NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:09 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Who remembers Dirty Player? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject: NAF Champion Trophy mini: Brainstorming thread:  PostPosted: Aug 01, 2005 - 07:03 PM
Former President

England
Ok, first of all I'd like to thank everybody who's contributed so far! Some excellent stuff indeed.

What I'd like to do is a bit of brainstorming, see what's popular, see what's practical, chuck in suggestions etc. I've tried to roughly collate what we've got so far into some options, after a bit of discussion we'll run some polls, get rid of some least popular options, then maybe invite some secondary sketches with a sharper focus on what we want to end up with.
Something to consider at this point is that what we need is something that's one piece, a standalone trophy. Maybe a lid that sits on or something is ok, but we want to be handling out trophies to tourney winners, as opposed to multi-parted self assembly kits in a bag.

So before we run a poll, thoughts on the following invited and welcomed..are there any options we need to add?

1: Ball Design: A decent size would be both expensive to cast and expensive to ship in metal, might be more practical in resin..

2: Helmet Design: I should imagine an open face helmet would be difficult to cast, if it solid then it's gonna be a bit like the ball.

3.Basic Shield:

4. Shield/Ball combo?

5. Figure(s), holding aloft or incorporating Shield?

6. Traditional Cup, possibly with a separate lid?

These last options really overrun each other somewhat:

8. Trophy based around large shield:

9. Trophy based around ball:

10. Hand/Spiked glove holding something aloft, could be a ball as in the option 9 pic, or maybe a large shield, or helmet as below?

Any options/combinations suggested for addition?
Discuss for a few days and we'll run a poll, see what's popular and unpopular, narrow the focus..

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 01:21 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I think it'd be nice to make a trophy that fits in with the 4 other existing BB trophy's style and looks wise.

personally I think that a design similar to options 6/9/10 come closest to that

where's option #7 btw Wink

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 02:32 AM

I agree that the simple ball or helmet design will end up being too big for metal, and I'd rather see a smaller trophy than one cast in resin.

I've told Woody this already but I really would like it to fit onto a standard 25mm base. Woody also wants it to be 50mm ish tall, which is bigger than the current GW trophies. This leads me to a trophy design which is quite narrow and tall, not a bad thing as it will probably be easier to cast and use less metal than a bulker deisgn.

I think this leads us to one of 3, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10 as feasible design ideas.

I think 3 and 7 are very similar, some sort of plinth to mount the NAF shield on. I think this would work but might be a little dull IMO

5 would require a single figure, holding the NAF shield (seems the only logical thing) above his/her head. This as the advantage that if the scale of the figure is kept at 28mm then you could paint it up as a player holding a trophy, or as a sculpted trophy at a different scale.

6 is probably the safest bet as everyone will recognise it as a trophy, there are many options and if this is the most popular then a lengthy discussion will take place Wink . Unfortunatly even though I love the idea I think 3 handles is not feasible with a single piece cast (I wait to be corrected)

9 and 10 would make for good trophies, but I think all the designs need some work to make them castable.

Sorry a rushed reply and for any **** spelling/typing etc I'm late for work and can't post from work anymore Crying or Very sad

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 02:42 AM

Netherlands
Open helmets shouldn't be that difficult to cast. They're open, after all. If you can stick a head in, you can stick a mould in. A simple 3 part mould can do the job. Of course that probably means it's going to be a bit more expensive, and have more flash, but it's not impossible

I've never been a fan of the BB trophy style myself, so contrary to Dave's opinion, I like the plain shield/helmet idea. Keeping it simple without too much rubbish. So 2a and 3 have my preference. But then, I'm never going to win one of them thingies, so don't listen to me Wink

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 05:11 AM

England
The ball could be made hollow in two pieces. I know you want to hand out whole trophies but if you can't trust the tourney organiser to glue it together before presenting it then you could have them glued together before they're dispatched that far down the chain. It shouldn't be too big a job. I also don't have a problem with resin being used instead of metal. I think that the trophy will need painting either way whatever material we end up using.

As for preference, I'd prefer to see something that embodies something significant about the NAF (fluff wise or in real life) than that it conforms to some notion of what a trophy should or should not be or that it's simple rather than complex. So in terms of broad concept the basic shield (3) is the only one I'm against, because it is just a shield and doesn't say anything further about what the trophy is for.

Mick MoonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 06:12 AM

an other option could be an oversized BB-Blockdice maybe in gold.
Maybe on a wooden base with gravure which contains
name of tourny, country and year.

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Netherlands
      Mordredd wrote:
So in terms of broad concept the basic shield (3) is the only one I'm against, because it is just a shield and doesn't say anything further about what the trophy is for.
It's got a spiked ball on it and the tourney/year can be written on the base.

Besides, an NAF trophy shouldn't be an excuse for a TO not to arrange for a "proper" price. It just shows you've won an NAF sanctioned tournament.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 08:53 AM

England
That's not exactly what I meant.

The idea behind the Dark Elf cheerleaders with the representation of the NAF treasury was that it marked a key event in the (fluff) NAFs history. As such it is more than just some cool looking trophy.

Similarly you could have a "Roze-El Bowl" trophy decorated with a scene memorialising the Dwarf who was the first NAF commissioner and the translator of the original BB rules. Again that would be more than just a cool looking trophy too.

That???s what I was trying to get at; it should be about something more than just being nice to look at.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 09:09 AM

United States of America
Well, you could always go with The Hand of Roze-El (the trophy from The Beantown Brouhaha), but I don't think we can use any GW terms.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 09:21 AM

England
We can't use any GW art or registered names. If the art is original would they complain over the name and is "Roze-El" registered like that?

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Undisclosed
Isn't Nuffle a registered trademark of GW?

N.A.F.

NAF Member #5236
---

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Netherlands
From their alphabetic list:
      Code:
Necromunda,
Necromunda stencil logo,
Necromunda Plate logo,
Necron, Nurgle,
the Nurgle device
So that's OK, but the ball in this logo on the official BB site might be something to worry about

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 12:44 PM

United States of America
Hmm...Roze-El isn't in their copywritten list. I thought it would be taboo to submit it, but it looks like it's ok.

Here's The Hand of Roze-El, if we want to consider that Very Happy

and the fluff:
Deep within the caverns of Kul-Dor lays the fabled Hand of Roze-El. Secreted away for decades, the Hand lay dormant. But, knowledge of the Hand could not be contained indefinitely and has surfaced at long last. Orcs, dwarves, goblins, elves, men, and even the living dead have begun to gather their armies in hopes of acquiring the ancient artifact through force of arms.

The region stood upon the brink of war.

Desperate to stave off the destruction of his homeland, The Keeper of the Hand called for a Council of Generals. Facing certain death should his gambit not work, he approached the varied rulers and whispered a single word.

"Tournament?"

Delighted with the idea and each certain of his own team's victory, the warlords commanded Melifaxis to arrange for a tournament worthy of their vast domains.

Who will emerge the victor, grasping the fabled Hand of Roze-El? Will it be you?

Whether the relic is the actual hand of Roze-El has been the source of countless debate among Blood Bowl historians. One group firmly believes the Hand to be that of the fabled priest that the dwarf Roze-El named himself after, while another group firmly believes it to be the hand of the dwarf himself, still many more believe it to be something entirely different...

One thing is for certain. Whosoever possesses the Hand reigns supreme upon the pitch!

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Last edited by Melifaxis on Aug 02, 2005 - 02:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Undisclosed
I think that the Desert Kings have a Copyright on that.

I also believe that there is a pending litigation against some sort of voodoo for infringement of aforementioned trophy.

---

P.S. I dig the fact that the Heat is such a factor at your tourney Mel...I bet next year scarabs will be running around at Harvard Square.

NAF Member #5236
---

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 02, 2005 - 02:01 PM

United States of America
The Desert Kings don't have squat. Some Kinda Voodoo holds the Hand now. Very Happy

Although both have their names enscribed on it now for all time. The heat is good for the ladies attire in Havard Square. Perhaps I should plug that to get more attendees, alas we are way off topic.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic