NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 03:18 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Take one for the team rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Seekrit Wepunz  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Canada
Having re-read the rules in the LRB for the goblin secret weapons, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the secret weapon have to be on the pitch for a drive in order to be booted out? Meaning - could a secret weapon be held in reserve but then booted out even though it was never played?

2) In reading the rules for the bombs, it seems that there would be nothing stopping a player from intentionally throwing a bomb to a team-mate (possibly to increase his range - by throwing to the team mate - who, if successfully caught, would throw it again on a 4+). Is there something I am missing?

So then what about handing it off? (E.g. the bomber is in one or more tackle zones, but can light the bomb and then hand it off to another player who is not in any). Can this be done? Would the bomber have to make the 2+ roll to avoid premature detonation and then the receiver a 4+ to throw it again?

Thanks for the help,

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Reply with quote Back to top
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Undisclosed
A couple of associated questions...

1. Can an empty square be targeted by the Bombadier?
2. Is this an action performed by the Bombadeir that is resolved like a pass, OR is this the team's pass action for the turn?
3. Is there any restriction to the length of the throw, or can it be at the range of the entire range ruler?
4. Do skills like Strong Arm, Pass, or Catch effect these throws? (Yes I know the Bomber doesn't have and can't get these...the question is assuming that a secondary player makes a throw or interception is attempted by someone with one of these skills.)

Oh Boy is this great!!!! Mr. Green
-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Canada
I know you love these "cut and paste" sessions - so here goes!

KarlLagerbottom wrote:

1. Can an empty square be targeted by the Bombadier?

Simply put, yes. The idea would be that you toss to the empty square so that the opposition cannot try to throw it back - then you would hope for it favourably scatter.

KarlLagerbottom wrote:

2. Is this an action performed by the Bombadeir that is resolved like a pass, OR is this the team's pass action for the turn?

I would think that it is it's own special action - call it a "bombing" action, and should not count for the team's pass this turn. Also any subsequent throws (of the tossed bomb) are done outside of normal play.

KarlLagerbottom wrote:

3. Is there any restriction to the length of the throw, or can it be at the range of the entire range ruler?

Well stunties do add one band to the range of their throws. I would think that the same applies for this. I would say that you could throw as far as you can (ruler with modifications)!

KarlLagerbottom wrote:

4. Do skills like Strong Arm, Pass, or Catch effect these throws? (Yes I know the Bomber doesn't have and can't get these...the question is assuming that a secondary player makes a throw or interception is attempted by someone with one of these skills.)

I wouldn't see why not. In fact if somebody is feeling a little daring, they may even try Diving Catch to get it from an empty square and have a chance at lobbing it out.

But now I have a couple more questions about this.....

1) Do you get the interception SPP points for intercepting a thrown bomb?

2) Is it only on a natural "1" that the bomb will go off prematurely, or will a modified "1" do it as well (for tackle zones, range, etc.)

Spazz Twisted Evil Orc

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 01:05 PM

Undisclosed
Funny you should ask about the modified rolls...I was considering the impacts of NOS. Smile

I guess the Gobbos can add Nurgle's Rotters to the teams that are not an ideal opponent. Smile

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2005 - 01:42 PM

Canada
Well IMO the premature explosion should only be on a natural "1". After that the roll to throw the ball can be modified which may result in the fumble which will have much the same effect anyways.

Spazz

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 06:49 AM

England
I think that it is the teams pass action, as there is no special bombardier action and that's also the case for TTM.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Canada
Good point....

Ach! But how much do the gobbos throw the ball anyways? Orc

Spazz

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2005 - 09:45 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Most of the Bomb questions are answered by the part in the rules that says throwing the Bomb is worked out in the same way as throwing the ball.

Never thought of throwing one to a teamate. Can't see anything wrong with that could be pretty interesting.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 06:35 AM

Canada
      Xtreme wrote:
Most of the Bomb questions are answered by the part in the rules that says throwing the Bomb is worked out in the same way as throwing the ball.

Okay but my big question is that it says that players can "interecept" the bomb, but would they get SPPs for doing do?

Spazz

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 07:37 AM

England
I'd assume so. An interception is an interception as far as I'm concerned. And you do get completions for accurate and caught dump offs so there is a parallel precedent.

FrancescoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 08:08 PM

You don't take spp for intercepting the bomb.
You can throw in an empty square.
Is the passing action for the turn.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 06:05 AM

Canada
Okay, here is one that has been posed to me:

If a player has multiple bombers ont he pitch, can he throw multiple bombs in a turn?

My initial reaction would be yes. This is not a pass action, and there is nothing in the rules stating that you cannot, so I would tend to lean this way. Also, if somebody is crazy enought to field that many bombetrs, then he is not necessarily somebody I want to cross! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Thoughts?

Spazz

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 10:25 AM

United States of America
I guess my first question is where does it say you can have 4 bombardiers in the LRB? Wink

I'm betting it doesn't, which is why this question isn't answered. I know the gnomish roster is the source of the question, but you're no allowing all of the MBBL2 rosters so I don't see why you'd want to allow 4 bombardiers.

Even the new secret weapons rules from Fanatic Magazine #6 limit bombardiers to 0-1 per gobbo team (although it still just says it's done using the rules for throwing the football).

My 2 copper.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 10:28 AM

Canada
Thanks Mel,

I guess that clear it up! Only One bombadier means only one bomb per turn! Simple!

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Canada
Just cracking open the rule book for some of these...

Quote:
1) Does the secret weapon have to be on the pitch for a drive in order to be booted out? Meaning - could a secret weapon be held in reserve but then booted out even though it was never played?

The last paragraph in the rules for Secret Weapons (before the rules on each type) says that "Note you must make a Penalty Roll for a secret weapon if the player carying it has been on the field." So if the guy stays in the box, hes clear.

Quote:
2) In reading the rules for the bombs, it seems that there would be nothing stopping a player from intentionally throwing a bomb to a team-mate (possibly to increase his range - by throwing to the team mate - who, if successfully caught, would throw it again on a 4+). Is there something I am missing?

I don't see why they couldn't. A) they're taking a risk with the bomb going off in their players hands (and causing a turnover if I'm not mistaken) and b) If I catch the bomb, theres no rule that says I have to throw it back at the bomber, I can go and toss it down field into some other player if I want.

Quote:

I think this should be resolved like a pass, not use the pass action. If you look at the throw team mate skill, (the only other situation where something other than the ball is thrown) specifically says that it counts as your teams Pass Action, while the Bomb rules don't.

Quote:
1) Do you get the interception SPP points for intercepting a thrown bomb?

In my heart I'd say no, as it doesn't seem to follow the spirit of the rules, but the rules seem to say yes, so I guess thats a good one.

Quote:
2) Is it only on a natural "1" that the bomb will go off prematurely, or will a modified "1" do it as well (for tackle zones, range, etc.)

the roll is to light the fuse, its a straight up 2+ roll required, no modifiers. If the bomb is fumbled on the throw, well, hopefully the bombers got the duck and cover skill.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic