NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 05:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
New coach needed for Chaos All-Stars. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 08:58 PM

Undisclosed
      Disdane wrote:
Piling on, you would need to declare whether or not you are going to use this skill before rolling to break armor.

Why is this so? If I read the rule correctly, isn't this just a re-roll of the armour roll?

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 09:12 PM

Canada
Jeez, KL stop trying to hikack this thread! Wink

I think what he is suggesting is that the piling on would have to be declared before the armour roll. If you did not declare it, then the reroll would not be allowed. Correct?

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 08:43 AM

Undisclosed
Or they may be using the old version, where you can add your ST to the AV roll in order to break it.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 09:38 AM

KarlLagerbottom
Why is this so? If I read the rule correctly, isn't this just a re-roll of the armour roll?

It's our houserule that you must declare if you're going to use a skill before the outcome of any dice roll.

We simply feel it lesson's our decisions as coaches to play the way the current ruling is. Oh look Player A threw a block against Player B and got a Pow . Player A rolls 2d6 to break armor and rolls a 6 when he needed an 8. Well now Player A decides to now use Piling on since he knows it will break Player B's armor. Wow that was a tough choice to make.

Instead we use Player A must decide whether or not he will use Piling On before and armor roll is made. Actually making his coaching ability count for something. If he uses Piling on and still only rolls a 5 on 2d6 he didn't break Player B's armor and now his player is laying prone on the pitch for Player B's guy with Dirty Player to foul on his next turn.

The same thing can be said about Diving Tackle, Dirty Player and Kick. I understand this is not the official ruling and if I played in a sanctioned event I would have to follow the official rulings. We however enjoy making tougher choices as coaches than what the current ruling calls for.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 10:42 AM

I don't see it as making your choices tougher during gameplay as during skill choosing. If you get a skill choice, are you really going to take a skill you're probably not going to use? No! The only thing playing your way is going to do is cut the skill choices down and everyone's team will look the same. It hardly adds to the game.

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 10:59 AM

Really?

Kick skill - Place the ball, roll on kick off table, roll for scatter, then decide whether or not to use kick skill. Versus Place the ball, decide whether or not to use kick skill, roll on kick off table, roll for scatter. Let's say the ball scatters toward the scrimmage line does it matter if it scatters 3 or 6 hexes?

Diving Tackle - Wait to see if Player B's block will knock your player down before you decide whether or not to use Diving Tackle. Player B rolls a Pow so you then decide no wait let me use diving tackle to see if I knock you down or push you back since I now know you're going to knock me down.

Dirty Player - I'll wait and see if I break your armor with just a straight dice roll before I decide to use Dirty player to help break your armor or to injure you.

No, none of those things would change your decision.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 11:03 AM

Undisclosed
Um...

Diving Tackle is used when someone dodges away from you.

So, does you have to declare you'll use Dodge before you roll the dice? If so, that means you can only use it on the first dodge you attempt, wheter it's sucessful on the first dice roll or not. That's a gameplay change to me.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
House rule is a house rule, but that does not make it the propper or should I say official rule.

Kick skill you do not have to declare you are going to use it before any dice are tossed. If you say you have to do this in a house rule, do you then say your going to use your Dodge Skill before you roll the dice on a Dodge attempt?

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2004 - 12:04 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Darkson wrote:
So, does you have to declare you'll use Dodge before you roll the dice? If so, that means you can only use it on the first dodge you attempt, wheter it's sucessful on the first dice roll or not. That's a gameplay change to me.
Exactly what I was wondering Darkson.

If I have to announce I'm using Dodge before rolling the Dodge roll that would make Goblins and Halflings almost unplayable.

I've always considered the roll first and then apply skills rule of Blood Bowl one of the best changes made.

And Disdane ... you are using an old version of Piling On as well it would appear ... and definitely are using an old version of Diving Tackle.

Galak

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2004 - 02:16 PM

We still use Diving Tackle the way it was originally worded in Death Zone.

Diving Tackle - The player may use this skill if an opposing player enters his tackle zone. It allows the player to interrupt the oppenent's turn and throw a block at the moving player. The block is worked out using all the normal rules (both sides may use assists). If the opposing player is pushed back or knocked over, then their move ends immediately and they may not do anything else that turn, although their team does not suffer a turnover unless the player was holding the ball and drops it. Although a player using a Diving Tackle ends up on the ground for a moment, because it is a controlled fall he will not be injured and he will almost instantly regain his feet. Therefore the player is not knocked over when he uses the skill, unless he suffers an "attacker down" or "both players down" result on the Block dice.

The new version of Diving Tackle makes it an almost completely worthless skill.

As for declaring you are going to use the Dodge skill...

Dodge - A player with the Dodge skill is allowed to re-roll the dice if he fails to dodge out of an opposing player's tackle zone. However, the player may only re-roll one failed Dodge roll per team turn. In addition, the Dodge skill affects the results rolled on the Block dice, as explained in the Blocking rules in the Blood Bowl Handbook.

So it states Dodge skill is used after you have failed, Diving Tackle does not state you may use it after the opposing player has rolled a knock down on you. It says if an opposing player enters your tackle zone.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2004 - 03:24 PM

Disdane, you are obviously using tons of house rules. Listen to these guys, all skills are declared after the roll nowadaws. And all but diving tackle and piling on were declared after in the past.

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2004 - 06:36 PM

If you had read my earlier post I already stated they were our house rules. I just joined this board to see what was going on change wise with Bloodbowl and to see how others were playing the game. So far I'm in agreement with your signature.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2004 - 06:46 PM

United States of America
diving tackle is very useful against amazons. if you think diving tackle is worthless...you haven't seen it in action.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2004 - 06:48 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

gken1 wrote:
diving tackle is very useful against amazons. if you think diving tackle is worthless...you haven't seen it in action.

Man ... do i agree with that. I've seen a LOT of discussions that the new Diving Tackle is too power. Its the first skill that I give Halflings or Goblins to make a successful team. Shutting down dodgy teams is really useful.

Oh course ... you have to use the official rules which allow you to use Diving Tackle AFTER you see the dodge dice roll for it to be the great skill that it is.

Galak

fe2mikeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2004 - 03:04 PM

United States of America
      Quote:

Its the first skill that I give Halflings or Goblins to make a successful team. Shutting down dodgy teams is really useful.

I'll have to try that, I always took sidestep 1st.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic