NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 05, 2024 - 03:47 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dodge this! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
YzermanOffline
Post subject: [SoCal] Anyone for a Blood Bowl tournament at Gamex in May?  PostPosted: Feb 17, 2003 - 11:48 PM

Gamex is part of the Strategicon line of conventions http://www.strategicon.net, and will be held over Memorial Day weekend, May 23-26. It is held at the Westin Hotel, near LAX. They finished an event this past weekend, but I wasn't able to attend (Biggdork, how was it, did you play any BB?)

Anyway, I know there's another thread about doing the Comic Con in San Diego, but would anybody be interested in a tournament at the Gamex event? As a plus, they already hold several Warhammer tournaments, so we may be able to generate some additional players from that crowd. It's also a little more gamer oriented than what the Comic Con appears to be (I could have this wrong; just going on what I've seen of the gaming options at the Comic Con web site). BTW, I'm not trying to take anything away from the Comic Con BB event. I'd be there if I wasn't leaving for a Florida vacation that same weekend. Sad

If there's interest in a Gamex BB Tournament, I would be willing to try to organize the event. Thoughts?

Jon

Last edited by Yzerman on Feb 18, 2003 - 12:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
biggdorkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 12:50 AM

I'm in.

I didn't make it to the con this weekend, valentines day, etc. had their way with me instead. I agree on the comic con gaming climate as well. Though, at past conventions I picked up some great gaming deals in the dealer room, and there seemed to be a fair amount of gaming going on, I think a games based convention would be a better bet for a good turnout. I'm still in for both!

I got a buddy that would enter too, so that makes three of us!

As a sidenote, with the smaller tourneys that have been run, can the organizers play too? Or is that too much of a conflict of interest thing going on. I sure would like to play in a tourney as well as (sort-of) organize them!

YzermanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 12:06 PM

Hmm, you bring up a good point. That would suck to organize the whole thing and not be able to play. If those are the rules, however, I could probably get by playing friendlies with anyone who wanted to get in extra games. No they wouldn't "count", but at least I'd get to play, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2003 - 01:00 PM

I would be interested in doing this, except that I'm already booked for that weekend. Sad

You are right, the Comic Con is not really a game convention (not that it's not gammer friendly, just not that much interest in it). It is, after all, a comic book convention. That's why I figure that the con tourny would probably have about 10 players, 20 at max.

I, too, have been wondering about the concept of organizing and playing. I'm getting the impression as I do this that the organizer(s) of any tourny, even a small one, will be too busy to actually participate in it. But, we'll see.

Chris

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 07:41 AM

Eww.. camping that weekend. Outside of that, I'd be interested in any event on the West coast. San Diego to Seattle. LA'd bee sweet as those are my old stomping grounds.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 03:12 PM

United States of America
I would love to as I fully expect to have my Skaven Team painted by then. Of course I have to ask the wifey and trade some unimanagable task. Are you talking Sat or Sunday and what format.
here are some suggestions:
Sat is cool cause there is usually a 40K RT on Sunday
Are there going to be any speed Bloodbowl rounds?
Hey you can do this in a normal D&D style room if you get it organized before the Stragaticon guys print everyting up instead of the miniature room. But the miniature room offers alot of expoure.
It would be cool to have 2 games of 30 second or 1 minute speed bloodbowl games ofr the fun and crazyness.
Are you gonna do Swiss or double elimination or what?

Dennis

ggierschOffline
Post subject: Sounds Great!  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2003 - 04:41 AM

Hi guys!

Yes, I have been to enough tournies to know that you can help run one and still play. I think that if everyone knows the rules, it should be fair. However, expect to be frazzled by questions while you are playing. Make sure to get help with paperwork, in-between game prep, and overall setup. Feel free to contact me privately if you need any assistance or questions answered.

Gregg Giersch
United States Tournament Organizer

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic