NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 12:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That's ok - he has Regenerate. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 01:22 AM

United States of America
Best way to solve that problem with overall winners, is to make a seperate award.

Overall Tournament winner and Best Coach. Tournament winner only takes in account of just the game stats, Best Coach takes care of all the stats combined.

Seen that be used in many Tourneys over here.

BBC Lockerroom

Reply with quote Back to top
dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 04:32 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

majortusk wrote:
Best way to solve that problem with overall winners, is to make a seperate award.

Overall Tournament winner and Best Coach. Tournament winner only takes in account of just the game stats, Best Coach takes care of all the stats combined.

Yep, 100% in agreement! Exclamation That means that you have a 'knock-out competition style' champion and an 'overall most tourney points style' champion. Both players get acknowledged and it's up to the individual to decide which champion they think is more worthy.
I personally would judge them on an equal level and give the same prize/amount of kudos to both...

224th at The World Cup II

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 05:41 AM

Undisclosed
Is no one going to post the number of coaches that attended? Evil or Very Mad

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 05:44 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
Galak, even if it's less than before, that's still too many bonus points, as can clearly be seen by the final result. I agree with jpeletis, in that people should only be ranked by their records, with TDs, CAS and sportsmanship used only as tie breakers.

Been there, tried that .... had 6 coaches drop out of the tournament after the 1st round because they lost their first game which made it mathematically impossible for them to compete for gold ring.

So I'll just say I agree and disagree with your opinion Zombie. In a perfect world yeah ... its a great idea. But BB coaches are not perfect people so the point system has to make it very difficult to catch up for a loss but possible. Just my personal belief on the matter. Otherwise, the non-die hards find better things to do with the rest of their day.

As for sportsmanship ... yeah Dean ... I see how you suggest that could happen. But to be honest the type of coach that would be willing to do that probably won't be getting many sportsmanship points from his other 3 games as that type of attitude tends to bleed through your playing style.

That said ... it was a good time ... it ran a lot better than I hoped. I'm going to take some thoughts from Ken on the bonus points for CAS and I'll kick around in my head Dean's thoughts on sportsmanship.

Galak

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 06:00 AM

United States of America
      Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
Is no one going to post the number of coaches that attended? Evil or Very Mad

22 according to Galak over on TBB Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 06:18 AM

Undisclosed
Thank, Rob! Just saw where Tom had posted it... such an in-between number - I had thought 30+ would mean relative success, below 20 demonstration of failure... still, when I see 40 or so in Canada - with the effort that was made to entertain and enjoy - it's clear that someone in the US has some work to do...

Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 08:16 AM

Carol Stream
Xtreme,
Yeah that was a great game. It's always very "interesting" setting up against a Big guy team when my guys only have strength 2 and strength 3. That's why they can run like hell!
At the end of the second half I don't think I ever seen anyone roll that many "Bonehead" rolls! Neutral

Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Carol Stream
      Quote:
As for sportsmanship ... yeah Dean ... I see how you suggest that could happen. But to be honest the type of coach that would be willing to do that probably won't be getting many sportsmanship points from his other 3 games as that type of attitude tends to bleed through your playing style.

I agree with you Tom. But the problem I see is it is a vote you cast insecrecy at the end of the tourney. Plus the fact that you have to give somebody that dreaded 4th slot of 3 points. It was a very difficult to decide some of the ranking as all of the coaches I played could have a 1st place rating if it was possible, and I would like to think that I was as good as sport in their eyes as well. In theory, someone could end up with 12 points (4 games of 4th sportsmanship), just because every coach had to chose one.

Like I said, I am new to tourneys, so I don;t fully understand all of the reasoning., but I think that your "Red" and "Yellow" demerits would be enough to take away the threat of a poor sport going anywhere point wise.

Quote:
That said ... it was a good time ... it ran a lot better than I hoped.

I agree 100% - and I think everyone who attended would agree!

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 10:11 AM

United States of America
i'm in the group of overall winner and tourney champion (winner of championship game) --but usually they are the same person so the overall winner would go to 2nd best.

As for sportsmanship, I think this is the best method I've seen just because it actually forces you to differentiate between your opponents. Other tourneys basically I've seen have you give everybody a rating....some people just give max points to everyone while others differentiate. Which leads to skewed results. I think with this system you'll actually get a "best sportsman" because the variance of pts.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 12:35 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

This could change ... but here I think are my thoughts for GenCon then next year that used the same system as the Chaos Cup.

1) 5 games

2) Top two teams using game+bonus points after 4 games play in the final in game 5. They are 1st and 2nd. Drop the prize for 3rd place.

3) All-around coach award will be award to the coach from the remaining players with the most overall tournament points (including sportsmanship and painting).

4) CAS bonus points will move to 10 points for 2 more than opponent, 5 points for 1 more, 0 points for tie.

5) Sportsmanship will be revised to this if GenCon was still 4 games like the Chaos Cup was:
1st: 17 points
2nd: 13 points
3rd: 9 points
4th: 5 points
Your highest and lowest rankings will be halved and rounded up for total sportsmanship.
So the current system without this change would have a maximum of 52 and a minimum of 12 for 4 games. This would have a maximum of 52 and a minimum 16 for 4 games.

This is removes some error if a coach gets nailed hard by one weird result. A coach in the old method with 3 1sts and a 4th would get 42 points. With this sytem he would get 46 points. Without ignoring results you cannot totally fix this possible issue that Dean mentioned ... but this reduces its effect quite a bit ... costing that coach no more than 6 points as compared to 10 in the old system.

=========================================

Not locked in stone ... but this is what I'm taking away from this tournament at this moment for possible changes.

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 12:44 PM

United States of America
that looks solid to me tom.

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 12:57 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
5) Sportsmanship will be revised to this if GenCon was still 4 games like the Chaos Cup was:
1st: 17 points
2nd: 13 points
3rd: 9 points
4th: 5 points
Your highest and lowest rankings will be halved and rounded up for total sportsmanship.
So the current system without this change would have a maximum of 52 and a minimum of 12 for 4 games. This would have a maximum of 52 and a minimum 16 for 4 games.

This is removes some error if a coach gets nailed hard by one weird result. A coach in the old method with 3 1sts and a 4th would get 42 points. With this sytem he would get 46 points. Without ignoring results you cannot totally fix this possible issue that Dean mentioned ... but this reduces its effect quite a bit ... costing that coach no more than 6 points as compared to 10 in the old system.

Galak, I'm a little confused about this. You've mixed tense a couple of times and some of the math doesn't seem to add up.

Could you post exactly what you are thinking of for next years Gen Con?

If you put that in it might clear it up.

Also, I'm not sure I follow your math. 3 firsts and a 4th add up to 56 (17*3 +5) you said 42?

Did I miss something? Confused

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 01:07 PM

United States of America
I think Chaos cup was 13, 10, 6, 3

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 01:13 PM

gken1 wrote:
I think Chaos cup was 13, 10, 6, 3

OK. Now I get 42. Thanks Ken Smile

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 01:39 PM

United States of America
Chaos Cup FLUFF:

Warped Vengence 2 vs Desert Kings 1

The Warped Vengence raised the Chaos Cup in the air declaring victory, but when they go to receive their winnings the Chaos gods frowned on their Casualty output and they only walk away with the Cup. The Desert Kings receive all the $$$$$$$$$$$$ from the Crystal Ball Service (CBS) and the gate.

Warped Vengence----Chaos Cup Champs!!!!!!!!!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic