NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 04, 2024 - 11:20 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Inside every Troll, ders a lil gobo trying da get out. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject: Bombardiers & lighting the fuse  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 06:36 AM
Da Warboss

England
The rules for the bomb secret weapon state that when lighting the fuse a player cannot move and must make a 2+ roll. The fuse is then lit and the bomb can be thrown.

However, it doesn't say that the bomb MUST be thrown - is it possible to light the fuse on one turn and then move & throw the lit bomb on another?

Also, Bomba Dribblesnot has Accurate. While this definitely counts for throwing the ball, does it count for throwing the bomb too? I'm sure that was the intention but it's not stated for sure anywhere.

Finally... none of the Secret Weapon Gobbos have Stunty. Although this means they cannot dodge quite so well, do you agree it also means no +1 modifier to injury rolls?

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Bombardiers & lighting the fuse  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 07:13 AM

Canada
      Indigo wrote:
However, it doesn't say that the bomb MUST be thrown - is it possible to light the fuse on one turn and then move & throw the lit bomb on another?

Seeing as the bomb is lit and then blows up on the same turn, I would not want to hold on to it!

Indigo wrote:
Also, Bomba Dribblesnot has Accurate. While this definitely counts for throwing the ball, does it count for throwing the bomb too? I'm sure that was the intention but it's not stated for sure anywhere.
I would assume that this is the case.

Indigo wrote:
Finally... none of the Secret Weapon Gobbos have Stunty. Although this means they cannot dodge quite so well, do you agree it also means no +1 modifier to injury rolls?

Stunty injuries are a racial thing - you just have to live with it - they do not get the dodge bonus because of the weapon that they carry - that should not rule out injuries.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 07:29 AM
Da Warboss

England
The injury modifier is definitely a stunty-characteristic only thing - I just wanted someone to agree with me!

Also, it doesn't state the bomb will explode in the same turn it's lit, hence my question Wink

NAF #60

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Canada
      Indigo wrote:
Also, it doesn't state the bomb will explode in the same turn it's lit, hence my question Wink

Jeez Indigo, do you have your degree in law, or is lawyering just a hobby? Wink

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 09:12 AM
Da Warboss

England
lol point taken, but having the ability to light the bomb then move it to where you really need it would be VERY handy Wink

since most tourneys don't allow stars I want to get full use out of them when I do get to finally use them!

NAF #60

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Undisclosed
I would like to hear from an authority on the stunty deal. (No offense Indigo/Spazz.) However, Stunty is a racial charatceristic that is applied in two areas...dodging and injuries. If a player does not have stunty, how can you assume that half of it still applies?

Consider, Deeproot as an example...Take Root is a racial Characteristic that applies to Treemen that does not apply to him...I think that sets a precedent that certain members of a given race can lose characteristics of their race.

---

IMO This sort-of sets up an interesting distinction for how secret weapons can be used in Tournament Play. IF Star Players are allowed, then that explains how Secret Weapons are used. However, in those tourneys where Secret Weapons are used as upgrades to a normal Gobbo. (By paying for the Gobblin and the Weapon seprately.) The Star Player Secret Weapon appears to lose his stunty...meanwhile the Gobbo SW upgrade is a normal goblin (Including Stunty) that is using a secret weapon.

See what I am saying? -Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 10:22 AM

England
I think now that the +1 to injury is part of stunty, rather than some separate special rule for Gobbos/'flings etc, the +1 to injury only applies if the player has stunty listed as one of his skills.

If you want to keep the +1 to injure on secret weapon players but prevent them using the ignore-tackle-zones-when-dodging part of stunty then the wording needs to be changed and stunty needs to be added to those players.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 10:32 AM

Canada
      Indigo wrote:
lol point taken, but having the ability to light the bomb then move it to where you really need it would be VERY handy Wink

I could see how that would be useful...... Hmmm..... I think that I'd better leave this one to the "higher powers".

As for secret weapons, Q'ermitt does allow them!

Spazz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 10:55 AM

Undisclosed
Spazz-
What is the ruling for your tourney as far as the Stunty skill is concerned? Will the SW Gobbos have the same profile as the star player Gobs, or do they have Stunty like a normal Gobbo?

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 12:00 PM

Canada
Like I said to Indigo above, I read it before that the secret weapon is too cumbersome to allow them to slip through the legs of other players like a regular stunty, but given that they are still gobbos, they will still take the +1 injury roll.

Spazz

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Undisclosed
Spazz-
That's awful FLUFFY of you. Smile It might also be hypothesized that only the sturdiest of Gobbos can mount a pogo stick, wield a chainsaw, or carry a bag of bombs. And the Ball & Chain...well I think the Fungus Brew explains what???s going on there. Smile

But it is your Tourney...and the rules are the rules. Smile

King Fling & Royal Pain ??? RobO

EDIT: Looking again at the chainsaw rules states that if a player with a chainsaw falls over for any reason he adds +3 to the injury roll against. Does that mean that a Goblin with a chainsaw adds +4 to the roll? Given that the only player in LRB 4 that can carry a chainsaw is a Goblin...I'd say that +3 is the modifier. However, this also lends itself to the argument that these players should not be stunty...otherwise might it not include a comment regarding stunty players and chainsaws?

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 03:58 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
None of the Goblin SW stars have stunty. So stunty doesn't apply and no +1 to injury. Under 3rd ed the +1 was listed under gobbo teams so did apply, this is no longer the case.

Karl - Chainsaws effect Av, not injury, and is cumulative with Claw or MB.

I'd say you can carry a lit bomb, because there is a sentence "If a
player holding a lit bomb falls over for any reason then the bomb will scatter one square and then explode as described below". How else could you fall over since you can't move if you must throw the bomb?

Accurate does count for throwing the bomb.

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
I'd say you can carry a lit bomb, because there is a sentence "If a player holding a lit bomb falls over for any reason then the bomb will scatter one square and then explode as described below". How else could you fall over since you can't move if you must throw the bomb?

It is possible this sentence is left over from the period when the opposing coach could whip out a card (or wizard) in the middle of a players action, causing them to be knocked over without even moving. I don't have an old enough rule book handy to see if this sentence has always been there.

The current rules says "A coach may choose to have a Bombardier throw a bomb instead of taking any other action. The bombardier is not allowed to move when he throws a bonb because he needs to stand still in order to light the fuse."

It has been argued that he cannot move while lighting the fuse but could move (with the bomb) in a later turn. However, the "bomb-throwing" action appears to be an action that is different from all other actions and is definitely not an action that includes movement.

So I would argue that
(a) this action is not complete until the bomb explodes, and
(b) the player cannot move during a "bomb throwing action".

If you over-rule (a) then option (b) might allow a bomber to use a "bomb" action to light a fuse, use a move action the next turn, then use a "bomb-throwing action, without moving, on the following turn.

It would be interesting to see what happens to the bomber if he stands around for several turns, possibly moving on some turns, while holding a fizzing bomb. Possibly he should use the interceptor's D4+ roll at the start of each turn to see if it has gone off yet. Twisted Evil

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 07:22 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You know what, I think I agree. It is a hangover from the cards or old style spells. IMO the intent of the rules is that you must throw that turn.

The wording however is debatable - "On a roll of 2 to 6 he gets the fuse to light and may throw the bomb." etc.

It would be nice if someone went throught the whole LRB and indicated all uses of the word "may" and ensure that they consistently mean "something can be done, but isn't mandatory" rather than indicating that the criteria have been fulfilled to do something.

Lets face it technical authors know this and write in an appropriate style, GW don't.

So you can pretty much house rule/clarify/interpret this one how you want.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Canada
Also,

Can a wizard not use a spell to interrupt a player's movement? Thereby knocking a player downafter the fuse is lit?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic