NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
She has Very Long Legs, Sure Hands and a Hypnotic Gaze! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2004 - 08:01 PM

Why does he get -2? Because you're going down, and that scares him? No, because you're jumping right at him! You can do that with your tail too!

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 02:48 AM

Undisclosed
I always understood it as a last-ditch diving grasp, which was why you were going prone.

If I'm wrong, that's fine, I just had the timing all wrong.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 10:25 AM

Darkson wrote:
Ah, then maybe I was reading the skill describtion wrong, as it says place the player prone then the dodger takes the -2 from the dodge roll.

Actually, this was a Really Boring Argument I had on TBB with Galak about a year ago. There is a timing hole somewhere in the way DT is currently worded (especially when it interacts with the oppo using a reroll).

Here's a for-example. If a player is dodging through your TZ (from one to another), it is a straight AG roll (+1 for the dodge, -1 for the TZ). If you use diving tackle, it becomes -2, because the TZ penalty still applies. Furthermore, if the opponent fails the roll and uses dodge, he still has to roll at -2, even though you're prone now, not exerting a TZ, and not even really forcing him to dodge.

In a similar way, you should be able to use PT with DT for a cumulative -3.

At the end of our long (and boring) soapboxy argument, Galak agreed to add something to the Hotlist on the order of changing the wording of DT so the player goes prone after the dodge attempt is resolved. But he didn't.

In the old days, you couldn't have two modifiers stack, which is why Strong Arm and Accurate are different but similar. Nowadays, they could be the same, because the only restriction is stacking mods to armor and injury rolls (as has been pointed out).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:08 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      pfooti wrote:
      Darkson wrote:
Ah, then maybe I was reading the skill describtion wrong, as it says place the player prone then the dodger takes the -2 from the dodge roll.

Actually, this was a Really Boring Argument I had on TBB with Galak about a year ago. There is a timing hole somewhere in the way DT is currently worded (especially when it interacts with the oppo using a reroll).

Here's a for-example. If a player is dodging through your TZ (from one to another), it is a straight AG roll (+1 for the dodge, -1 for the TZ). If you use diving tackle, it becomes -2, because the TZ penalty still applies. Furthermore, if the opponent fails the roll and uses dodge, he still has to roll at -2, even though you're prone now, not exerting a TZ, and not even really forcing him to dodge.

In a similar way, you should be able to use PT with DT for a cumulative -3.

At the end of our long (and boring) soapboxy argument, Galak agreed to add something to the Hotlist on the order of changing the wording of DT so the player goes prone after the dodge attempt is resolved. But he didn't.

In the old days, you couldn't have two modifiers stack, which is why Strong Arm and Accurate are different but similar. Nowadays, they could be the same, because the only restriction is stacking mods to armor and injury rolls (as has been pointed out).

ok yours saying a total of -3, but you still get the +1 for making the dodge? So if Dodging to an empty square from an opponent who uses Prehensile Tail & DT, then it would be +1 + -3= -2. So it would be a minus 2 not a minus 3 right?

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:51 AM

right, my mistake.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 04:22 PM

Darkson wrote:
I always understood it as a last-ditch diving grasp, which was why you were going prone.

If I'm wrong, that's fine, I just had the timing all wrong.

The fact that you can declare the skill after seeing the result of the dodge (which is stupid and something i'll always fight against) is probably what got you confused.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 04:25 PM

pfooti wrote:

Don't look at skill rerolls as something that gives you a second chance when you fail the first time. They will never make sense that way. Look at them as an increased chance of succeeding in your first attempt. Then you won't see the reroll as a timing issue anymore.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: Zombie is right  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 11:07 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Zombie is right! A reroll is almost like going back in time. Thats why its called a RERoll. If it were a second chane that took place after the initial roll, I guess they woulda called it a SECONDRoll.

Did that make any if at all any sense?

Maybe someone can explain it better than I.

Rod

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 09:25 AM

England
      Quote:
No, because you're jumping right at him! You can do that with your tail too!

This one made me laugh. A Rat Ogre's hands and tail are almost at opposite ends of his body. They are certainly a long way apart when he dives with his arms stretched out to tackle a player. There is no way they could be used together. Better to think of it as the tail putting the dodger off balance, and the dive finishing him off.

pfootiOffline
Post subject: Re: Zombie is right  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 11:19 AM

Clan-Skaven wrote:
Zombie is right! A reroll is almost like going back in time. Thats why its called a RERoll. If it were a second chane that took place after the initial roll, I guess they woulda called it a SECONDRoll.

Actually, that's what I always thought, but that doesn't make sense in light of everyhing else. Here's the big deal:

If rerolls were really RErolls, your opponent shouldn't be allowed to change his/her skill selections for the second roll. Example:

I dodge, roll 1. Reroll, get a 3. You decide to use DT after seeing the second roll. If the reroll were truly a REroll, you shouldn't be able to DT after the second roll, just the first. But because you can add a skill to the second roll that isn't in the first, the reroll is actually a SECOND roll, and SOME (but not ALL) of the modifiers to the roll get retotaled. Bleh.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 02:38 PM

This problem is only present because players are allowed to decide whether to use diving tackle after seeing the dice roll. The rule should never have been made this way, and i still hope they're eventually see the light and make it declare before.

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 04:15 PM

I agree.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic