NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 05:23 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are the world champions! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RakarthOffline
Post subject: mighty blow and not having to decide what the +1 goes onto  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 05:51 AM

It has come to my attention that with the new rules for skills that effect dice rolls, you can declare to add the modification after you roll the dice.

This means in the case of mighty blow, you can roll the armour roll before you decide whether to apply the +1 to armour or injury.

So basically, if the +1 makes a difference in getting through the armour, you can add it then, if you get through anyway, you can add the +1 to the injury roll instead.

Is it just me or is this just wrong! surely if the rule says armour or, you have to choose, not roll the dice and just apply to whatever is the best!

any other opinions on this?

Reply with quote Back to top
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Canada
No, the rule is right, you get to choose to add the Mighty Blow after you roll the dice.

If I roll an 11, I don't neet MB and can use it on the injury. If I only tie your armor, I can choose to apply the MB then and go without it for the injury roll.

slupOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 06:31 AM
Big Mek

Undisclosed
You may roll for AV first and then deside to add mighty blow, the same goes for dirty player, diving tackle and break tackle and any other skill with modifiers.

You could also choose not to apply accurate if you think the ball is more safe when fumbled than with an inaccurate pass.

See LRB page 15:
"Many players have skills such as catch, pass etc. Unless stated otherwise in the skill description you never have to use a skill just because the player’s got it, and you can choose to use a skill that affects a dice roll after rolling the dice."

And personally i have no problem with this.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Canada
      slup wrote:
And personally i have no problem with this.

Me neither.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 07:09 AM

Canada
its like not using your dodge skill to fall over a square before being frenzied into the crowd.

Keeps your player on the field if you don't mind risking an armor roll.

RakarthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 08:15 AM

I have dirty players (dark elves) so it is in my favour, but there is no chance involved, whereas the skill description implies a choice, and therefore chance. in this case there is no choice as the dice decide for you.

Just means my dirty players are even more dirty!!

Also, in another topic, it is discussed that where a skill has an effect, it is assumed that skill is automatically used, unless the owning player decides not to use or i some way, ie the strip ball, sure hands arguement in the other topic, and your example of dodge and push back and frenzy.

But in this case, I would have thought it would be presumed that the skill is used automatically, and therefore by default, on the armour roll, unless the player decides not to use it, or to use it on the injury roll istead.

But hey, if the rules say it then that is all there is to it, I guess the gloves come off!!

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Canada
I think its somewheres in the rules that says that you roll the dice, and then decide what skills to use.

The chance is still there, you could foul a guy and roll a 2, DP or not, you didn't do squat (unless you got a dozen assists.) Having a skill like Mighty Blow or Dirty Player lets you change the chance around. Against Armor 9 players, you have a 6 in 36 chance of beating armor. If you have MB, you now have a 10 in 36 chance.

But, yea, feel free to drop the gloves and really scrap with the DPs

SteelThunderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 02:43 PM

United States of America
Isn't the idea of Mighty Blow to help you break armor anyway? That's the way we've always done it. Add the MB to the armor roll if you need to, otherwise you will get to increase your chances of a KO or injury with the injury roll.

I can only imangine that maybe some wussy elf coaches may choose not to apply the MB roll or maybe someone is showing mercy against an opponent they have devestated and doesn't want to kill off someone's player.

NAF#2583

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic