NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 09:24 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Chaos team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2005 - 08:21 PM

Shepherd wrote:
      carmachu wrote:
I dont want them as competative as a normal team, but saying you've only got a 1 in 4 chance of winning isnt good either.

Well, in a "perfectly balanced" world every team has a 1 in 2 chance of winning any match. So having teams that generally win half as many games as Tier 1 teams seems reasonable to me.

I may play vampires next season, because I think it will be funny. I don't expect to win every game. I don't expect to win ANY game. I think it will be funny. And that's cool.

I dont. I'd like to have an outside chance of winning a league. Like I do now with the halfling team. Right now, I'm doing well, but I know as the league progresses, it'll get harder and harder. I dont build as well as, say skaven.

Putting out a team, and saying flat out you'll never have a chance, You'll only ever really win 1 out of 4 games, and building it that way, just seems wrong.

But thats just me. It seems a huge turn off. I was planning on ogres next league, but if the rules hit before the next league, chances are slim I'll play them.

But again, I reserve final judgement until the new rule set is out.

Reply with quote Back to top
ShepherdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 08:34 AM

I'd rank 'flings right in with Vampires, though. I'm not playing to lose, and heck -- if I have a very good season, don't make many mistakes, and get really consistently lucky on the OFAB rolls, I might take it!

But I wouldn't EXPECT to get to the finals. With Chaos Dwarves, Skaven, Orcs or Dwarves, I would be disappointed if I didn't. With Vampires, Flings, Ogres, Khemri, Goblins or Rotters, I'd be proud and pleased if I did. Because these are the "Tier 2" teams, and I'm OK with saying that "generally, they win less games."

As I think Doubleskulls said, that makes victory all the sweeter.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 09:49 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I really don't get the insistence that flings/gobbos whatever have to be as good as Orcs. All the background of the game is that they are rubbish and consistently lose. If you really embrace the 'fling fluff then you ought to expect for your whole team to die every game. In some bizarre way you ought to want your whole team to die, just as much as a Chaos team wants to kill the opposition. That's not to say you shouldn't be trying to win - just that you should expect defeat.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 10:22 AM

Undisclosed
      Doubleskulls wrote:
I really don't get the insistence that flings/gobbos whatever have to be as good as Orcs. All the background of the game is that they are rubbish and consistently lose. If you really embrace the 'fling fluff then you ought to expect for your whole team to die every game. In some bizarre way you ought to want your whole team to die, just as much as a Chaos team wants to kill the opposition. That's not to say you shouldn't be trying to win - just that you should expect defeat.

Without having read the whole thread...I'll just say this. In my mind there is a difference in league play and tourney play that should be factored in the conversation. In either case should the stunty teams absolutely be as good as the "Teir 1" teams?

Maybe not...however, in a tourney setting I believe that some allowances should be made for stunty caoches just for the sake of variety. In North America where tourneys are spread out over great distances the investment in time and money to attend a tourney is fairly large. (At least when compared to tournies in the UK.) Given that, if a coach wants to play a team like Halflings or Goblins for the sake of variety, they should be given the opportunity to compete. Regardless of the rule set it will be a challange, but there are many tournies that either totally do away with the Master Chef or Secret Weapons and others that prohibit skill ups for the Big Guys. WHy would anyone take a stunty team to the tourney? And before you answer that question, let me ask another...Do you really want to go to a tourney and face the same couple of races every time?

On the other hand...in a league setting...the team is the team. They should not be played in a league setting unless the coach understands that they are fighting an uphill battle.

Anyway...there is my take.
-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 10:56 AM

Undisclosed
One added note now that I have read the thread...

I am guessing that someone on the BBRC plays Khemri. Does anyone reaylly think that AG2 balances out four STR5 Players with General Access?

Why is it that the Ogre's are broken to the point that they can only have STR1 complementary players and that Mummies are A-OK? Is it Fluff? Is it because that are a jokety-joke team that is supposed to only win 25% of the time?

Please...someone direct me to the Khemri fluff that says they are supposed to be so competitive.

-Rob

P.S. The statement that the Gobbos are off of the Ogre team because ther already is a Goblin team should be brought to the attention to the person who keeps inventing Undead teams. I mean seriously how many of these variants do we need. I actually like them, but if that is being used as a justification to nerf the Ogre's further than let's please at least be consistant.

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Undisclosed
      Khaine wrote:
There seems to be no real reason to play a team when the only asset is made null and void. Shrug.

General Skill access is the Khemri teams only asset? How about four STR5 blayers...blitzers and throwers. So they are AG2...the Throwers have Sure Hands to start...unlike Wood Elf throwers who certainly have "Surer Hands" than s a skeleton. And the Khemri Blitzers have STR Skill Access...unlike Wights, DE Blitzers, HE Blitzers, and Wardancers.

Seriously...why is the Khemri team beyond reproach?

-Rob

P.S. And Khaime...I know exactly how you feel in terms of buying a team and having the rulkes changed right out from under you. My 17 Ogres will attest to that. (And 18 or so Goblins...if you can trust what they say. Smile )

NAF Member #5236
---

carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:

Please dont bring fluff in, or otherwise when you play marines I have to insist you only set up 10 marines. Fluff has no bearing on rules. Fluff is fluff, rules are rules.

As for insistance: I payed my money to buy the game, and minis, and spent my time assembling and painting. If you think its not worth any consideration, we'll I can always spend it on warmachine. Its one of those problems GW doesnt always consider. But I digress(this is another topic altogether).

Moving on:

Currently, halflings are pretty ok: in league play they'll do better than average in the beginning, but as the league progresses, I'm finding it will be harder and harder to compete. There's a skaven team thats going to give me fit eventually(one turn scorer gutterrunner, and now a ratogre on the line) and an Orc one(every black orc has guard and going on). Halflings wont be able to keep up eventually.

And I can except that.

But being told with ogres, vampires and halflings, well, with the new rules you'll lose 3 out of 4 out of the gate, just yank the teams. Its somewhat pointless.

Futhermore, the opinion that goblins shouldnt be on an ogre team beacuse they have thier own team(and orc team) is bad logic. I mean we have the standard undead team, the necromacor team, the Khemier team, and a vampire team. You've sprinkled the undead far and wide here, I dont see it as a problem.

Granted, I'll wait till final product before really ranting. I may like it. I might not. I'm amused by the reintroduction of snotlings. I dont expect halflings to be treated like a teir 1 team such as chaos, WE, skaven. On the other hand, I dont want them relegated to a joke team either.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Canada
      Quote:
Fluff has no bearing on rules. Fluff is fluff, rules are rules

Quote:
You've sprinkled the undead far and wide here, I dont see it as a problem.

Well, its the fluff that has made the various undead teams that you don't have a problem with. I mean, we might as well have varient Skaven teams with all their different clans, or go back to the days of Brettonian and Imperial teams. Maybe bring back Savage Orcs and stuff.

some teams just aren't ment to win. Yea, you'll win a few games, but if Halflings or Goblins win your league, then theres something wrong with the rest of the players in my opionion. We had a goblin team in the TBBF and he was doing pretty good, until my Orcs played him and killed 4 goblins and injured 4 others. That kinda stuff will happen to the teams eventually and then you're done.

The Ogres are too unpredictable, much like Vampires, with their off for a bite, one turn, they're all going to go bone head and the next turn, your opponent has an easy shot at the goblin with the ball. Let alone how unpredicatable goblins are. Yea, you can dodge anywheres, but you can't get the ball any better than a human lineman.

I don't expect my Ogre team to win many games. The fact that I've won 4 or 5 is a plesant surprise. The goblin teams I've played around with are the same, I don't expect to win, but it is possible, and much more challenging.

[quote]But being told with ogres, vampires and halflings, well, with the new rules you'll lose 3 out of 4 out of the gate, just yank the teams. Its somewhat pointless. [quote]

I'm not sure what your league is like, but in ours, you can play multiple teams. So, why not play a team like this for fun. My Ogres are the perfict example. I'll never use them in any of our league tournaments, they're more like the "hitmen" of the league, softening up an opponents team for someone else. But I don't know where someone gets the idea that you'll only win 1 in 4 games. Thats certinly not the case.

If you're going up against evenly matched TR teams, I'd say that Ogres, Vampires and even Halflings and Goblins have a good shot at winning the game. Goblins and Halflings make great cages. Their stunty/dodge lets you get guys away from your opponent with relitive ease, and then when the cage is surrounded, you can use a troll or a treeman to throw the ball carrir away, or just dodge away with stunty.

Odds are, you won't win with these teams, but with a little bit of luck and a lot of skill, you can get more wins than 1 in 4

carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Paul wrote:
      Quote:
Fluff has no bearing on rules. Fluff is fluff, rules are rules

Quote:
You've sprinkled the undead far and wide here, I dont see it as a problem.

Well, its the fluff that has made the various undead teams that you don't have a problem with. I mean, we might as well have varient Skaven teams with all their different clans, or go back to the days of Brettonian and Imperial teams. Maybe bring back Savage Orcs and stuff.

I really dont care. What I mean is: I dont see the problem with a couple of teams with the same figures: undead have mommies as do Khemier.
Things like that.

Quote:

some teams just aren't ment to win. Yea, you'll win a few games, but if Halflings or Goblins win your league, then theres something wrong with the rest of the players in my opionion. We had a goblin team in the TBBF and he was doing pretty good, until my Orcs played him and killed 4 goblins and injured 4 others. That kinda stuff will happen to the teams eventually and then you're done.

THAT happens to any team. I watch Wensday a DE team lose another 2 guys, while already being down 2, and a few others injured. Death and injury HAPPEN, but that happens to any team. Hell I JUST took my first dead halfling Wensday as well. The new skaven player just took 2 dead in his first game. I fully expect to lose half my halflings one game.

I accept casualties, its part of the game.

Quote:

I'm not sure what your league is like, but in ours, you can play multiple teams. So, why not play a team like this for fun.

Our league allows one and only one team to be played. Now you see why I'd be a bit put off by the "lose 3 out of 4" games.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2005 - 01:28 PM

This bears repeating.
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
One added note now that I have read the thread...

I am guessing that someone on the BBRC plays Khemri. Does anyone reaylly think that AG2 balances out four STR5 Players with General Access?

Why is it that the Ogre's are broken to the point that they can only have STR1 complementary players and that Mummies are A-OK? Is it Fluff? Is it because that are a jokety-joke team that is supposed to only win 25% of the time?

Please...someone direct me to the Khemri fluff that says they are supposed to be so competitive.

-Rob

P.S. The statement that the Gobbos are off of the Ogre team because ther already is a Goblin team should be brought to the attention to the person who keeps inventing Undead teams. I mean seriously how many of these variants do we need. I actually like them, but if that is being used as a justification to nerf the Ogre's further than let's please at least be consistant.
though I doubt anyone will actually touch it....

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 - 07:53 AM

Undisclosed
I'll just say this:

If you don't like the way the Vault/PBBL rules are heading, do what I'm doing and ignore them. Apart from the playtesting I've promised Galak (if he can ever get the time to finish the 2.6 tool version - poor sod!) and attending tourneys that use it (probably the majority) I won't be playing it. We're not going to use it at our club, and if I ever manage to get my tourney organized, it will be under LRB 4.0 rules, regardless of what the official rules are. There will be enough people out there that will either still play or know the old rules to be able to find some games. And if you're a league commish, it's even easier to dismiss them. Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Undisclosed
      carmachu wrote:
      Quote:
I'm not sure what your league is like, but in ours, you can play multiple teams. So, why not play a team like this for fun.

Our league allows one and only one team to be played. Now you see why I'd be a bit put off by the "lose 3 out of 4" games.

I'm just asking here, not geting on your case.

Accepting the fact that in a perfectly balanced rules set, any team should expect to lose 1 in 2 games, what level would you like to see the Tier 2 teams at?

Personally, I've no problem with expecting to lose 3 in 4 games with the lower teams - I play them for laughs/the challenge repectively, but I am interested in what you'd see as a "fair" level.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 - 09:10 AM

Darkson wrote:

I'm just asking here, not geting on your case.

Accepting the fact that in a perfectly balanced rules set, any team should expect to lose 1 in 2 games, what level would you like to see the Tier 2 teams at?

Personally, I've no problem with expecting to lose 3 in 4 games with the lower teams - I play them for laughs/the challenge repectively, but I am interested in what you'd see as a "fair" level.

No problem. I dont see it as getting on my case.

If teir 1 lose 50% of the time, losing 60% of the time, or 65% of the time isnt bad. Less of a chance, but still a decent chance.

Losing 75% of the time really isnt acceptable.

Or how about in cases of leagues, good chance in the beginning, and degenerates as time goes on. I know that say, skaven once built become obscene, as does a good chaos. I dont expect halflings or goblins to keep up, ever.

carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Darkson wrote:
I'll just say this:

If you don't like the way the Vault/PBBL rules are heading, do what I'm doing and ignore them. Apart from the playtesting I've promised Galak (if he can ever get the time to finish the 2.6 tool version - poor sod!) and attending tourneys that use it (probably the majority) I won't be playing it. We're not going to use it at our club, and if I ever manage to get my tourney organized, it will be under LRB 4.0 rules, regardless of what the official rules are. There will be enough people out there that will either still play or know the old rules to be able to find some games. And if you're a league commish, it's even easier to dismiss them. Wink

Depends if the club goes for it or now. If they want to run with the newest rules.....

Doesnt matter. In the end there are plenty of teams to switch to.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Canada
      carmachu wrote:
      Doubleskulls wrote:

Please dont bring fluff in, or otherwise when you play marines I have to insist you only set up 10 marines. Fluff has no bearing on rules. Fluff is fluff, rules are rules.

And if you want to be so true to the "fluff" then why do Ogre teams have to be so bad? In the fluff, they were always a team to be reckoned with. (not to mention that in all the fluff they have gobbos, not snotlings on their teams).

In more fluff-related issues, what about hobgobins? They are supposed to be the stupidest creatures to ever take part in Blood Bowl! There was even mention of one hobgoblin player who had to show up three days early to a game to allow himself time enough to tie his shoelaces! Will we honour the fluff there?

I don't tweaking something that is broken, but what I am seeing coming forth is a major (and mostly unecessary) overhaul.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic