NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:13 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
One, reroll, one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DysartesOffline
Post subject: Running a non-scheduled League  PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 03:34 AM

OK, here's a question - I'm starting a gaming club up within the next month, and one of the things I want to get up and running is a yearly BB league, with a set of "play-offs" at the end of the year, possibly with a prize.

So, time for the question - what's the best way to work such a league? I doubt people are going to want to play scheduled games each week or fortnight, so what is (in people's experience) the best way to work such a league? Is there even a way to make it viable?

Reply with quote Back to top
WolfhowlOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 09:21 AM

I would say the best way is just to have people play who they want, when they want, but have all the results truned over to a "Record Keeper", so you can keep track of everyone's standings.

Good luck, and have fun.

DysartesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 09:41 AM

The standings part is the tricky bit - what if someone joins in halfway through the year? Odds are there's going to be very little chance of them catching up again.

Should that even be a worry?

WolfhowlOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 09:54 AM

If you used the percentage of wins for each team.

Say the person who joined late played 5 games and won 4 of them (80%) would be better standing then someone who has played 20 games and won 12 of them (60%).

might work.

majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 10:48 AM

United States of America
or just have everyone make it to the playoffs Smile

BBC Lockerroom

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 02:28 PM

England
Taking the percentage of wins is not a good way. A team could then play one game, win and be an automatic for a quarter final position. Basically the longer a team plays the more likely they are to lose a game and wreck their win % compared to the team that's played only a few but won them all.

I would recommend that you either do what the BB handbook said, which was have every team submit their best three games and use those to select who goes through.

Personally I'd use their best three games to seed the teams into a knock out stage. So for example if you had seven teams wanting to go into the knock out stage you'd have 6 play each other for a place in the semis (2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 7th etc) and the top team would go straight through.

OdysseusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 14, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I like the challenge ladder at REBBL. I think PBeMBBL and the MBBL are similar. Works well for leagues with 10/12 plus teams. Also REBBL's rule about not being able to challenge more 25 TR's below yours is good too.

http://www.rebbl.com

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
WolfhowlOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2005 - 07:47 AM

Mordredd wrote:
Taking the percentage of wins is not a good way. A team could then play one game, win and be an automatic for a quarter final position. Basically the longer a team plays the more likely they are to lose a game and wreck their win % compared to the team that's played only a few but won them all.

The flip side to that is the more games a team plays, the more skills they earn, thus the better chance they have when the play off's roll around, but I do see your point.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2005 - 09:25 AM

England
I was once in a league that used win percentage to rank the teams with no cup (we had a separate knock out cup going in parallel). Teams could play each other once only and had to play a minimum number of games to try to minimise the effect. But we had one team play the minimum 6 against the softest teams going and win them all and then just stop playing. Several other teams played the maximum (about 14 IIRC) but lost a game or two so ranked below this team. It was very annoying.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Undisclosed
We used:

(w*100/g)+(d*50/g)+(TD difference)+(no. of Cas caused/3 [rounded down])
where w is wins, d is draws (as we don't have time for OT) and g is games played.

We also had a rule that you had to play a minimum of 6 games to be considered for the play-offs, but no-one tried the "sit out and wait" ploy, as we all wanted to play.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 17, 2005 - 12:55 PM

Be creative with it and have fun. Set a minimum # of games to qualify (say 5 or 6). I wouldn't worry about someone finding a loophole like playing only the 6 weakest players or something. How much fun can someone have if they are strategically not playing games? Their team will not advance past the first round of the playoffs when they start playing real competition.

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 17, 2005 - 02:07 PM

We use an Excel sheet with the same ranking calculations as the NAF rankings use - but for average length seasons I think the results are pretty similar if you use something like +10 for winning -10 for losing. That ranks by Win% but a player with 6/8 wins will be ranked above a player with 3/4.

We're a small league so we run the league and cup seperately and let everyone qualify for the cup on straight knock out with wildcard rounds if necessary. Consistent teams are more likely to win the league but there's plenty of scope for upsets in the cup.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, if you're not using fixtures there will always be a way for someone to choose games to their advantage - just have to hope that your players are above that and use peer pressure in shaming any that prove not to be.

Boom! He's on his back!

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2005 - 03:38 PM

Mordredd wrote:

You could have a rule such that you must play a minimum number of games before this percentage is valid. Therefore, a win or loss afterwards makes less of a difference, and a 100% win percentage is unlikely.

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2005 - 07:12 PM

England
Er garth...
      Mordredd wrote:
I was once in a league that used win percentage to rank the teams with no cup (we had a separate knock out cup going in parallel). Teams could play each other once only and had to play a minimum number of games to try to minimise the effect. But we had one team play the minimum 6 against the softest teams going and win them all and then just stop playing. Several other teams played the maximum (about 14 IIRC) but lost a game or two so ranked below this team. It was very annoying.
...did you miss this? Wink

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2005 - 01:26 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
in BUBBLE we play open .. the ranking counts eight games minimum ..and if you've played less the other ones count as being lost ..

apart from that you get bonus points if you raw or beat teams with a higher TR (1 point per handicap in the case of victory)

it works pretty good .. most especially the long term rating as more and more teams play a lot mor ehtan eight matches ..

It also works as I as a commish asighn the matches for our league nights . .that way there is no running away for that scary Chaos team ...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic