NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 03:31 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Knee! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 02:02 AM

Cool, I'm currently 4th in the Dark Elf Rankings, with one of my wins still to come, should get me in the top 3 Smile

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

Reply with quote Back to top
GeggsterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 04:19 AM
NAF Treasurer

Undisclosed

Great tourney Ben and Simon - a job very well done.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 05:24 AM
Former President

England
Here's the missing IDs:

7584 MikeJ_Deller Mike Deller
6379 Calcium-Hitbone-Squad Neil Caswell
78 Da_Sheriff Ricky Figgins

Cheers mate, was a lot of fun! Smile

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 06:52 AM

final results entered, someone want to hit the big red button to update the rankings?

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Thanks all Smile

if anyone has any comments on the tournament so we can make it even better then feel free to post here or PM me or Simon

From a personal point of view I thought it didn't run quite as smooth as last year, mainly because both myself and Simon were playing and we weren't available to answer questions and sort things out while the rounds were being played. I did think the room was better with lots of space and sofas outside Smile, even though it didn't have any windows. Also the slightly extended shedule from last year (finishing at 6) was much better. If we ever get more than 30 coaches we may have to plan something different for lunch, I think the chef in the Highfield must have had a shock when we turned up on Saturday Smile

Slinky78Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 09:17 AM

England

Thanks for a great weekend.
As I also mentioned in another post my ranking hasn't worked out correctly due to missing th +5.xx from the first round win - possibly linked to it being against Mike Deller who's ID is new as above. If someone who understands could have a look please.

See you next year...
(Highfield Chef may book that weekend off I suspect)

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 22, 2005 - 06:58 PM
Former President

England
      Emberbreeze wrote:
Thanks all Smile

if anyone has any comments on the tournament so we can make it even better then feel free to post here....

Final game was grim in terms of length. As indeed was round 5 on table one. I know both Paul and Dave well (and absolutely no disrespect intended), and I appreciate it was a highly competitive and intense pair of games, yet should such special allowance be afforded merely because it was table one in round 5? That was a loooong game..of course it affected the final, and you can't really call time and dump somebody out of the final by calling time at an inopportune moment...
Still..a situation where everybody else was waiting for the top table to finish round 5 and everybody else knew that the final was going to be a repeat anyway wasn't ideal (even if Dave and Paul weren't aware at the time).
The pair of them are more than capable of playing a game in 2 hours, yet there was not only 'special dispensation' offered in terms of time in round 5 (where everybody else finished beforehand) but the same seemed to hold true for the final were we all started at the same time but everybody seemed to finish before the final even went to OT! And then of course despite the entire room being cleared of tables/chairs etc.. afterwards there was still an apparent need for silence to allow the finalists to concentrate... FFS they know each very other well.. Fanatic Magazine article, ECBBL games, Wodell games, other tourney games.. I appreciate the tense environment and the personal struggle but at some point the organisers have to apply the size 9's up the respective backsides.. just because it's 'Indigo' and 'Geggster' involved in a terse personal battle for 5 halfs in a row doesn't mean others don't have to get home at some point...

Sounds all bad.. just minor criticisms of a thoroughly enjoyable and well organised weekend, really did appreciate the efforts (and hospitality) of the organisers, had a great time!

GeggsterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 01:38 AM
NAF Treasurer

Undisclosed

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, chaps.

It was an epic struggle and one to remember, but obviously understand that others were hanging about for quite a while whilst we duked it out and that must have been infuriating.

You are right - we shouldn't take longer than two hours for a regulation time game - and not too much longer for extra-time too.

Apology offered to all those put out.

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for that DW, I know it seems like a long wait for the top table, but everyone but the last hangers on got away by 7.15 IIRC which was only 15 min later than last year (which did involve overtime as well).

I know we had a policy for games over-running, but I don't think we enforced it all weekend, partly because we had the 'extra' 2 hours in the schedule from last year to take up any slack, and partly (like I said above) I think we were rushed organisation wise, since we were playing, then having to try and organise food, enter results, plan most sporting/best painted, organise prizes, take pictures etc between matches. I was probably greatful for any extra time between rounds I could get Wink

I do realise that because of the slower play and the overtime in the final people where hanging around for maybe as much as an hour after their game finished, which isn't ideal. But other than enforce the 4min time limit, I'm not sure what you could do, no one would want to win the final becasue time was called before an equalising TD could be scored. Maybe the 4min time limit would add to the 'pressure' of the final, but I've never played using it, so couldn't comment.

Anyway I hope the wait at the end (for those who stayed) was worth it and it didn't have too negative a point on what was a great tournament (even if I do say so myself)

and I'm happy because I'm now back at #2 Dark Elf coach Smile

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 02:22 AM
Former President

England
Reading my post back it comes across harsher than I intended it to. There were mutterings about handing out the rest of the prizes though, leaving you two at it and buggering off home. We weren't really going to turn the lights out on the way out, honest guv! Laughing

But congrats Paul, after losing the final last year two in a row would have been cruel. Indi must have played his socks off to for his Zons to stay with your Dwarves for that length of time.

GeggsterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 23, 2005 - 02:36 AM
NAF Treasurer

Undisclosed

I don't think "played his socks off" does Indi (or his socks) justice.

He played absolutely terrific was "on top" (for want of a better phrase), against all that block and tackle, for about 35 successive turns!

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Results

I think this can be unsticked now too

LycosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 - 10:22 AM
Former President

Undisclosed
My one suggestion for next year is checking the rosters are legal. Wink

At least one was illegal with 13 Norse lineman Rolling Eyes

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 26, 2005 - 11:56 AM

why would anyone want 13 linemen?

sorry about that, something I would have done if I wasn't playing...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic