NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 12:19 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are overrated rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 02:44 PM

Carol Stream
... and the DESERT KINGS the undisputed Overall Champions!

Ken, you rule, man. We'll meet up again on the pitch some day!

Reply with quote Back to top
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 02:58 PM

Undisclosed
Great display of sportsmanship you two! It's great to see and I'm glad to have such great players in the US...

And Ken - we gotta do some shopping for you, my friend! All your champions pictures are in the same shirt... or, maybe that's your LUCKY shirt... Very Happy Wink

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 03:14 PM

United States of America
Maybe we should place a bounty on the shirt Wink

Next one to bunk with Ken swipes it and puts it through a shredder... Razz

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 03:56 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      majortusk wrote:
Best way to solve that problem with overall winners, is to make a seperate award.

Overall Tournament winner and Best Coach. Tournament winner only takes in account of just the game stats, Best Coach takes care of all the stats combined.

Seen that be used in many Tourneys over here.

IMO this is a really tricky question and both approaches are valid.

By including Sports/Painting etc in the overall rankings Galak and other organisers are emphasising the combined nature of the event. If you separate sports/painting into their own prizes where they don't count then you are making these important parts of the hobby less significant - and crucical allowing b*st*rds with unpainted teams compete.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 04:47 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Doubleskulls wrote:
and crucical allowing b*st*rds with unpainted teams compete.
and to be honest ... this was the part of the system that has always made me cringe. Because I know the point system I'm using was designed to specifically not allow these folks to win or at least make it more difficult.

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 04:54 PM

United States of America
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
      Doubleskulls wrote:
and crucical allowing b*st*rds with unpainted teams compete.
and to be honest ... this was the part of the system that has always made me cringe. Because I know the point system I'm using was designed to specifically not allow these folks to win or at least make it more difficult.

Galak

Worship never thought of it from that point of view....hmm. to show up to a tourney without a painted team just seems unthinkable to me I guess.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 04:56 PM

United States of America
      Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
Great display of sportsmanship you two! It's great to see and I'm glad to have such great players in the US...

And Ken - we gotta do some shopping for you, my friend! All your champions pictures are in the same shirt... or, maybe that's your LUCKY shirt... Very Happy Wink

lol....it's my hawaiian shirt. don't hate the shirt.....hate the player...or is it don't hate the player, hate the game? Mr. Green I guess it might be a little lucky Smile

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 07:09 PM

on the issue of sportsmanship, I really disliked having to judge people 1234 like that as I had 4 great games, one with the person I rode with (wonder who I put as number 1), a new guy, and a pair of good skaven coaches who gave me tough games. I didn't like the idea of putting the new guy down as number 4 because he is just getting into the game, he was a nice opponent, but the game wasn't as good as the other 3, but i don't want to discourge him from future games.
I understand not letting people score everyone; you feel like you have to give everyone the max points then.
I think the scale should be a little more even, or you should get like 40 points, distribute how you like between 5-15 points per opponent, or something, so you don't have to shaft someone.

majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 08:41 PM

United States of America
I like how RTT scoring is for these.

Every Game you vote on it.

1 Best Opponent ever
2 Solid enjoyable game
3 Rule Dogding, not a fun game.
4 Want to ambust the %&@%#&% in the parking lot

BBC Lockerroom

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 08:50 PM

Like I said though then you feel like you have to give the person you play a 4 every round, maybe it's different in BB than it is in other games though.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 09:49 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Been there, tried that .... had 6 coaches drop out of the tournament after the 1st round because they lost their first game which made it mathematically impossible for them to compete for gold ring.

That's got to do with the fact that you're talking GenCon, with lots of people (about 50) and not enough games played (only 4) to find a winner. In a standard North American tournaments with 20 people and 6 rounds, you could win the whole thing even with 2 losses.

GalakStarscraper wrote:
So I'll just say I agree and disagree with your opinion Zombie. In a perfect world yeah ... its a great idea. But BB coaches are not perfect people so the point system has to make it very difficult to catch up for a loss but possible. Just my personal belief on the matter. Otherwise, the non-die hards find better things to do with the rest of their day.

Again, that's only GenCon. In a normal tournament, win or lose, there is nothing better to do with the rest of your day.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 10:09 PM

United States of America
Anyone who doesn't stay until then end, unless they have some type of emergency should be banned from the next NAF event. That is just wrong. Not only does it screw up the next rounds games but it really brings down morale and shows that some people really don't play games to have fun.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 10:49 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      absent wrote:
I didn't like the idea of putting the new guy down as number 4 because he is just getting into the game, he was a nice opponent, but the game wasn't as good as the other 3, but i don't want to discourge him from future games.

IMO this is a huge problem. Coaches award sportsmanship based on the game - not their opponent's behaviour.

Also I don't like the RTT system - their are too few bands to really allow much differentiation and my own preference is for a simple maybe a 1-7 score (4 a "normal opponent", 7 and you want them to marry your sister) but only very low scores actually effect the overall tournament score (so you penalise bad sports). Then you have a separate prize for best sportsman too to reward the best sports out there.

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2004 - 11:14 PM

The better the game, the more fun it is, I assumed thats I should vote for who I had the most fun against. If I have to hold my opponents hand and point out 2 die blocks for him every turn to get through the turn... eh...I don't mind teaching someone to play, but not at a timed tournament.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2004 - 06:48 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

absent wrote:
I didn't like the idea of putting the new guy down as number 4 because he is just getting into the game.
Gave my first place marks to an opponent who was only playing his 2nd game of BB in his life. He needed help, but he was a great sport and the game was fun. So the newbie isn't always going to get nailed.

Like I said ... a small modification to the system so that your highest and lowest score are halved will help take care of any problem with that.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic