NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 09, 2024 - 05:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
A knee in the groin is worth two in the face. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Simple Question...  PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 02:37 PM

Undisclosed
Hello All-
I think I have the answer to this, but wanted to get confirmation/validation from my esteemed colleagues. Smile

If you block someone and get a pushback result Pushback and the only valid square contains the ball...does the pushed-back player get a chance to pick up the ball before it scatters, or does it scatter automatically? (I think the player would get a shot at grabbing the ball.)

Further, I imagine that this would happen before a possible second frenzy block attempt correct?

Thanks in advance. -Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 02:45 PM

The ball scatters automatically. And this doesn't have to be the only square available. You can always choose the square where the ball is lying as one of the 3 empty squares.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Undisclosed
So the pushed back player...who is still standing...does not get a chance of picking up the ball?

My understanding is that when a standing player enters a square with the ball...they MUST attempt to pick it up.

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 02:55 PM

United States of America
This is an exception because they just got knocked into it and it immediately scatters.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 02:57 PM

Undisclosed
Ok guys...thanks for the clarification.

-Rob

P.S. Hey wait a minute...from a certain perspective I was just assisted by Rob Zombie. Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 03:18 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
My understanding is that when a standing player enters a square with the ball...they MUST attempt to pick it up.

When the active player enters the square containing the ball he must try to pick it up. Under any other circumstance the ball scatters.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 04:32 PM

But then you have to define active player. And if your definition includes the moving team, this makes your statement false, since someone doing a pass block action can also pick up the ball.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 05:31 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Zombie wrote:
But then you have to define active player. And if your definition includes the moving team, this makes your statement false, since someone doing a pass block action can also pick up the ball.

Pass Blockers can't pick up the ball, as it isn't on the ground Wink

Shadowers can't either as the can only move into the square occupied by the player being followed. It can't contain the ball as any pickup would be resolved after the shadowing move.

A thrown team mate could land on the ball. He's inactive - and I'd interpret that as forcing a scatter. I believe Galak thinks this is incorrect and needs a FAQ.

XeterogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 08:05 PM

Texas
I guess I've always thought the active player was the player currently taking an action (Move, Block, Blitz, Foul, Pass, Handoff)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 10:25 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
      Zombie wrote:

Pass Blockers can't pick up the ball, as it isn't on the ground Wink

You've got me there. Although in a Death bowl game, with two balls in play, he could!

Doubleskulls wrote:
Shadowers can't either as the can only move into the square occupied by the player being followed. It can't contain the ball as any pickup would be resolved after the shadowing move.

Can you use shadowing after a failed dodge? From the description of shadowing, there's nothing that forbids it. If you can, then the ball could scatter in the square you're moving to.

Doubleskulls wrote:
A thrown team mate could land on the ball. He's inactive - and I'd interpret that as forcing a scatter. I believe Galak thinks this is incorrect and needs a FAQ.

I would say that's a scatter, but only because he's too busy landing to care about the ball at that time.

BevanOffline
Post subject: Moving onto the ball  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2004 - 03:19 AM

I always thought it depended on whether the movement onto the ball was voluntary or involuntary.

So a pushed player can never attempt to pick up the ball (even if sidestepping), but a pass block or shadowing player could (if there happened to be a spare ball there to pick up). I would also allow a thrown player to pick up the ball where he lands since he is being thrown voluntarily. Laughing

If we allow extra balls in play a diving catch player could also pick up a ball although the one that was thrown to him is still in the air. Rolling Eyes

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 - 12:08 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Zombie wrote:

Can you use shadowing after a failed dodge? From the description of shadowing, there's nothing that forbids it. If you can, then the ball could scatter in the square you're moving to.

Wouldn't you resolve the Shadowing move before any pickup or scatter of the ball?

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 - 02:15 AM

Not sure. Again, i don't think the rules say either way. You're probably right, since following up after a block must be done before scatters, but this is a different case, and could just as well be ruled otherwise.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 01, 2005 - 09:22 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'd say the shadow would have to be first.

In the situation where someone moved to the square containing the ball you'd expect a successful shadow to impose a -1 on the pick up. I don't see why a failed dodge & successful shadow would be handled in a different sequence.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic