NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 08, 2024 - 01:17 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2005 - 08:06 AM

Toronto, ON
I think I would be tempted to take a middle of the road approach. Then again it would depend on the team too. Some teams obviosuly will do better with less additional skills.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Reply with quote Back to top
CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Where's my soap box? Who took my soap box dang it! Evil or Very Mad

All right I can take a hint Wink

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2005 - 08:51 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I think it would be an interesting tournament John. In theory if we get inducements working the way you want ... you would be giving up a 5 to 15% handicap right off the bat if you went with a lower TV team and planned on picking inducements for each match. Yeah you would get to tailor your inducements for each game, but an inducements is always worse than developing the item on your own.

Rerolls ... purchased is 40k to 70k ... induced is 100k
Positional players ... induced cost 30k more and have to roll a 4+ to not waste a team re-roll if they try to use one.

So I admit it would be an interesting contest.

Just thinking about strategy. If I ran Amazons for instance to this 1,600,000 tournament ... I'd probably bring a team worth 1,300,000 with the assumption that if I ran into any of the Undead teams I could put Zara on my roster (assuming that said Undead team brought a TV of at least 1,570,000)

But what I meant about optimizing ... an Amazon team at 1,600,000 if tailor built for your tournament and decided to spend the full 1,600,000 might look like this:

4 Blitzers 6337 Block, Dodge, Strip Ball, Juggernaut
1 Thrower 6337 Block, Dodge, Pass, Accurate, Leader
1 Thrower 6337 Block, Dodge, Pass, Accurate
2 Catchers 7337 Block, Dodge, Catch, +1 MA, Fend
3 Linewomen 6337 Block, Dodge, Fend
4 re-rolls
3 Fan Factor
Apothecary
That team is worth 1,600,000 in PBBL and would play pretty darn well ... it would be interesting to see how it fared against other teams that were designed to that level.

The other interest would be if folks would not spend the full 1,600,000. If two such players played ... their stategies would be really disrupted since they probably came planning on using inducements and suddenly may not have any at all.

It would be interesting to see some of the other races ... I'd definitely try Halflings with these rules.

2 Treemen with Block, Pro, Multiple Block, Grab
4 Halflings with +1 AG
6 Halflings with Diving Tackle
Apothecary
3 Rerolls
6 Fan Factor

This would add up to 1,250,000. Assuming I faced a full 1,600,000 I could then add Deeproot (250k) and a Master Chef (100k)

JoemanjiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 05:52 AM

England
I think 1,600,000 is a bit over the top. When I considered how you might run a PBBL tournament, I thought a Team Value of up to 120 would probably work. This would allow some scope to throw in some skills and develop some players, but without carte blanche. I think this would be the really interesting part of desigining a team for a PBBL tournament: do you go for extra players or extra skills? With TR160, there is no choice involved. Too open to abuse ... everyone would just take OTS gutter runners. Yuck. Smile

I don't really see Inducements as an integral part of a PBBL tournament anyway. The possibility to gain skills is enough for me. But if a tournament did use Inducements, I would take my team at full cost minus 10K. So in Neo's example, I'd pick a TV159 team. My assumption would be that coaches planning to use Inducements would leave the exact difference they wanted to use between their TV and 160. So, for example, Galak left exactly 250K off his team to buy Deeproot and a Master Chef. Against me he would only have 240K to spend ... which would hopefully put a major spanner in the works for him. That would be worth 10K IMO. Smile

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 07:11 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Nazgit wrote:
So, for example, Galak left exactly 250K off his team to buy Deeproot and a Master Chef. Against me he would only have 240K to spend ... which would hopefully put a major spanner in the works for him. That would be worth 10K IMO. Smile
Good strategy. I'd have to have a backup plan for 340k ... Probably would be a Bloodweister babe instead of the Chef and then 40k wasted ... but that would mean a good strategy move on your part as making me waste 40k would be a good for your team.

I do agree though that 1,600,000 might be a bit much ... however ... if you didn't allow stat increases ... it might not be so bad.

Galak

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 09:38 AM

Netherlands
So the event would be more interesting at a lower value. What would be an interesting starting value that would allow for some variation but also some room for lowballing and going for stars to fit your opponent's team?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 02:57 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

neoliminal wrote:
So the event would be more interesting at a lower value. What would be an interesting starting value that would allow for some variation but also some room for lowballing and going for stars to fit your opponent's team?

The most expensive Star is Morg at 430k. However a lot of the Big Guy stars get complained about and are the things we are working on the most.

My best thoughts on what would be interesting to me.

1) 1,300,000 team values allowed.
2) You may add normal or doubles skills to your players and a player may have more than one skill added (but not more than 6).
3) Statistical increases may not be added to any players.
4) You must have 11 players on your starting roster without using Star Players, Mercenaries, or Journeymen for any of the 11.
5) Any of the 1,300,000 not spent on your roster does not count toward Team Value.

===

I think that would make an interesting event. With that roster you'd have to really low ball your roster to get any of the Big Guy stars.

Galak

JoemanjiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 03:32 PM

England
I agree that ruling out stat increases would be the only way to go. Even allowing for one is too much, as it allows easy access to OTS for some teams.

JoemanjiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 03:39 PM

England
For Goblins at TR130 you might look at:

Varag (230K)
Ripper (220K)
2 Trolls (220K)
10 Goblins (400K)
Looney (40K)
3 re-rolls (180K)
FF 1 (10K)

I've only had a game and a half at it, but I have found that four ST5+ players and a chainsaw can be quite effective.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2005 - 08:12 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Nazgit wrote:
I've only had a game and a half at it, but I have found that four ST5+ players and a chainsaw can be quite effective.
Hey Naz ... my math might be bad ... but who is the 4th ST 5+ player?

Galak

JoemanjiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2005 - 08:13 AM

England
Sorry ... there isn't one. Varag's combo of skills makes him almost as useful though (Block, MB, Pro & Jump Up).

Looking back at that Gobbo list above though, I'd still rather take a standard roster with a few skills. E.g. Humans.

XeterogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2005 - 06:57 PM

Texas
I'd play if I could easily afford to get to the tournament (usually the limiting factor for me). I'm kinda hoping Galak uses PBBL for GenCon next year Smile

Anyway, 1.3 mil with no stat increases would be a good one.

Could you keep back money for Chirurgeons and/or inducements (oh, I guess any money not spent does not go to TV means you could get them if the team you are playing has more TV than you do)... (a chirurgeon would be of use in a tourney..)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic