NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:16 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Toot Toot rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject: Strip Ball vs. Sure Hands  PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 - 07:44 AM

I know, I know. The topic makes you say "It doesn't work!". Well, I'm here to make sure about that.

I already know that I do not ever have to use a skill just because I have it. If someone rolls a Both Down I can simply not use Block and fall down. Or I can opt not to use Tackle on a dodging opponent. Easy.

The problem comes in from the description of Sure Hands. It says "In addition, the Strip Ball skill will not work against a player with this skill." (LRB v4.0 p37). It doesn't say anything about having to use it, and sounds more like having the words "Sure Hands" in my Skills & Traits column makes me invulnerable at all times.

The only reason these hairs are getting split is because this situation happened in my league two days ago. An Orc player Blitzed a Dwarf Runner and used Strip Ball. He rolled the d8 because the Dwarf player didn't declare using Sure Hands. I looked it up and pointed out that it just shouldn't work and he disagreed. Who's right?

[EDIT]
Also, I'm not gonna write a whole new post for this, but do Liche Priests still get the 2+ saving throw on a player? I can't find it in the book anymore. And can you re-hire dead Blitz- and Thro-ra's? Thanks.
[/EDIT]

Reply with quote Back to top
dmchaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 - 08:39 PM

I can't tell you who's RIGHT, because as you pointed out yourself the skill description says "Strip Ball WILL NOT work against a player with this skill". So it doesnt *seem* this is a Skill you need to "declare" using, but I'm not 100%.

Of course, by rolling a d8 to scatter the ball, I can tell you which of those two coaches is an @5$#0|3. Anyone in their right mind WOULD use the skill unless it was some far out, weird situation where dropping the ball would be beneficial, and as the opposing coach you should assume the other player would want to retain the ball.

I play golf, where a rule in the rulebook states "A player may be DQ'd for willful circumvention of the rules". BloodBowl needs a rule like that for coaches like this one. Evil or Very Mad

TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 20, 2005 - 09:06 PM

Actually, the coach with Sure Hands probably forgot he had it in reference to the skill, because he was frustrated at losing the game and wasn't focused anymore. But yeah, I see your point.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 - 09:43 AM

I always assume the skill is "turned on" unless the other player declares he's NOT using it. The guy who was rolling for scatter should have had his nose flattened. What a twat.

Not sure about your last question but regen is a 4+ and the head coach automatically ressurects a dead player as a Zombie for his own team if he's not apothecaried by the opponent. He still works even if he's been ejected. Was that what you meant.

dmchaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 - 02:50 PM

i watched an entire game where a friend playing dwarves was exploiting the fact that his opponent didnt understand how tackle worked.... allowing his players with dodge to be knocked over if an ASSISTING player had tackle, even if the blocker didnt have it. I thought maybe both players were confused, and it wasn't my game so i didnt rules lawyer over it... but it turned out I should have, since the dwarf player KNEW they were playing tackle wrong, but since he was benefitting from his opponent's misunderstanding, he wasn't correcting him. He almost got a shot to the mouth from me there, and it wasn't even my game. That's just uncool, and extremely unsportsmanlike.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 - 04:22 PM

I totally agree.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 - 09:24 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Deliberately playing the rules wrong is cheating. I'd award the win to his opponent and kick him out if he does something similar again.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: Re: Strip Ball vs. Sure Hands  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2005 - 09:29 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      TrentBrooks wrote:
The only reason these hairs are getting split is because this situation happened in my league two days ago. An Orc player Blitzed a Dwarf Runner and used Strip Ball. He rolled the d8 because the Dwarf player didn't declare using Sure Hands. I looked it up and pointed out that it just shouldn't work and he disagreed. Who's right?

Shocked You are right , he's a moronic d***head.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 06:22 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
I always assume the skill is "turned on" unless the other player declares he's NOT using it. The guy who was rolling for scatter should have had his nose flattened. What a twat.

Exactly how I feel. Mad

slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 12:46 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
About the liche priest:
Regenerate is 4+ for any player including khemri, they do not have a special sving throw.
You may not rehire a 'dead' (more like broken beyond repair) blitz-ra or thro-ra.
If he is dead he is dead.
You may buy a new one though.

And khemri is not allowed to use raise the dead (they may not use a wizard at all)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 05:29 AM

I wasn't sure if I could buy a new one. Back when they were official but not in the LRB, there was this sentence about killing them would break their magic helmet or somesuch thing. It's good to know they don't go away completely.

I know Regenerate is a 4+ and they all have it, but I remember reading somewhere that Liche Priests don't get to Raise the Dead, but instead got one 2+ saving throw just like an apothecary. I just don't know if that's still an official rule or not.

slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 06:17 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
The saving throw rule for the liche priest is not official.
See LRB page 28.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 10:40 AM

Undisclosed
This sort of raises an interesting question for me...if you are playing undead and have a skeleton die...can he be raised as a Zombie?

Or can the Necromancer only raise enemy dead?

-RobO

EDIT: Oh thats right...Regen players can't be raised.

NAF Member #5236
---

slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 - 12:39 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
Only enemy players

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic