed to "take back" the Foul/Blitz action.

Guess this is one of the part company items.

I don't let coaches on non-WA take back actions they declare once they start to move that player. Either as an opponent, a commish, or a tournament judge.

Galak

What would you do if a non-WA player declared Blitz and ran near some other players and didn't block them (thought better of it)? In four minute turns, people misjudge where everyone will be and just notice as they slide into the right square. Would you make them go back and hit one of them, which one, and who decides?

For the record, I think the WA rule was pretty bad, but was perfectly willing to wait and see for a year on it.

I think the new WA rule is very clear. I also think that it is subject to abuse because it exposes an unclear corner case of the rules (what happens when you declare Foul/Blitz and change your mind) than never came up before in polite play, because there was no good reason to burn your team Blitz, and everyone I knew/played with just let it stand as a wasted Team Blitz Action. But now it is possible to abuse that action, so we need to clarify the foul/blitz sequence.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic