NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where would we be without Mungk? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ZoarOffline
Post subject: Diving Catch Questions  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 - 01:35 AM

LRB2 p.34
      Quote:
Diving Catch
The player may use this skill if the ball was thrown to him and missed. It allows the player to move one square after the ball has scattered. This move is made after the ball has scattered, but before it hits the ground or can be caught.

The main question is:
A player with Catch and Diving Catch has a pass (either accurate or inaccurate) thrown to him, which lands in the square he is in. He fails the first attempt to catch the ball, then fails the second attempt to catch the ball using the Catch skill. Can he attempt to catch the ball a third time using his Diving Catch skill since the ball can only scatter one square away from him? This would seem to violate LRB2 p.15
      Quote:
VERY IMPORTANT: No matter how many re-rolls you have, or what type they are, you may never re-roll a single dice roll more than once.

Another Diving Catch question:
2. Can you use Diving Catch if the pass was accurate and the coach did not choose to use a re-roll (Catch skill, Pro skill, Team re-roll, Leader re-roll) to re-roll the initial failed catch?

I had always interpreted the Diving Catch skill as being used when an inaccurate pass (or Hail Mary Pass) happens to land in a square next to the intended receiver after scattering the mandatory three squares. But after a brief argument with another player in my league, I realize the wording from the Diving Catch skill quoted above may not support this interpretation. I based my argument on the fact that the move is made before the ball can be caught, so the skill could not be used once an attempt to catch the ball has been made. Any thoughts? Have there been any rulings or previous questions about this in the past?

-Zoar

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: Re: Diving Catch Questions  PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 - 03:10 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You can only Diving Catch an pass aimed at you (i.e. inaccurate or hail mary) - not a bouncing ball. So no to both your questions.

Its not a reroll, it just allows you to move to an adjacent square.

spreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 - 03:28 AM

Good question, made me think for a minute but it all comes down to the interpretation of the skill...the answer to your question is in the wording of diving catch. "The player may use this skill if the ball was thrown to him and missed" - this is referring to an inaccurate pass, it is not referring to a missed catch on an accurate pass.

Thus, the situation you propose is not possible..
* If the pass is accurate and the receiver fails to catch the ball twice (after Catch re-roll) then the ball will scatter, no Diving Catch allowed.
* If the pass is inaccurate the intended receiver can use Diving Catch skill to move one square.

Having said that I can see how the skill could be interpreted otherwise - "..if the ball was thrown to him and missed.". Does 'missed' refer to a missed pass or a missed catch or both. In my mind it's a missed pass.

Hmm...after having re-read the Diving Catch skill several times now I can see potential for cheese!! The player does not have to dive in the direction of the ball, the rule allows the player to dive in any direction they want. Has anyone used it in this way? Does this seem cheesy?

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 - 11:56 PM

spree wrote:
Hmm...after having re-read the Diving Catch skill several times now I can see potential for cheese!! The player does not have to dive in the direction of the ball, the rule allows the player to dive in any direction they want. Has anyone used it in this way? Does this seem cheesy?

This is absolutely correct. You can use it even if the ball is landing 3 squares away and you don't have to move closer to the ball. You might prefer to move out of a tackle zone by moving in the opposite direction. Or you might want to put TZs on an opponent. However, it is difficult to set up a situation in advance where this move away from the ball is any use, so its not excessively cheesy. Laughing

TysoniumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 12:27 AM

I would rule that this could not be done... to me the operant phrase is "or can be caught". If you made a Catch roll (even rerolled), then you "could have caught" it (even if you didn't).

Quote:
LRB2 p.34
Quote:
Diving Catch
The player may use this skill if the ball was thrown to him and missed. It allows the player to move one square after the ball has scattered. This move is made after the ball has scattered, but before it hits the ground or can be caught.

The main question is:
A player with Catch and Diving Catch has a pass (either accurate or inaccurate) thrown to him, which lands in the square he is in. He fails the first attempt to catch the ball, then fails the second attempt to catch the ball using the Catch skill. Can he attempt to catch the ball a third time using his Diving Catch skill since the ball can only scatter one square away from him? This would seem to violate LRB2 p.15

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 02:58 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You are selectively quoting. Its quite clear that the "can be caught" phrase refers to when the Diving Catch move takes place, not if the player is eligable to move.

This isn't that cheesy at all - you've almost certainly just turned over and only 1 player on your team is allowed to make a Diving Catch move.

TysoniumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 09:24 AM

I am not disagreeing with you but I don't see that this is a selective quote... the entire sentence supports that in this particular situation (failing to catch a ball then using DC to move underneath the bounce), it is not possible to use this skill. I merely pointed out the part of the sentence that in my opinion points out why this can't work. If you've tried to catch the ball already and failed, then the ball has hit the ground, since it could have been caught (but wasn't). The text on DC is very clear on that. It allows you to move while the ball is in the air/scattering, not after it has hit the ground either due to nobody being there or failed catch attempt.

I don't think the skill is cheesy at all. It's just that the way that I read it, by the time you've made your catch roll you've missed your Diving Catch window of opportunity (since you were in the right square in the first place, you didn't need it). I disagree that it would allow you a third attempt to catch the ball.

Quote:
You are selectively quoting. Its quite clear that the "can be caught" phrase refers to when the Diving Catch move takes place, not if the player is eligable to move.

This isn't that cheesy at all - you've almost certainly just turned over and only 1 player on your team is allowed to make a Diving Catch move.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 10:13 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Sorry I misread your post - you can't make a Diving Catch move after anyone has attempted to catch the ball.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2003 - 10:43 PM

United States of America
Here is the way we play it:
Roll for accuracy
if accurate you may catch the ball (or attempt to catch the ball)
if the catch fails and (rerolls fail) then it is a turn over scatter the ball 3 times
If the ball is inaccurate:
Scatter the ball 3 times
Diving catch player may move one square to try to catch the ball
caught or not it is still a turnover

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2003 - 02:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Roll for accuracy
if the catch fails and (rerolls fail) then it is a turn over scatter the ball 3 times
Scatter the ball 3 times

This isn't the official way to play it

• Make the pass
  • Inaccurate - roll D8 3 times for scatter
  • DC moves 1 square
  • Roll to catch or bounce ball

If the pass is accurate or fumbled you don't get to make a DC move.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2003 - 06:29 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

daloonieshaman wrote:
Roll for accuracy
Scatter the ball 3 times

Why??? .... not only does this really screw up a fun very official rule (ie the its not a turnover unless it comes to rest not in one of your player's hands rule), but it also makes Diving Catch a near worthless skill ... yuck! I'll take a big pass on your league's rules thanks.

Galak

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2003 - 09:01 AM

Okay, here's another situation. What if the inaccurate pass bounces back to the square where the catcher with Diving Catch is, but he misses the catch (even with the Catch skill re-roll), and the ball scatters one more square. Can you use Diving Catch then?

Chris

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 13, 2003 - 10:25 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
No, you can only use Diving Catch immediately after resolving where an inaccurate pass goes. Once the ball bounces or someone has made a catch attempt you can no longer use Diving Catch.

ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 10:57 AM

Reading all this I just want to double check: Can use DC if the ball was intended for someone else and due to inaccuracy (BUT BEFORE HITTING THE GROUND OR ANYONE ATTEMPTING TO CATCH IT) if DC would put you in a position to catch it? And also can you use it to intercept? And can it be used in conjunction with pass block?

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 11:32 AM

DC can only be used by the player the ball was thrown to. It isn't a defensive skill.

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic