NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Human team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 01:52 AM
Former President

England
I'm not going to let this degenerate into personal arguments that are in danger of getting overheated. Bear that in mind please or this thread will be re-locked.

We're way off the Ogre rule topic anyway, anti-GW rants about their policies of WH and WH 40K sales are very old news and aren't really relevent to BB anyway.

As far as BB goes, there's always been change and/or evolution making figures redundant. Who else has 2 surplus Wights, Ogres from Dwarf/Orc teams? I've got a team of (converted) snotlings from 4th ed days, hell, even Daemon and Bretonnian teams were legal for a while, Unicorns for Amazons etc.

We have had free rules for a number of years now, and worth remembering that both High Elf and Undead teams weren't scrapped simply because the community screamed blue murder. Try and apply some perspective.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Canada
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
ALL coaches were invited to join the discussion on multiple occassions. This has been an open forum project since May 10, 2004. So as to what considerations were given to the coaches of existing teams ... they were all openly welcome to participate in the discussions on possible changes to their teams.

Did I miss this? Was there some announcement on NAF to let us know that there was going to be this discussion going on? If so, my apologies for missing it. But if not, then you can hardly say that ALL coaches were invited as we are a large part of the BB gaming community.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 07:12 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Spazzfist wrote:
Did I miss this? Was there some announcement on NAF to let us know that there was going to be this discussion going on? If so, my apologies for missing it. But if not, then you can hardly say that ALL coaches were invited as we are a large part of the BB gaming community.

My first post discussing the PBBL/Vault forum was coming (ie informing NAF):
http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1511

Post announcing the Vault/PBBL forum was open to all BB members
http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1538

My first post asking NAF members to please contribute with a link:
http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1761

==============================

As for did the NAF make an announcement on this on the main page. No, the NAF's position has been that it manages the tournament world and promotes the overall health of the game. So NAF management has never made an announcement over an area they felt was not their jurisdiction. To reinforce, I've never been part of NAF management.

So yeah ... the posts were there Spazzfist ... I'm sorry you missed them.

Galak

bareufOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Paul wrote:
I don't know how final the vault rules are, but what about a mix of Goblin/Snotling players??

that would be a nice suggestion

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Canada
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
So yeah ... the posts were there Spazzfist ... I'm sorry you missed them.

Believe me, so am I! But thanks for letting me know.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 08:15 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Deathwing wrote:
As far as BB goes, there's always been change and/or evolution making figures redundant. Who else has 2 surplus Wights
Yup I have those on the shelf
      Quote:
Ogres from Dwarf/Orc teams?
Yup got those on the shelf
      Quote:
I've got a team of (converted) snotlings from 4th ed days,
I do as well
      Quote:
hell, even Daemon and Bretonnian teams were legal for a while
I have all 4 Daemon teams and a converted Bretonnian team from 4th edition
      Quote:
Unicorns for Amazons etc.
Yup got the Unicorn.

Quote:
Try and apply some perspective.
Deathwing forgot to mention having a Slann team which I do as well.

I wanted to post this with Deathwing's list ... because I want to reinforce that I am very aware of how changes to the official rules can suck when you've purchased the minis. Every single one of the changes Deathwing lists above has been money I spent that is no longer for an official part of a team. I won't approve a change to the rule that would cost the players money to deal with unless I felt game balance was a stake. I'll leave it at that.

Galak

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Undisclosed
Or you can do what I'm doing, which is to ignore the "official" Ogre team, and play a (imo) much more interesting one.

Code:
0-12  Ogre Blocker   5  5  1  9  Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, TSkull, Big Guy 100k   S
0-4   Ogre Blitzer   5  5  2  9  Bonehead, Mighty Blow, TSkull, TTM 120k   S
0-4   Goblin Catcher 6  2  3  7  Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff 40k   A

70k Rerolls

That's the one which will be in our league rulebook (though I might go 6/2/3/6 for the Gobs, and call 'em Knoblars, as I like those figs), and the one which will be in our tourney (if I ever gor it off the ground).

I do agree with ABigwood though - wheter of not it had anything to do with GW, to those that "aren't in the know" it will just look like another case of GW screwing over it's customers.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Darkson wrote:
Or you can do what I'm doing, which is to ignore the "official" Ogre team, and play a (imo) much more interesting one.

Code:
0-12  Ogre Blocker   5  5  1  9  Mighty Blow, Really Stupid, TSkull, Big Guy 100k   S
0-4   Ogre Blitzer   5  5  2  9  Bonehead, Mighty Blow, TSkull, TTM 120k   S
0-4   Goblin Catcher 6  2  3  7  Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff 40k   A

70k Rerolls

That's the one which will be in our league rulebook (though I might go 6/2/3/6 for the Gobs, and call 'em Knoblars, as I like those figs), and the one which will be in our tourney (if I ever gor it off the ground).

I do agree with ABigwood though - wheter of not it had anything to do with GW, to those that "aren't in the know" it will just look like another case of GW screwing over it's customers.

That's not a bad team.. The RS makes the lone ogres really unreliable, and the ogre blitzers are the only one chucking gobbies. Plus I'm assuming that since your line ogres are "Big Guys" they can't use rerolls.. I actually like the idea of this team. It seems more like an ogre team and not a snotling team..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Undisclosed
This is similar team that I suggested (this one's better). But the die has been cast I'm afraid. We'll get what we're given and like it!

Andrew

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:41 AM

Undisclosed
      ABigwood wrote:
This is similar team that I suggested (this one's better). But the die has been cast I'm afraid. We'll get what we're given and like it!

Like I said, if you don't like it, house-rule it out and put something you do like in it's place. It's not like GW are going to send the Rule-Enforcement squad round to check up on you. Wink

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:46 AM

Undisclosed
      Khaine wrote:
That's not a bad team.. The RS makes the lone ogres really unreliable, and the ogre blitzers are the only one chucking gobbies. Plus I'm assuming that since your line ogres are "Big Guys" they can't use rerolls.. I actually like the idea of this team. It seems more like an ogre team and not a snotling team..

Just to point out, I can't take any credit for that team, it was the one that TBB devised whe the Ogre figs were announced.

But yeah, the Ogre Blockers are BG's, so can't use RR's. The "fluff" behind it was that the clever Ogres mainly got out of their own teams, and went to play for others for more money (or whatever).
With only 4 players that can assist the RS guys (the Goblins/Knoblars), it makes having a full squad of Ogres less palatable, though you could risk it if you wanted to.

One of the reasons that it never stood a chance was that JJ reckoned it would be to difficult to tell the RS Ogres from the BH ones. Well, that "might" have been an issue (though total bollox if you ask me), but with those very nice Ogre Kingdom plastics out now, it would be a perfect time to bring it back. Of course, the fact that OK plastics would go on the balance sheet for WFB and not for Fanatic makes it a complete non-starter;).

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 01:48 PM

Canada
Okay....

I have had a chance to read over the vault rules, and I have to ademit that overall I do like a lot of what I am seeing in there. Skills like jump up being split into two skills and cool new skills like "Wrestle" make for a more interesting game. Also the fact that the Nurgle team is becoming a more viable for league play is very welcome.

However, I still have to say that I am unhappy about the ogres. I feel that there are better things that could be done with them. As Darkson suggested, having a distinction between ogre types would be one route. You could make the team more balanced in league play without cutting them off at the knees.

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 17, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Undisclosed
Like I said, if you don't like it, house-rule it out and put something you do like in it's place. It's not like GW are going to send the Rule-Enforcement squad round to check up on you. Wink[/quote]

Yeah that's true at home. But at tournament level you're stuck with the piss-poor 'official' list. I just don't get why the team had to be utterly crippled to make it 'balanced'. But what do I know I only buy the product and play the game. I'm not the one that should be happy with rules now am I?

Andrew

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Quote:

One of the reasons that it never stood a chance was that JJ reckoned it would be to difficult to tell the RS Ogres from the BH ones. Well, that "might" have been an issue (though total bollox if you ask me), but with those very nice Ogre Kingdom plastics out now, it would be a perfect time to bring it back. Of course, the fact that OK plastics would go on the balance sheet for WFB and not for Fanatic makes it a complete non-starter;).

Oh man that's just BS. Something as simple as bases with a specific rock, or colored ring around the outside would solve any problem with remembering RS. I can see where there Might be a concern, but it just seems unfounded since it could be taken care of quite easily. Well thanks for the view of what ogres could have been, I guess since I have yet to be to a tourney, I won't cry too much.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Undisclosed
      ABigwood wrote:
Yeah that's true at home. But at tournament level you're stuck with the piss-poor 'official' list. I just don't get why the team had to be utterly crippled to make it 'balanced'. But what do I know I only buy the product and play the game. I'm not the one that should be happy with rules now am I?

I guess wheter a "varient" Ogre list would be acceptable at a tourney is a) up to the TO, and b) up to the NAF officials (for ranking purposes).

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic