NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 09:33 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Ask Lord Borak rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 24, 2004 - 05:53 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
      GE_Fu wrote:

Actually there is an official answer in the LRB3 Faq for that.

If a player has to be pushed it is 1. empty square 2. player/off the field (moving team choice) and if one has stand firm the others first.

I can't seem to find this in the official Q&A, please provide a quote.

GE_Fu wrote:

OK, so this is a case where stand firm protects the pushed player.

By the way, Stan Firm states cannot be pushed back, so it is not a choice.

I'm with Tio on this one. You do not have to use a skill/trait (except frenzy) just because you've got it, and a player who doesn't use a skill is regarded as not having it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
GE_FuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 - 05:50 AM

I stand corrected : straight from the Living Rulebook 3.0 :

LRB3.0 wrote:

Stand Firm (Strength Trait)
A player with this skill is never pushed back as the result of a block. He may completely ignore ???Push Back??? results, and 'Knock-down' results always knock the player over in the square where he started. If a player is pushed back into a player with Stand Firm then neither player moves. In addition, the player does not fall over if he fails a Dodge roll. Although the player stays on his feet, he must return to his starting square. His action ends and he may do nothing else that turn. A turnover, however, does not take place.

Highlight mine.

Also straight from the LRB3.0 :

LRB3.0 wrote:
Push Backs: A player that is pushed back as a result of a block must be moved one square away from the player making the block, as shown in the diagrams. The coach of the player who made the block may decide which square the player is moved to.

The player must be pushed back into an empty square if possible. If all such squares are occupied by other players, then the player is pushed into an occupied square, and the player that originally occupied the square is pushed back in turn. This secondary push back is treated exactly like a normal push back as if the second player had been blocked by the first. The coach of the moving team decides all push back directions for secondary push backs unless the pushed player has a skill that overrides this.

Players must be pushed off the field if there are no eligible empty squares on the field. A player pushed off the field is beaten up by the crowd and must roll on the Injury Table (see Injuries, opposite). No modifiers apply to this roll.

You can then push back and apply the block result to your own player if you are not smart.

Player pushes a player with side step : no empty square, other coach chooses one of your players -> both falls (if block results state so) -> turnover.

Order would then be :

1. Empty Square
2. Off Field
3. Other player
4. Other player w/stand firm (and if other coach chooses to apply it -> no move)

Example where all of that could apply :
      Code:
   FG*
   DE*
   BC*
  A  *

A push B, coach chooses D, D goes in free square.
coach chooses E, E goes off field
coach chooses C, C goes off field

On top of that as the original block result applies, you can get 2 casualties with one block attempt for real. The Pow result will get applied to both players. In that example, if you want to try the double casualty, you should obviously choose D.

Otherwise, you can take the safe path and push them off-field. 1 possible CAS and one player out for the drive for sure.

Would mighty blow get applied to both block ? I would tend to say yes, as the rules say that the original block result applies to both. What do you think ?

The debate during the game was quite heated. With some time to investigate quite easy to sort out.

Sorry for mischoosing the actual sources. I did not have the time to look it up properly.

The same opponent then failed to score on 4 consecutive dodge rolls Razz during the same match of course. He was quite mad at me Wink

Francois

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 - 06:22 AM

The second player is only pushed back. He can't be taken down, no matter what you rolled.

According to the official rules, a player with stand firm can be chosen over a normal player (like i said, this is only a house rule).

slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 - 06:31 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
Francois, it is only the push back that is applied to D or E, not the knock down.
Unless using multiple block you can only knock down one player with one block.
      Quote:
This secondary push back is treated exactly like a normal push back as if the second player had been blocked by the first

Also note that even when using side step, you are still only allowed to choose empty squares when being pushed.
You cannot side step into another player.

And you still owe me a quote for the following:
      Quote:

Actually there is an official answer in the LRB3 Faq for that.

If a player has to be pushed it is 1. empty square 2. player/off the field (moving team choice) and if one has stand firm the others first.

mikeyc222Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2004 - 03:18 PM

GE_Fu wrote:
...the rules say that the original block result applies to both...

sorry, man. that's a big fat negative. the rules only refer to pushing back NOT knocking down a secondary push. no where does it mention the block result.

Free the West Memphis 3!
http://www.wm3.org

GE_FuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2004 - 09:11 AM

mikeyc222 wrote:
      GE_Fu wrote:
...the rules say that the original block result applies to both...

sorry, man. that's a big fat negative. the rules only refer to pushing back NOT knocking down a secondary push. no where does it mention the block result.

Oooops...

Seems o me I can't even read what I quote correctly...

Embarassed

Francois

Tio_LuisoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2004 - 12:25 AM

1.- Secondary pushbacks are just that: pushbacks. Pow's do not propagate.

2.- I don't see why I couldn't choose a Stand firm player over a non-stand firm player for secondary pushbacks. Obviously, free squares are chosen above occupied ones. Say, in the next diagram:

A E
BDF
C G

Where A, B, and C are my players, D is an opponent's player, and E, F and G are my players. F has Stand Firm. I could hit him with A. Pushback. I choose to push him into F. So no pushback. Then I could hit him with B. Pushback. I choose to push him into F. So no pushback. And so on...

3.- While most times I'll want to use Stand Firm, it's up to me to choose if I use it or not, like any other skill or trait. There might be times where I would want to be pushed back. I remember, however, that javabbowl doesn't let you choose if you use it or not. It's always used. A pity.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2004 - 01:13 AM

No you couldn't. On the first block with A, you'd have to push him in the empty square between C and G.

Tio_LuisoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2004 - 12:02 AM

True. I failed to see that. but if the diagram were something like

Very Happy Cool Very Happy
Cool Sad Cool
Very Happy Cool Very Happy

Where Very Happy are my players, Cool are my players with Stand Firm and Sad is the opponent, it would be overkill, but i could hit the opponent with every player without pushing him.

On the other side, in the next diagram:

Smile Smile
Very Happy Sad
Smile Smile

if my opponent blocks my player Sad (whom has Stand Firm) with his player Very Happy , and the result is a pushback, I can choose not to use Stand Firm, to get to the next diagram:

Smile Smile Laughing
Very Happy Laughing
Smile Smile Laughing

Where Laughing are the possible pushback directions.

Tio_LuisoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2004 - 12:05 AM

Sorry. The second diagram was something like this:

Smile Smile Laughing
Pushback Very Happy Laughing
Smile Smile Laughing

where Pushback is the square just left by the blocker (if he chooses to follow)

Tio_LuisoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2004 - 12:06 AM

Sorry again. Not the second, but the third diagram.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2004 - 12:09 AM

If you've got 8 players surrounding the opponent, you don't need stand firm to get 8 blocks on him. Push him onto anyone of your players who hasn't played yet. Push that player straight. Then hit him back with this same player to get him back inside the "cage". Rinse and repeat.

Tio_LuisoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2004 - 12:11 AM

Yup. Obviously. Only for the sake of demonstrating that I don't have to choose a non-Stand Firm player over a Stand-Firm Player.

Thanks anyway.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic