NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:29 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Concussion! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2004 - 12:41 PM

SBG wrote:
It's kind of like just before the thrower gets it in the chin that this happens.

Yeah, i guess you're right.

Reply with quote Back to top
ZFurelliOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 06:13 AM

Scotland

This means that by the rules the Blitzer could be 3 squares away from the opposing player during the block.

Furelli

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 09:15 AM

England
No, he can't pass block at all.

The sequence is:
1) blitzer declares a block (and is now committed to throwing the block).
2) defender declares dump off.
3) pass blockers move, but the blitzer can't as he is mid way through a block and can't do anything else until it is resolved.
4) the dump off is resolved.
5) the block is resolved.
6) the blitzer is now free to complete his move, and may perform a pass block of his own if the opportunity arises.

ZFurelliOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 09:28 AM

Scotland

3) pass blockers move, but the blitzer can't as he is mid way through a block and can't do anything else until it is resolved.

I agree that it should not be possible but please show me a rule in the LRB or FAQ's that indicates a player cannot do anything midway through an action. Surely I can use any skills I have when the trigger effect happens if playing by the book.

Furelli

LouisXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 09:43 AM

Undisclosed

The easiest solution : blitz him on the square between the thrower and the possible catcher to make an interception Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 09:49 AM

England
Well it doesn't say that you can, and as a pass blocking player has to make dodge rolls to leave tackle zones etc. just like a normal move it seems logical to say that he can't use the skill when mid way through a block.

Certainly when blitzing you have to resolve the block before you carry on moving so I see no reason why a pass blocker would be allowed to move between declaring the block and rolling the dice.

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2004 - 11:02 AM

Mordredd wrote:

While I do agree with this statement, it is an opinion and not necessarily supported by the LRB. It seems like the sane interpretation tho. But imagine a new sequence instead:

1. declare ballcarrier as target of a block
2. ballcarrier declares dumpoff pass target
3. resolve block result, but don't scatter ball
4. passblockers move
5. intercept roll
6. pass roll
7. catch roll

So then the passblocking blitzer could move. It still wouldn't make sense, though, since the blitzer is the guy who is forcing the dump off.

On the other hand, the dump off passer shouldn't be throwing the ball as he's falling, rather just before he's hit. So a passblocking blitzer maybe wouldn't roll the block dice, instead would say "Fooled you!" and get the interception. Waste of a Blitz action, and you just have to decide if the blitzer could hit someone else instead (I'd say no).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2004 - 07:18 AM

England
That sequence definitely can't happen due to the way the dump off skill is worded.

In order to force the dump off the blitzer must declare a block, which means he can't then not do it once the dump off has been made.

Also the dump off is entirely resolved before the block dice are rolled, meaning step 3 must come after step 7.

Quote:
Dump-Off
This skill allows the player to make a Quick Pass when an opposing player declares that he will throw a block at him, allowing the player to get rid of the ball before he is hit. Work out makes his block. The normal throwing rules apply, except that neither teams turn ends as a result of the throw, whatever it may be. After the throw is worked out your opponent completes the block, and then carries on with his turn.

My stated sequence is not just an opinion, but a statement of fact fully supported by the LRB. Though if anyone can tell me what "Work out makes his block" is supposed to mean I'd be grateful.

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2004 - 11:35 AM

The sequence I proposed was a rule change, not an interpretation. The rules are very clear about when the dump off happens and when the block dice are rolled. The place the rules are unclear is if the hitting player can declare a block, run away (with pass block) and still roll the block dice. Weird situation, and I'd be inclined to say the hitting player can't passblock, but I've been wrong before.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2004 - 04:50 AM

England
Oh, sorry. You threw me with "it is an opinion and not necessarily supported by the LRB".

In that case I personally don't like the proposed change. He's meant to be getting rid of the ball before he's hit, and if it was resolved in that order then where would the dump off player throw the ball from? Where he started, before the block, or where he's pushed to?

It may not be spelt out, but I do think that there is a strong implication in the wording of the rules that the blocking player is 'paused' mid action while the dump off is resolved.

ToppyTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2004 - 12:40 PM

Quote:

No, he can't pass block at all.

Thanks for the Clarifcation as it came up in an actually game today where Helf catcher had pass block and blizted my dump off thrower.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic