NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:30 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
New coach needed for Chaos All-Stars. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 11:21 AM

Canada
      Darkson wrote:
I guess wheter a "varient" Ogre list would be acceptable at a tourney is a) up to the TO, and b) up to the NAF officials (for ranking purposes).

If it were okay with the NAF officials, then I would definitely allow the variant ogre team at my tourney.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Reply with quote Back to top
biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Undisclosed
Yeah, it's a much better variant. As for models, the ogres leaning down in a 'sprinting' (almost three-point stance) position are blitzers, the ones standing more upright are blockers. Really complicated hey?

The 'reviewers' keep espousing the virtues of 'old BB'. Well what about 16 identical figures with only coloured rings to differentiate? That wasn't too complicated.

As I said earlier though, it doesn't matter. We've all been told what's best for us.

Andrew

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 10:01 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

It will be interesting ... I just opened an online league for the new rules.

2nd most popular team being taken right now ... Ogres. We'll see if it keeps up. But for a team that you guys keep telling me was completely trashed ... doesn't seem to lack interest.

I guess that's my way of saying ... just because you think the team is worse doesn't mean everyone else does.

And I freely admit people are just starting to sign up for teams so it is REALLY early. But I thought this early trend was interesting

Galak

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Darkson wrote:
      ABigwood wrote:
Yeah that's true at home. But at tournament level you're stuck with the piss-poor 'official' list. I just don't get why the team had to be utterly crippled to make it 'balanced'. But what do I know I only buy the product and play the game. I'm not the one that should be happy with rules now am I?

I guess wheter a "varient" Ogre list would be acceptable at a tourney is a) up to the TO, and b) up to the NAF officials (for ranking purposes).

Oh, there's a good idea. Rolling Eyes Don't you think the rankings are a big enough joke without adding variant rosters into the mix?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2005 - 07:26 AM

Canada
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
I guess that's my way of saying ... just because you think the team is worse doesn't mean everyone else does.

I think that that is an unfair assumption that you are making. Just because people are choosing the team does not mean they like the changes made to them. Maybe they are choosing the team to see if it is really as bad as we fear.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2005 - 07:58 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Spazzfist wrote:
I think that that is an unfair assumption that you are making. Just because people are choosing the team does not mean they like the changes made to them. Maybe they are choosing the team to see if it is really as bad as we fear.
Could be. ... we'll see as feedback comes in from them.

Galak

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 01:48 AM

Undisclosed
My exact thought Spazz. People want to try them out. That doesn't suddenly mean that 'you da man!' Galak. People are curious. If you want stats have a look at how many people are still playing those teams after a few weeks. I've said it before with Goblins and halflings, there is always the chance of victory and when you pull it off it's a memorable game. It's NO FUN, playing a team that gets hosed each and every time. That is not balance it's lining the team up for being removed due to 'lack of interest'. Convenient heh?

Andrew

BTW. I don't think I've ever read a more smug, 'told you so!' post as yours Galak. Well done.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 03:29 AM

Undisclosed
      snotsngrots wrote:
      Darkson wrote:
      ABigwood wrote:
Yeah that's true at home. But at tournament level you're stuck with the piss-poor 'official' list. I just don't get why the team had to be utterly crippled to make it 'balanced'. But what do I know I only buy the product and play the game. I'm not the one that should be happy with rules now am I?

Oh, there's a good idea. Rolling Eyes Don't you think the rankings are a big enough joke without adding variant rosters into the mix?

Which is why I said it should be up to the NAF officials as to wheter to allow them in the rankings or not.
If they say "no", then that's fine, just don't count any game where a varient roster (of any race) took part.

As for the rankings being a joke already, I don't think they are, but I don't exactly take them seriously in the first place. It's not like they're going to make me any money if mine get better.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 05:59 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Just on the rankings. As far as I am concerned you can allow squirrel teams in your tournaments if you want (I'm sure Galak has a list somewhere Wink) but there is no way any unofficial team should count for ranking purposes so games including them would not be included. That was the rule for all the "experimental" teams and I see no reason to change it.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 07:16 AM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:
Just on the rankings. As far as I am concerned you can allow squirrel teams in your tournaments if you want (I'm sure Galak has a list somewhere Wink) but there is no way any unofficial team should count for ranking purposes so games including them would not be included. That was the rule for all the "experimental" teams and I see no reason to change it.

and if you see no reason to change it, then why should we?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 12:04 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

ABigwood wrote:
BTW. I don't think I've ever read a more smug, 'told you so!' post as yours Galak. Well done.
Andrew ... geesch ... that post wasn't meant to be smug. It was meant to point out just what it did ... the roster isn't so bad that folks are walking away from it.

The rules rules allow Snotlings to land and knock down other players and to be picked up on a 2+. Add to this that we gave the team back it re-rolls and 1.10 with the ST pickup rule that will be in 1.11 did a lot to reduce what you feel made the team not worth playing.

And I said in my post it was early. So yeah ... in a couple weeks if the coaches of the Ogre teams walk away it says something. We'll have to see what happens. But at least I'll be able to see some of this, and I'm going to play an Ogre team myself in the league to see my thoughts on it as well. But with 2+ inaccurate throws ... I'm definitely thinking folks will need to stay on their toes because of the ability of the team to head on way and on a 2+/2+/4+ combo ... go the other no matter who is in the way. This however is theory ... I wait to see the proof of the matches.

Galak

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 12:50 PM

Canada
      Quote:
The rules rules allow Snotlings to land and knock down other players

I havn't read the rules yet, but are you saying we're going to be allowed to throw players directly at the opposing team now?????

If so, then you can make em st 0 snotlings, I don't care, I'm playing them.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 - 02:43 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Paul wrote:
I havn't read the rules yet, but are you saying we're going to be allowed to throw players directly at the opposing team now?????

If so, then you can make em st 0 snotlings, I don't care, I'm playing them.
The pass is always inaccurate but yes you can throw them at other players. It has been pointed out probability wise that if you are trying to hit someone ... you are better off throwing one square beside them than at them.

But yes ... thrown players can take out opponents just like they can in the LRB 4.0.

Galak

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2005 - 12:08 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      ABigwood wrote:
Andrew ... geesch ... that post wasn't meant to be smug.

I think you just come across that way. I read that into a lot of your posts. I know and like you but have a hard time holding my tongue sometimes when you state thing the way you do. You know that already though. Embarassed

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic