NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 10:11 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Useless Minotaur! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: Luthor too good for tournies?  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 09:15 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
      Doubleskulls wrote:
If its resurrection then I think the cost is about right. Other tournanments don't appear to have been too unbalanced by them at LRB4 costs.
I ask because a similar team won the Zlurpee Bowl.

Luthor
2 Mummies
1 Ghoul
8 Skeletons
1 Re-roll
2 FF

See went undefeated in 6 games.

I've never seen a team with a Star Player do well at any tournament I've allowed them for 3 years. This team was the first and it sounds like it showed up at MOAB as well.

Galak

I remember someone doing well at Eucalytpus Bowl with a Luthor undead team, but Emberezze got a 2/1/3 record him and Vampires at Carnage.

Is Luthor too good at tournaments?

Reply with quote Back to top
PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 09:37 AM

Canada
St 5, Ag 4 Av 9, some people might argue that those stats on 1 player is too good for regular play.

I've never seen him used in a tourney, but I know hes one of the best players out there because he can handle the ball, dodge like an elf and hit like an Ogre. Throw in Block/Dodge and you've got a guy who can carry the ball who is incredibly hard to knock over.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 09:43 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

At 420,000 instead of 380,000 I think he might be more on target. Yeah that's a big price increase but he's the only ST 5 player with AG 4 ... mix in Blodge and he's a threat.

In my 2 games against this team, I fought to a tie once because I managed to knocked Luthor down multiple times and the 2 game Luthor just got really lucky and managed to roll things like one dice blocks to get away.

However ... an extra 40k would have meant that the Undead team I faced would have had to bring FF 1 and only 11 players.

Galak

HangusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 11:31 AM

Undisclosed

Far too good. Played against Emberbreeze's Vamps with Luthor at the last Bloodbowl. Had to hit him with a flesh Golum and two assists just to get push backs because of blodge.

Agreed if they lose him (which is more down to luck than good mangement ) they are a cakewalk to beat but if a good player (like Ember) can get just a couple of players around him to form a cage (so you have to risk one or even half dice) he just walks (with hypno) to the endzone.

Sorry just bitter cos i got Luthored Very Happy

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 11:37 AM

United States of America
So let me get this straight....Tom gets beat BY A GIRL....and now Luthor's price needs to go up? Wink Laughing

Yeah I know I'm just being a punk Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Luthor is not 'that' good IMO

ok, he is massive at ST5 AG4 Blodge, but he is a target and you WILL end up loosing him in tournament play at least once if not more.

Strip ball hurts him loads (and it is quite a common tournament skill) and his MA6 is the real key. I think Griff has to be a better scorer by far.

My record with vamps without luthor is 3:0:6
and with luthor is it 5:2:5 so he helps a vamp team but doesn't break it

I can't comment on khemri or undead as they have access to cheaper linemen and can afford more postionals at the same time as fielding him. In a vamp team you get luthor, 1 vamp 9 thralls, no appoth, 2 rerolls.

In the vault where he has loner I can see him being worse, I don't think a correction is needed if you want ANYBODY to take him. The alternative is to lower his stats if he is concidered too good to be affordable, but I don't think that is the case.

edit: plus if Mummies are likely to go up in cost (?) then that will tone down a luthor khemri/undead team

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

Last edited by Emberbreeze on Oct 06, 2005 - 03:33 PM; edited 2 times in total

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Hangus wrote:
Sorry just bitter cos i got Luthored Very Happy

one of the unlucky few IMHO Very Happy I was very lucky at the BB to only loose him once during a game (although it was BEFORE turn 1 during a blitz!)

the key to beating him is to limit his movement, at MA6 he is too slow to dominate that much. he is more likely to fall over dodging than from blocking most of the time, then put the boot in.

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 02:07 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
At 420,000 instead of 380,000 I think he might be more on target. Yeah that's a big price increase but he's the only ST 5 player with AG 4 ... mix in Blodge and he's a threat.

In my 2 games against this team, I fought to a tie once because I managed to knocked Luthor down multiple times and the 2 game Luthor just got really lucky and managed to roll things like one dice blocks to get away.

However ... an extra 40k would have meant that the Undead team I faced would have had to bring FF 1 and only 11 players.

Galak

but a vampire team wouldn't be able to field him at all (at least not with either a vampire or rerolls) I know I'm going on about vamps, but they are the only undead I play and I really think they need lovin' not nerfin' even more. I think vampires start off worse than goblins, sure they can become powerhouses in league play but it takes a long time and a bit of luck keeping thralls in one piece. The cost of luthor isn't going to change that.

ShepherdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 02:34 PM

I will buy somebody a donut if they make a little "You Got Luthored!" movie with the crappy You Got Served dance music and lots of fast zoom in-zoom outs of Luthor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2005 - 05:29 PM

It does seem silly that a Vampire team couldn't even field the Vampire star without fielding another Vampire.

OT rant- Vampires need a complete revamp (no pun intended). Negatraits are a such a dumb idea. Rolling Eyes THey should never have had ST4AG4 except for the LORD. Then they wouldn't have needed the stupid additional rules. (I blame the damned, hippie powergamers)

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 - 04:09 AM

I think there is nothing wrong with the vampire statline, or the negatrait idea. I just think that thralls are squishy enough and don't need the be killed/SI's by thier own team. BH is enough, or even KO'd

Thralls are what make the team weak IMO

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 - 04:51 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Shepherd wrote:
I will buy somebody a donut if they make a little "You Got Luthored!" movie with the crappy You Got Served dance music and lots of fast zoom in-zoom outs of Luthor.

Hangus wrote:
Sorry just bitter cos i got Luthored

Hehehehe, go on Ben, that would be very, very funny.... Twisted Evil Wink

224th at The World Cup II

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 - 05:01 PM

Having played him in another tourney winning effort first round in MOAB, I'll give some feedback.

I think it depends on the system being used. You have to give up quite a lot to get him. In the league style tourneys we mostly have over here, I think he's fine as long as other star can be freebooted normally. I didn't really get a choice given that I played him first game, but one has to question why there didn't seem to be much Strip ball around to deal with him.

Not sure on a resurrection format - my one tourney experience there is lacking.

In our game though, I did have my opportunity to do well in the game, but the dice were against me, and my opponent played very well.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 - 01:39 AM

I din't play with Luthor having this very hgh prize. Nevertheless, sometimes freebooting Luthor for classic undead in our league and having used him in a resurrection style tournament, I tend to agree that he is too good. Confused

It indeed depends on the format and also on the opponents race. He is hard to bring down and even strip ball includes a high risk. And he perfectly fits into the classic 2:1 approach some undead coaches use, where you wait for the opponent to come to you in order to get beaten up. Even if your Luthor can be blitzed, it is usually not possible to get two dice as long as you keep your players together. So have fun wasting all the rr on dodging in there and getting the ball loose. Confused

And still there is Griff out somewhere.. Evil or Very Mad

Sputnik

HangusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 - 02:01 AM

Undisclosed

dwarfcoach wrote:
      Shepherd wrote:

Hangus wrote:
Sorry just bitter cos i got Luthored

Hehehehe, go on Ben, that would be very, very funny.... Twisted Evil Wink

It is tempting Very Happy , i just do not have a Luthor Fig

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic