NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 07, 2024 - 12:26 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where did that Slann guy go? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 11:40 AM

United States of America
well you'll continue to recruit the local crowd but people who live farther than 4-6 hours away will have a hard time, I think.
As for May I recommended June, but since Tom has made this his baby, his schedule conflicts with it.

it really is a bad time of the year.

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 01:46 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

gken1 wrote:
As for May I recommended June, but since Tom has made this his baby, his schedule conflicts with it.
I pretty much inherited the Chaos Cup. Never really went out of my way to ask for it ... just sorta happened.

Galak

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 02:54 PM

United States of America
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
      gken1 wrote:
I pretty much inherited the Chaos Cup. Never really went out of my way to ask for it ... just sorta happened.

Galak

hey, not blaming you or anything. You've definitely added to the experience with the mini's, rules and just the dedication. I'm just saying if you really want the tournament to grow, you need the out of towners. And I know just from my league that it's a bad time of the year.
I know Gencon is middle of August, so why not middle of July for CC? One month should be plenty of time and it'd definitely be easier to cross promote with the closer time frame.

For the out of towners to make this work, it's basically a 4-day weekend.
I REALLY think you should consider this tom as you're running it. November might fit perfectly into your schedule, but the big tournies do occur during the summer. I don't think that it's just a coincidence.

As for the other GW store taking charge, Bampf has GW ties and did offer to take it over and run it in Baltimore, a more population centric place imho. But you've invested alot of the time and effort into the tourney so I AM NOT recommending moving the tourney, just moving it to a more friendly time of the year.

majortuskOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2005 - 03:52 PM

United States of America
how about i put up a poll on TCC.com

BBC Lockerroom

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2005 - 06:25 AM

The other major gaming convention (Origins) occurs the first or second week of July every year in Columbus. If we held the Chaos Cup in the middle of July, we would probably lose some players to that (I know I'd be one).

ValenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2005 - 06:36 AM

England
Well back now and would just like to say yet again I had a great weekend, and as long as it doenst clash with any of the other majors then i will be back next year (I am trying to do the 4 majors next year Smile )

With those prizes on offer the euro turnout next year should be alot bigger, so I think trying to avoid the bigger euro tornis may be a good idea, but that is just my opinion.

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2005 - 10:11 AM

The Fall isn't necessarily bad. There were 32 players at The Deathbowl in mid-October. The 5 hour drive from Boston to Montreal (much longer in the pouring rain like this time, ugh) is fine for me. Even up to a 7-8 drive I'd consider; but alas a trip out to Chicago is not a quick jaunt.

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2005 - 08:42 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Hey Val glad you made it home alright it was nice meeting you in person. Hope to see you next year.

vt_doogieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2005 - 11:50 AM

United States of America
I can confirm gken's thoughts. I know that I had a real-life football game to go to that weekend which knocked it out of my schedule. I would have loved to go, but bad time of year. 2 other members of our league also have season ticket to RL football. Heck most of the appeal to this game in the states is that is like RL football.

Personal Opinion is try to work with an existing 3-day weekend period. It should help attendence as more can travel from distance having to take only 1-day off from work. Also work it in either leading up to RL football season or right after RL football ends to feed off that.

Potential dates that would fit that mold:
4th of July weekend
Labor Day weekend (RL football starts around here and GenCon so probably a bad idea)
Columbus Day (in the middile of RL football)
Veterans Day (too close to Thanksgiving)
President's Day (timing is near SuperBowl, think this would be a great time IMO)
Other 3-days:
Memorial Day (end of May)

That President's Day weekend would seem to me to be a very good timeframe to have this major, other than weather. The NFL season is coming to a conclusion with interest and excitement in football near its height. Perfect time to try to suck new coaches in and energize people. The 3-day weekend helps on having to take less vacation time. Not sure if travel costs are down or up that time of year on flights and such...

Clearly trying to do that for next year won't work, not much time between tourneys. (2 months)

My rambling thoughts on the topic.
VTdoogie

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2005 - 12:05 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Vetrens day would only be a week later. But from what i've seen tournaments on holiday weekends have never faired well.

vt_doogieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2005 - 12:36 PM

United States of America
Personally for me anytime during football season (Sep-Dec) is bad.

I would think in the US 3-day weekend tourneys would do well. How many have been tried? I don't believe many have been done.

Gken ran the DC Invitational on Memorial Day weekend here. attendence wasn't bad... believe 16 or so and we didn't advertise very early.

I believe setting up a major for a 3-day weekend could work quite well for pulling out-of towners. The need to take 2 days of work off is a major downer for many a tourney for me.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2005 - 12:40 PM

United States of America
Also I think if the tourney was held in the summer 4 guys from my league would probably make the trip.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2005 - 12:42 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
I say just pick a date, and stick to it.

If you schedule it.. they will come.

StoutYoungbloodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2005 - 06:45 AM

Undisclosed
      Xtreme wrote:
Vetrens day would only be a week later. But from what i've seen tournaments on holiday weekends have never faired well.

I believe trying to plan an event on a holiday weekend would be less successful for bringing in more people. The date it is on is a good one. Lets leave it there.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2005 - 07:33 AM

United States of America
      StoutYoungblood wrote:

I believe trying to plan an event on a holiday weekend would be less successful for bringing in more people. The date it is on is a good one. Lets leave it there.

yeah, cuz 22 and 18 are great numbers for a major.....

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic